why does new york city hate me so much?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: fritolays
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Sounds like you are acting like a douche also. Tit for tat?

how was I being a douche?

The way he came off, he was waiting for someone to start shit with... I could've said anything and he would've came at me the same

I have been here for a year and never had one problem. I take 4 trains per day and walk through 42nd/TS and GCT. I have bumped and pushed people all over, never once did I return anybody's bitching. Just keep walking.

so if someone pushed you, you would just keep walking?

What's the point of worrying about it? I have better things to do.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: halik

The way he came off, he was waiting for someone to start shit with... I could've said anything and he would've came at me the same

I have been here for a year and never had one problem. I take 4 trains per day and walk through 42nd/TS and GCT. I have bumped and pushed people all over, never once did I return anybody's bitching. Just keep walking.

I could never work on time square, the commute would just anger me twice a day. SOOOO many tourists in your way.

I have to go through 42/ts to get to the 7. 1->7 to GCT, walk right up underneath my building.

42/ts is such a nasty station though. At night when I am waiting for the 1 it smells like somebody puked on the 3rd rail and it's sitting there baking.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: maziwanka
Meh I lived in NYC for a while and I never had those kinda problems. People bumping into me, me making my way thru 'em etc. That's just how it goes.

yea. im the same way. OP, im not sure why you're getting "targeted" but don't bother starting shit. it's not worth getting in trouble over something petty.

like i said before, im sure things will calm down for you and it's just been a bad string of events.

Hehe you should try driving - I've lived in hoboken/newport for a while too, so I got to drive around manhattan. If you think wlaking around is bad, driving is 10x worse/better (depending how you look at it). Choice sentances would fly by the mile...

It does help to have a fast car though... my amg-prepped could take most of the cars out there :)

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: EGGO
You must be new here. :D

Just yesterday, I was at the side, and this group of asian guys and girls were taking up the sidewalk coming towards me. Just enough room to come through. Then as we were passing each other, this small asian girl was trying to squeeze into that whole I was going to walk through. "Fvck her" said my mind and I became a walking wall and holy crap did she suffer whiplash when her shoulder hit me.

Kept on walking...

I hate that crap. Morons taking the whole sidewalk to walk in groups. I just get my body ready and plow 'em down.

Was it a Penny Arcade comic that had a really funny similar situation? Damn, I don't remember.

EDIT: No wait, it was in a MSPaint thread at SA...

Link?

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
This seems like a pattern developing. Either you've been pretty unlucky or something about you or your commute is causing these things to happen. Maybe a combination of luck, unfamiliarity with subway etiquette, and thin skin.

As LegendKiller advises, don't yell at or talk back to anyone. Just go about your business. Keep your head down and your nose clean.

NYC is much less tough than it was 10-15 years ago, but getting ready to "throw down" over a shove seems like a good way to get into trouble.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...

That what don't kill ya makes ya stronger...
(just sounds better than the more grammatically correct version)

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

I could never work on time square, the commute would just anger me twice a day. SOOOO many tourists in your way.

I have to go through 42/ts to get to the 7. 1->7 to GCT, walk right up underneath my building.

42/ts is such a nasty station though. At night when I am waiting for the 1 it smells like somebody puked on the 3rd rail and it's sitting there baking.
42nd is nice compared to 168th st. One of the dirtier ones, smells like urine, rats not just on the rails but near the stairwells as well (one ran past me a while back - scared the crap out of me).

elmro

Dec 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Flatscan
This seems like a pattern developing. Either you've been pretty unlucky or something about you or your commute is causing these things to happen. Maybe a combination of luck, unfamiliarity with subway etiquette, and thin skin.

As LegendKiller advises, don't yell at or talk back to anyone. Just go about your business. Keep your head down and your nose clean.

NYC is much less tough than it was 10-15 years ago, but getting ready to "throw down" over a shove seems like the country-bumpkin-never-should-have-left-the-sticks-small-town-attitude-thing-to-do.

Corrected. I live in Brooklyn, commute via subway everyday, and have never had anything like this happen.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
That's nothing. The other day a black guy threatened to kill me if a cab stopped for me instead of him. It didn't end very pretty.