Why does the right want to sell us into slavery?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Man OP the more you post the more I believe your with the government. We the people may call ourselves Dems .or rep. But the People you vote for are the same both rep.and dem . Its designed to divide us. No Americans should call themselves either, As they(politicans) are infact the same wolf in differant costumes. All bought anf paid for . no americans should vote on people who spend Millions to get your vote . We need an intenet that pulls a name out of a hat. Put just any lawbiding citizen in power and well get better than what we got.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Man OP the more you post the more I believe your with the government. We the people may call ourselves Dems .or rep. But the People you vote for are the same both rep.and dem . Its designed to divide us. No Americans should call themselves either, As they(politicans) are infact the same wolf in differant costumes. All bought anf paid for . no americans should vote on people who spend Millions to get your vote . We need an intenet that pulls a name out of a hat. Put just any lawbiding citizen in power and well get better than what we got.

a quick Google search leads me to believe that its possible that the OP may be a recent college grad who did have some classes in federal law. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch to guess that he is a young person working for the government or a related agency.

Or he is just completely out of touch with reality.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yet someone who wasn't part of these said negotiations is forced to join the union to work at said company. Sounds like slavery to me. I'm just glad I happen to live in a state where slavery is against the law (right to work).

Well, you don't know what the word "slavery" means then. Deciding to take a job is voluntary on your part, the conditions of your employment are set out before you take the job.

If you want to describe getting a job as slavery, ok. But whether there's a requirement to join the union isn't different than any other condition you agree too.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
What is and what was are 2 differant things. In todays world you either work as a Master slave or as a slave . If you want a life thats so called good . You work . Its slavery redefined as you have 2 choices work to better yourself or let the state take care of you and put the burden on the working slaves. By whos authority are the meaning of words changed such as the word gay , Who gave these people such authority. I didn't and I have = authority as any MAN has, So I just redefined the meaning of modern slavery . The real differance is we have 2 classes of slaves now . Our task masters and than us. Than there is that other element the people who live off the system who abide by no laws the bloodsuckers of the working class slave. There are exceptions and thats impossiable to define without logic and circumstances.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'm impressed that dcal has been able to start two blatant troll threads without getting them locked.

It's an unpopular opinion not a troll thread. It also seems to he's been seriously debunked.

Your post borders on a Mod Callout. If you have a question about the moderating take it to the Moderator Discussions forum. Failure to do so in the future will result in an infraction and a possible timeout.

Anandtech Admin
Red Dawn

Last edited by a moderator:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Well, you don't know what the word "slavery" means then. Deciding to take a job is voluntary on your part, the conditions of your employment are set out before you take the job.

If you want to describe getting a job as slavery, ok. But whether there's a requirement to join the union isn't different than any other condition you agree too.

I'm just glad that there are plenty of states who see things differently than you do and don't force employees to be slaves to the unions.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yet someone who wasn't part of these said negotiations is forced to join the union to work at said company. Sounds like slavery to me. I'm just glad I happen to live in a state where slavery is against the law (right to work).

Yeh, it's a bitch- kinda like being born into a society & forced to obey the law.

I'm just glad that there are plenty of states who see things differently than you do and don't force employees to be slaves to the unions.

Yeh, being a slave to the Union is a really bad deal, considering that average wages are $5K less per year in RTW states-

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/legislativealert/stateissues/work/index.cfm

Facts obviously have no role in the formulation of your opinions, such as they are. Rave on, like a good corporate tool, OK?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
To think I make at least 20% more than a union shop worker and this is before their union dues are deducted, so rave on with your bullshit.

Unions push wages upward. Even at non union jobs, employers are more likely to want to keep their employees happy to prevent them from unionizing.

If America were more unionized I guarantee we'd make more money, get more time off, and better benefits. You know, like 50 years ago.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/03/unions-income-inequality/
unionincome.jpg

Looks like we're on a clear path to slavery, unless you're one of those rightwingers who doesn't believe in trends.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Unions push wages upward. Even at non union jobs, employers are more likely to want to keep their employees happy to prevent them from unionizing.

If America were more unionized I guarantee we'd make more money, get more time off, and better benefits. You know, like 50 years ago.

I get 4 weeks off with pay, I'll get my 5th week off in two more years. I have great benefits. So adding a union to the mix would only reduce my take home pay and possibly cause me to lose money due to a strike......no thanks!

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Huh, if anyone is turning the Americans into slaves it is "progressive" government polices and burdensome taxes.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I get 4 weeks off with pay, I'll get my 5th week off in two more years. I have great benefits. So adding a union to the mix would only reduce my take home pay and possibly cause me to lose money due to a strike......no thanks!

Good for you. Most Americans get less than 2 weeks off a year.

I get 21 days sick time and 21 days vacation time per year because my union negotiated that a few years ago.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Huh, if anyone is turning the Americans into slaves it is "progressive" government polices and burdensome taxes.

And Paul Ryan wants to raise taxes on us "little guys" so he can cut taxes for the rich. Sounds like I'm more of a slave if Republicans win in 2012.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
golf clap

Nice use of an union propaganda site. That actually started out with an ad begging for donations

/golf clap

Attacking the messenger is poor form, and expected behavior from denialists such as yourself. If you have an actual, uhh, counter argument, and you know, references, then put up or shut up.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Trolls stick with their forte, huh?

Mere assertion seems to be yours, independent of facts or figures, always. Taxes have really been killing the guys at the top ever since Saint Ronnie advanced tricledown economics, I'm sure- that's why their share of national income has skyrocketed as their federal tax rate has fallen, right?

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And Paul Ryan wants to raise taxes on us "little guys" so he can cut taxes for the rich. Sounds like I'm more of a slave if Republicans win in 2012.

He's just trying to let you experience the true meaning of trickledown economics- whatever trickles out of your nether orifice when the corporatists are done with you, well, you can keep it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
lets look at private enterprise.

1. corporation. A legal construct with 2 major features. 1. shifts personal liability away from a person to an entity that doesn't physically exist. 2. Allows for easy collective ownership of that ethereal entity.

So that's a good legal, ethical, and practical reason for employees to have their own legal construct, a union, to allow for easy collective negotiations with collectively owned corporations.

If the legal system is going to create corporations, it's reasonable for it to also create unions. In the sense that it allows for them and defines the rules for both.

So politicians who are anti-union, but aren't anti-corporation, are biased.

The justification for unions for government workers may or may not have some of the same justifications.

Thoughts ?

I can't think of a good argument against most of what you said up until the .gov workers part.

The bottom line is that public workers are also part of the public. You can not negotiate with yourself as there is no "other side". For exhibit A I would present the various retirement programs from State to State that are mathematically impossible.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm impressed that dcal has been able to start two blatant troll threads without getting them locked.

It depends entirely on which team you troll for. Two right wing threads of this nature would not only have been locked, but the poster would have been given a vacation.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine why that is.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

50 years ago it wasn't quite as easy to simply ship your job overseas. You know, like people working for a few bucks a day competing with people making more money, more time off, and better benefits.

At this point though, what do you do? Do you screw the middle class and especially the poor by making their stuff more expensive in the hopes that their wages will eventually increase or do you screw them by allowing the current situation, in which it is a sound business decision to ship jobs overseas, to continue?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Attacking the messenger is poor form, and expected behavior from denialists such as yourself. If you have an actual, uhh, counter argument, and you know, references, then put up or shut up.

Right, me pointing out your data is from a biased source is attacking the messenger. Then your biased source is so bad off it needs to beg for donations.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Neither side will raise revenue to a point that is even remotely close to expenditures, neither side will lower expenditures to a point that is even remotely close to revenue.... Everything else, from both parties, is pure lip service.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Right, me pointing out your data is from a biased source is attacking the messenger. Then your biased source is so bad off it needs to beg for donations.

Nice dodge- par for the course. Aren't you going to offer up countervailing statistics? Oh, wait- they don't exist, do they?

Average pay in RTW states *is* lower, like it or not, meaning that your whole bit about slavery to unions is just an emotional rant based on, what? all the rightwing propaganda you've absorbed and proceeded to parrot back? Watching too many John Wayne movies, reading too much of Ayn Rand's drivel? Doting on El Rushbo's every word?

You're being manipulated, quite successfully, I might add.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It isn't a question of how I see it, it's just facts. And I said there are places where the law prevents contracts from mandating union membership.

Your sentence makes no sense. There are no states that force anyone to join a union.