Why does Planet Fitness get such a bad rap?

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Yeah they have the Lunk alarm, but I've been going on and off for a few years now and I have never seen it used once, and yes people grunt while lifting there and nobody cares.

Granted they don't have EVERYTHING that Gold's Gym or what many other places have but for $10/month and nearly 24/7 access it's really hard to beat. Granted, you're not going to become a weightlifting champion, or obtain an Adonis-like physique by going to planet fitness, but who is trying to do that? 99% of us (who care about being fit) just want to keep a few pounds of fat off while staying active and for that Planet Fitness is great.

(Posted this in OT for more diverse feedback)

Oct 25, 2006
They have nothing that is useful for someone who wants to actually lift.

Also I have had the lunk alarm called on me. Never fucking again.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Its fine for people that want to do cardio or mess around on some machines.

The one I visited had no squat rack and I think the highest dumbbells were maybe 60lb's? Lol....

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
I wouldn't consider it a "serious" gym for anyone that was truly serious about fitness.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Its fine for people that want to do cardio or mess around on some machines.

The one I visited had no squat rack and I think the highest dumbbells were maybe 60lb's? Lol....
I go to several different ones in my area regularly and they do vary in terms of size and quality.
I go to several different ones and the ones in York have squat racks and more weight benches than the others I've been to.

And all locations I've been to have dumbells that go up to 75lbs.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
The only one I've ever been to provided:

Bagels once a week in the mornings
Pizza once a week in the evenings
A giant bowl of candy at the reception desk

And that's just what I heard about/saw on the calendar. Who knows what else they do to keep their clients (the ones that actually use their memberships and walk through the doors) nice and fat.

Yeah, I'm thinking they don't really care about your fitness...

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Whats supposed to happen when the lunk alarm is pushed?

Guy pushes lunk alarm --> staff member removes "lunk"???

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Never seen the bagels. The Pizza is once a month, and the candy is Tootsie rolls and some kind of grape taffy stuff. And tootsie rolls suck anyway.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The only one I've ever been to provided:

Bagels once a week in the mornings
Pizza once a week in the evenings
A giant bowl of candy at the reception desk

And that's just what I heard about/saw on the calendar. Who knows what else they do to keep their clients (the ones that actually use their memberships and walk through the doors) nice and fat.

Yeah, I'm thinking they don't really care about your fitness...
So, the membership pays for itself when you factor in the snacks. Niiice.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
3op4h1.jpg

planet-fitness-only-20-dollars-a-month-for-pizza-1.jpg

d54f3447812ab3323104e8e53c29949e.jpg

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Whats supposed to happen when the lunk alarm is pushed?

Guy pushes lunk alarm --> staff member removes "lunk"???

Yeah, you get kicked out.

They also don't let you bring in water jugs. Or do deadlifts. Or wear tank tops. They threw out a woman because she was too fit and wearing a sports bra.

It's a genius business idea. Advertise and sell to the people who will never actually come to the gym. Kick out the people who actually do come. Rake in $$$ while your gym sits empty.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005

They also don't let you bring in water jugs. Or do deadlifts. Or wear tank tops. They threw out a woman because she was too fit and wearing a sports bra.

It's a genius business idea. Advertise and sell to the people who will never actually come to the gym. Kick out the people who actually do come. Rake in $$$ while your gym sits empty.

But I thought the fit people working out in your gym were like paying advertisements for what it is possible to accomplish there...

I don't even understand how anyone ever came up with this, much less succeeded with it. Are there so many weak minded individuals running around that an entire franchise can be based around the idea that being around people who are serious about fitness is a bad thing?

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
But I thought the fit people working out in your gym were like paying advertisements for what it is possible to accomplish there...

I don't even understand how anyone ever came up with this, much less succeeded with it. Are there so many weak minded individuals running around that an entire franchise can be based around the idea that being around people who are serious about fitness is a bad thing?

You clearly haven't stopped by the obesity thread yet. :p

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Most gyms make their money off the people who don't go. Look at where gyms advertise. They want people to spend $50 a month to assuage their fat guilt.

Planet Fitness was just the first one smart enough to get rid of all the people who actually would come to the gym, and make the fatties feel good about it. "My gym? They don't let those meatheads in there."

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Planet Fitness is a "gym" where you can go and feel good about not working out with the rest of the idiots who use the elliptical at the lowest setting. I guess whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

One day, you'll end up hating yourself enough that you will go to a real gym and stop stuffing shit in your face.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Planet Fitness is a "gym" where you can go and feel good about not working out with the rest of the idiots who use the elliptical at the lowest setting. I guess whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

One day, you'll end up hating yourself enough that you will go to a real gym and stop stuffing shit in your face.

God I just... I love you so much. Somebody get this man a drink!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

More likely you'll just join the HAES (Health At Every Size) movement.

cuafpr

Nov 5, 2009

Actually she was kicked b.c. PF has a no mid-rift policy and she was showing hers.

PF is good for what it is an entry level gym for people that don’t want to deal with the attitudes often seen in other gyms. I use PF for running at night cause I work nights and it’s across the street from work, but it’s a fine gym, has everything I’ve ever seen in any other gym, only cleaner showers at PF than anywhere else. And so what if people just go there and walk for 15-20 minutes on a treadmill, its better than nothing.

Now buying into the PF franchise is crazy expensive though.