Why don't more African Americans play Hockey?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: dbk
Because they can play the other sports and make way more money

NHL players make more money than NFL players...

no, they dont. Hockey is a much smaller market and pays their players much less than the average football player.

And now that I've said that somebody will probably post a link showing the most payed hockey player vs some 3rd string football lineman to try and prove me wrong. But in general Football and even baseball players make LOTS more money than Hockey players.

edit.... so looking at the information i found it seems the avg hockey player does get payed more than a football player. However there are more players on a football team so I dunno how the averages work out.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy
Originally posted by: TallBill
For fuck's sake, it's BLACK.

I find that offensive.

African American is offensive.

Most black people in the world don't come from Africa, and of the ones that do most are not American. Even then, the term shouldn't assume skin color. Charlize Theron is African American.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

I find that offensive.

Most black people in the world don't come from Africa, and of the ones that do most are not American. Even then, the term shouldn't assume skin color. Charlize Theron is African American.

Don't confuse logic with political correctness. Next thing you'll be telling people that native americans can be anyone born in America.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: TehMac
Chris Rock is funny, but I find it rather disturbing that people are taking a comedian's jokes as gospel truth on how society functions.

Gospel truth? Nah...

However, I think comedians have a way of bringing to light certain social taboos and oddities that exist within a culture.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: dudeman007
Originally posted by: blinky8225
It's an expensive sport to play. Skates, stick, ice rink time aren't cheap. The fact is blacks as a group tend to have a lower socioeconomic status than other races.

There's not much encouragement either from their peers. There has been success promoting lacrosse recently in Harlem, though. Charitable programs such as that would be a good start.

A lot of black people play football...isn't that an expensive sport?

You have to play hockey starting from way before you're 10 years old. Some start at 4 or 5. Think of all the growth you go through and skates alone can be a couple hundred, sticks need to be longer and can be a hundred something, the rest of the pads also run into the hundreds. Playing on youth teams run $500 or so a season. You can't compare this to a basketball and some jerseys, or a helmet/shoulder pads of football (usually provided).

I have twin boys and I'm putting them on the ice as soon as possible and we'll see if they pick it up... if they like it, I'll definitely fork over the money because I love it that much myself. Right now I play with a few who play with their sons too. Some kid is 17 and he's been the best linemate ever. He certainly didn't get those skills from his dad - but just imagine playing an organized sport with your own son. Good times.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
black people, like all racial demographics congregate more in specific geographical locations, and those places tend to not be places with a ton of ice. it is the same reason there are no asians in hockey despite our 'higher economic and education status."

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Linflas

I find that offensive.

Don't confuse logic with political correctness. Next thing you'll be telling people that native americans can be anyone born in America.

All I have left is logic :(

minime72706

Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Glitchny

no, they dont. Hockey is a much smaller market and pays their players much less than the average football player.

And now that I've said that somebody will probably post a link showing the most payed hockey player vs some 3rd string football lineman to try and prove me wrong. But in general Football and even baseball players make LOTS more money than Hockey players.

edit.... so looking at the information i found it seems the avg hockey player does get payed more than a football player. However there are more players on a football team so I dunno how the averages work out.

NFL
NHL

The pay is actually very similar. Except the the average career in the NFL is much shorter than NHL. And the endorsements are probably much less for the superstars.

I think it has more to do with the lack of Americans in the league. The majority of stars and even players I believe are Canadian and European/Russian.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
It's not because of money.

Plenty of wealthy white people where I grew up (suburbs of Dallas, TX) and outside of the occasional roller hockey player no one played hockey. It's about the culture of the game.

Where is hockey popular? In the North. What's the ethnic break down of the North? Not too many black people.

For that matter where is hockey REALLY popular? Canada. Not sure what the percentage of blacks in canada is though.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: minime72706
Originally posted by: Glitchny

NFL
NHL

The pay is actually very similar. Except the the average career in the NFL is much shorter than NHL. And the endorsements are probably much less for the superstars.

I think it has more to do with the lack of Americans in the league. The majority of stars and even players I believe are Canadian and European/Russian.

yup, and considering averages, only the NFL superstars are going to make anything significant off of endorsements, thus what I said holds true in that the average NHL players does make more money than the average NFL player.

Glitchny , its pretty simple - NFL teams have to field much larger rosters and play far fewer games (ticket revenue), that's where the difference is made up, it doesn't matter that the NFL is far more popular.

Of course with the NFL apparently moving toward no cap, things might change, but right now the argument that blacks don't play hockey because of monetary reasons is ridiculous.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: TehMac
Chris Rock is funny, but I find it rather disturbing that people are taking a comedian's jokes as gospel truth on how society functions.

Gospel truth? Nah...

However, I think comedians have a way of bringing to light certain social taboos and oddities that exist within a culture.

Chris Rock is pretty good at it too. He doesn't hold any punches, either.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
In general black folks don't like water, almost as much as they don't like cold.

Ice? It's like a double whammy of do not want.

this.

1) Expensive
2) Mostly northern sport - less % of population is black
3) White
4) Cold

perfect storm enough that there would be almost no black people that play the sport.

Expanding on the water thing - i think watersports is bad for black people hair (so says my black friend). Ironically I think they have the most optimal body type for swimming - wide shoulders lean body, no hair.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ed21x
black people, like all racial demographics congregate more in specific geographical locations, and those places tend to not be places with a ton of ice. it is the same reason there are no asians in hockey despite our 'higher economic and education status."

yea, but us asians are cheap. Plus we'd get pummeled.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: spidey07
In general black folks don't like water, almost as much as they don't like cold.

Ice? It's like a double whammy of do not want.

this.

1) Expensive
2) Mostly northern sport - less % of population is black
3) White
4) Cold

perfect storm enough that there would be almost no black people that play the sport.

Expanding on the water thing - i think watersports is bad for black people hair (so says my black friend). Ironically I think they have the most optimal body type for swimming - wide shoulders lean body, no hair.

Yep, they just don't like water. I have a Haitian friend who commented on the situation in Haiti:

"Black people don't like water. We can't swim. Want proof? There are still people in Haiti."