Why does my MBP go to sleep when I close the lid? How do I go about stopping it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
^ Oh I see how that works. Do you by chance know if the laptop screen goes off when you close the lid? I couldn't tell if it really shuts off or not. The reason I'm asking is beacause I want to save display panel life whenever possible.

With InsomniaX enabled, I don't think it's turned off. You may want to do what TheStu suggested. Command + Shift + Eject to turn off the display.

Also please note that Command + Shift + Eject is not the same as turning the brightness all the way down. If you turn the brightness all the way down, only the backlight is off, but the screen is still on. If you do Command + Shift + Eject, both screen and backlight are off.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Edit: But seriously Macs are silly.
Why spend >$1000 on a laptop that you are just going to replace in 2-3 years. Mac users either buy a new one constantly for new features or they are stuck with the same ancient machine for a ridiculously long time because they feel they need to due to the large investment.

There are definite issues with the PC market as some manufactures (looking at you Hewlett Packard) that put out 50 kabillion models of which 90% are crap. However I continually manage to purchase a new laptop every 2-3 years that has all the features I want for less than half what a MBP costs. Most recent laptop is from the Acer Timeline series with dedicated ATI graphics + i3 processor (at the time MBP was still using a Core2Duo), it has 8hr battery life, and its in a nice compact 13" package with anodized aluminium finish. Best part is I don't have a company telling me how to use my laptop and if I want it to not go to sleep when the lid closes, no problem. You can actually search the question in Windows search and it takes you right there.

The only reason to buy a Mac is to look "cool" and to blend in with the sheep herd.
But I wanna look cool and I feel cool. It's a great feeling, feel.. more upclass. This annodized silver finish makes it very chic man.:D But I totally understand your reasoning about Mac and PC. I guess it's personal preference thing.

With InsomniaX enabled, I don't think it's turned off. You may want to do what TheStu suggested. Command + Shift + Eject to turn off the display.

Also please note that Command + Shift + Eject is not the same as turning the brightness all the way down. If you turn the brightness all the way down, only the backlight is off, but the screen is still on. If you do Command + Shift + Eject, both screen and backlight are off.
Aight. thanks for the info. :)

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
But I wanna look cool and I feel cool. It's a great feeling, feel.. more upclass. This annodized silver finish makes it very chic man.:D But I totally understand your reasoning about Mac and PC. I guess it's personal preference thing.

Aight. thanks for the info. :)

Alternatively you can set a hot corner to trigger the display to turn off, which is what I do. I feel it's a bit quicker than a keyboard combo.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Alternatively you can set a hot corner to trigger the display to turn off, which is what I do. I feel it's a bit quicker than a keyboard combo.

Thanks. That does work more better.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I set mine on its side in the "V" shape all the time. Also entirely closed on its side, leaning up against the bed or couch. I much prefer to keep it vertical so that I don't accidentally step on it and crack the screen or something.

The finish on these is actually quite durable. I've had mine for a few months and do not have any visible scratches. Much more durable than the white plastic MacBooks.