Why does Planet Fitness get such a bad rap?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
A gym is what you make of it. I do think it is pretty BS of them to host pizza parties. I mean, WTF.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
New York is an expensive town. Therefore I have a pretty nice home gym and also retain gym membership at whatever facility has a special or Groupon.

Currently I train at Powerhouse gym and it's pretty cool. I have to bike 6 miles to get there but consider it my warmup and cool down. :)

Once Planet Fitness has their biannual $99 a year special, I will have no problem resigning with them. I put in my music and go into another zone forgetting about the existence of people, pizza, bagels and a lunk alarm. I'm there to do work. As long as the machines are properly maintained and the gym isn't underventilated or overcrowded, I'm happy.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Personally I like it for what it is: A gym with decent hours at a low price available for me to exercise at when the weather is shitty outside. I hate spikes so I prefer to run 4-6 miles on a treadmill than outside in the winter. You don't get much but I don't want much and don't want to pay for a lot of stuff I won't use

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

Grandfathered in. I bought my membership in 2006 and did a 3 year pre-pay for $600. In the contract, every year after that the renewal is $49.

Although they told me next year they're gonna increase it to $99. Kinda bullshit but $49 for the last 6 years has been pretty great. :cool:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
It gets a bad rap because people who pay $1,000 a year for their gym want to justify their overpriced membership.

I pay ~$1620/year for my crossfit membership. Worth, every, penny. Prior to crossfit I had a planet fitness membership for 3 years at $10 a month. Not worth it to me as I went about 5 times in that span. It was so cheap that it became irrelevant to me whether I went to the gym or not.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
A gym is what you make of it. I do think it is pretty BS of them to host pizza parties. I mean, WTF.

Maybe the idea is to have fat people lose weight as slowly as possible or not at all. Like maybe they lose 10lbs over 2 years or something stupid.

Keeps them a customer longer :thumbsup:

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Actually she was kicked b.c. PF has a no mid-rift policy and she was showing hers.

PF is good for what it is an entry level gym for people that don’t want to deal with the attitudes often seen in other gyms. I use PF for running at night cause I work nights and it’s across the street from work, but it’s a fine gym, has everything I’ve ever seen in any other gym, only cleaner showers at PF than anywhere else. And so what if people just go there and walk for 15-20 minutes on a treadmill, its better than nothing.

Now buying into the PF franchise is crazy expensive though.

I keep hearing the attitude argument but I've been to a few gyms 24/la fitness, currently UFC, and everyone has been nothing but nice and/or leaves you alone at the very least. :confused:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I've been to a lot of gyms and there is no attitude. This idea that people are going to laugh at your or do shit to you is stupid. Nobody at my gums says a word other than "is someone using that [object]" or "hey can you spot me" which happens like once every couple months.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Maybe the idea is to have fat people lose weight as slowly as possible or not at all. Like maybe they lose 10lbs over 2 years or something stupid.

it's really brilliant.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I've been to a lot of gyms and there is no attitude. This idea that people are going to laugh at your or do shit to you is stupid. Nobody at my gums says a word other than "is someone using that [object]" or "hey can you spot me" which happens like once every couple months.

I used to go to Golds gym and my current Gym is a former golds gym under a different franchise (but same owners and members)

Lots of hard core people there.

The people who walk in intimidated are doing it all to themselves. Place like planet fitness take advantage of that insecurity.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I used to go to Golds gym and my current Gym is a former golds gym under a different franchise (but same owners and members)

Lots of hard core people there.

The people who walk in intimidated are doing it all to themselves. Place like planet fitness take advantage of that insecurity.

There can be hard core people, but the overwhelming majority of them leave you alone. They don't give a shit about you, and you shouldn't give a shit about them.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
There can be hard core people, but the overwhelming majority of them leave you alone. They don't give a shit about you, and you shouldn't give a shit about them.

Exactly. If you are intimidated it means your mind is as weak as the body. Instead you should see these people as walking inspirations and instructional videos. They are the very goal you are trying to obtain, that is if your ego and own inadequacies finally decide to step aside.

You'll find these hardcore lifters might even admire you after a while.... as you become one of them.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Lifetime Fitness Onyx gyms are worth the money (around $110 a month.) I've never been to one of the new Diamond level facilities ($150 a month) but I understand you don't pay for anything in the gym. ie: tennis lessons, personal training, smoothies, etc.

Oh yes those sugar filled smoothies are much better then pizza or a bagel once a month.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003

Not unlike all those 'regular' gyms selling you bro-science powders, those are much safer then a piece of pizza.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
I wouldn't consider it a "serious" gym for anyone that was truly serious about fitness.

You are probably right. However the vast majority like me, are lucky to get any exercise at all. That's what Planet Fitness accomplishes for those who stick with it.

I joined Gold's Gym years back. Once I saw that Planet Fitness opened up in my town, I checked them out. Everything that I did at Gold's Gym, I could do at PF for a discount of 75%. Not chump change.

They must be profitable, because franchises are opening up like crazy across the country. A lot of people sign up in January (think New Years resolution), then don't show after a few weeks and don't cancel for months. Think oversubscription.

It is generally crowded before and after working and school hours. A lot of moms and seniors go during off-hours. A majority of members are women, so their advertising must be spot on. And if you are a young guy looking for a gal, that ratio makes it a good place to pick up a woman. And cheaper than hanging out at a bar. Noted she won't be drunk. A plus or minus depending on your perspective.

By the way, thank you for your service.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Not unlike all those 'regular' gyms selling you bro-science powders, those are much safer then a piece of pizza.
Gold's Gym used to sell smoothies when I went there. Doubt they were healthy as they contained a ton of sugar.
If you agree that the people trying to get in shape outnumber the people that are already in really good shape, it's hard to find fault with their business model. They aren't trying to be Golds Gym or West Side Barbell Club.
This is true. There are very few people who are actually lifting everything you can using the weights at Planet Fitness and those people are in excellent physical shape in virtually every way. They are at a level of fitness that 90% or more people will never attain regardless of where they do their exercise. And I'm convinced that 90% of the stories about people getting kicked out or having the lunk alarm go off on them are fully or partially made up. I've seen people wearing tank tops and sports bras without getting kicked out. Nobody has ever had their membership revoked for being 'too fit' lol.

Planet Fitness' business model works because they offer most of the stuff people use and the price is low enough so that it's a forgettable expense (such as netflix) and people won't cancel because they missed a couple of months. I know I've gone a couple of months without using Netflix. The criticism mostly amounts to internet douchebag snobbery.
I'm fairly certain that most of the criticism amounts to snobbery.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Gold's Gym used to sell smoothies when I went there. Doubt they were healthy as they contained a ton of sugar.

This is true. There are very few people who are actually lifting everything you can using the weights at Planet Fitness and those people are in excellent physical shape in virtually every way. They are at a level of fitness that 90% or more people will never attain regardless of where they do their exercise. And I'm convinced that 90% of the stories about people getting kicked out or having the lunk alarm go off on them are fully or partially made up. I've seen people wearing tank tops and sports bras without getting kicked out. Nobody has ever had their membership revoked for being 'too fit' lol.

Planet Fitness' business model works because they offer most of the stuff people use and the price is low enough so that it's a forgettable expense (such as netflix) and people won't cancel because they missed a couple of months. I know I've gone a couple of months without using Netflix. The criticism mostly amounts to internet douchebag snobbery.
I'm fairly certain that most of the criticism amounts to snobbery.

I just joined PF this jan because its $100 for a year, and 5 mins from home. Overall not bad, I do wish they would have a few more free weights so that I could start better weighted exercises.

But anyone joining knows what they are getting themselves into. They aren't hiding anything.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
gotta say though at $10/month or whatever makes me want to look at PF =X

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Seems nice to me, I work out, but I don't really eat that clean of a diet. Sure it's counter productive, but because I can run 30 minutes without stopping I feel I must be in decent shape. My typical after gym meal would be a California Burrito, a few slices of free pizza would own.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I pay $50 a year for a 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport membership. :cool:

Same here, glad I got in on that deal a long time ago. Its the gift that keeps on giving

One thing I do have to say about 24 hour fitness is that the gyms vary quite a bit in quality. Some are great while others are craptastic.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Checked out yelp, there's like 10 within 40 miles of me but 0 within 5 miles of me. All but one are 4*+ on yelp with tons of reviews. It's a franchise you say?

Anybody want to join in on a PF franchise? Got a perfect location ^_^

Startup Costs, Ongoing Fees and Financing

Total Investment: $824,200 - $3,725,000
Franchise Fee: $10,000
Ongoing Royalty Fee: 5%
Term of Franchise Agreement: 10 years, renewable
FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS
Net Worth: $1,500,000
Liquid Cash Available: $500,000
OPERATIONS
40% of all franchisees own more than one unit. Absentee ownership of franchise is NOT allowed. (70% of current franchisees are owner/operators).

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Checked out yelp, there's like 10 within 40 miles of me but 0 within 5 miles of me. All but one are 4*+ on yelp with tons of reviews. It's a franchise you say?

Anybody want to join in on a PF franchise? Got a perfect location ^_^
Population, population, population. That's what you need to have a PF that can keep the doors open. The churn is built into the business model so you need a lot of people in the area to keep cycling through the doors.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Seems nice to me, I work out, but I don't really eat that clean of a diet. Sure it's counter productive, but because I can run 30 minutes without stopping I feel I must be in decent shape. My typical after gym meal would be a California Burrito, a few slices of free pizza would own.

You can't outrun your fork, tubby.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Lifetime Fitness Onyx gyms are worth the money (around $110 a month.) I've never been to one of the new Diamond level facilities ($150 a month) but I understand you don't pay for anything in the gym. ie: tennis lessons, personal training, smoothies, etc.

$150/month for a gym membership?!?! That shit better come with a rub and tug or something.

saratoga172

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2009
If that 150 includes free smoothies, personal training and other perks it can easily be worth it for someone that has a lot of smoothies or uses personal training.

I don't myself but I could see the value there.