Why does my MBP go to sleep when I close the lid? How do I go about stopping it

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by cheez, Jan 26, 2012.

1. cheez

cheez Golden Member

In Windows based PC's, you can set the power option so that when you close the lid it won't put the computer to sleep. But in MacBook with OS X, it won't let me. THere is no option to select "Do Nuthin" when "Closing the Lid".:colbert: Is there some kind of trick that can be used to set this up.

Help pls.:$

#1 cheez, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - sleep close stopping Forum Date
    Ipad wifi disconnecting during sleep All Things Apple Aug 7, 2016
    How to wake closed-lid Mac up with external keyboard or mouse? All Things Apple Jul 13, 2016
    Crazy slow wake from sleep mode on MBP All Things Apple May 8, 2015
    Sleep/Wake problems with a Mac Pro 3,1 All Things Apple May 4, 2015
    Apple won't replace my sleep button All Things Apple May 12, 2014

3. Reliant

Reliant Diamond Member

Why do you want it to stay awake when you close lid? You can operate in clamshell mode if you have an external monitor hooked up, if that's what you want.

4. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I have never understood this either.

OP, install InsomniaX. Out of curiosity, why do you want this ability?

5. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Good question guys. I often download large files (torrent) so I gotta keep the computer running. If I close the lid the computer goes to sleep and as a result it shuts off the network connection. When I'm not present my kittie kat likes to sit on my keypad and lick my screen leaving marks. This is my brand new laptop so I wanna keep thangs clean!

What's InsomniaX? sounds interesting. Is it some sort of power management software for Mac or something? I will try it. :)

And no I don't have an external monitor for my laptop.

#4 cheez, Jan 26, 2012
  6. runawayprisoner

runawayprisoner Platinum Member

InsomniaX is just something that sits in the status bar and prevents the computer from ever sleeping.

But honestly, I wouldn't recommend closing the lids. The way Apple designs the computer makes it so that the vents are only fully open when the screen hinge is open. If you close the lid (thus the hinge), it blocks the vents, and may cause the computer to heat up over time depending on what is running in the background. So take extra care.

7. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Are you kidding me?!! :eek:

Well then I don't want to close the lid. I don't want to do anything that's bad for my MBP.

8. cheez

cheez Golden Member

^ Well dang... what if you use the macbook with docking station (or is there any? :scratching my head: ). You would have to close the lid then. So docking will cause overheat on the laptop. This is not good!

Oh wait... I didn't see any slot on the bottom side of the laptop. So it's not dockable.:confused: This ain't like the Dell laptops, lol.

#7 cheez, Jan 26, 2012
  9. runawayprisoner

runawayprisoner Platinum Member

No, I'm not kidding. That's why there is no option to disable sleep when lid is closed. Even if the computer stays awake when it's closed with an external monitor connected, the assumption is that whoever connects the external screen would already know to put the MacBook on a dock or something that can cool it over time.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/15/how-...lid-closed-and-hooked-to-an-external-monitor/

But the upside to it is... docks do actually exist for that kind of thing.

10. cheez

cheez Golden Member

^ Oh I see how that works. Do you by chance know if the laptop screen goes off when you close the lid? I couldn't tell if it really shuts off or not. The reason I'm asking is beacause I want to save display panel life whenever possible.

11. TheStu

InsomniaX lets you do exactly what you are asking.

Yea, I don't have a cat (or any animals) so I never really had that problem.

As a point of interest, if you want to leave the screen open but just turn off the display, hit CMD+Shift+Eject.

12. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I had a similar problem with the kitty liking to get on my laptop because it was all warm. What I did was turn the screen off with the brightness control, then take the MBP and pull the screen down about halfway and then make it stand on it's edges. I could do this either on it's side or upside down like a little tepee.

That kept the cats from messing with it.

13. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Thanks for the trick, TheStu :)

I'm not sure if I wanna do that... I'm not a fan of setting the laptop upside down like that.:eek: thanks for the ideas though

14. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

If all you're doing is downloading a torrent then you shouldnt need any ventilation since the cpu will be mostly idle. I've run a 20GB torrent and looked in task manager and it only showed a cpu time of just a few seconds. I'm sure its the same for mac.

15. cheez

cheez Golden Member

^ My home temperature is at 62F when I'm gone for work.

16. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

The main problem with Mac laptops is ventilation. It takes air in through the keyboard and exhausts it out the hinge. Now, I don't think closing the laptop will prevent the exhaust from working properly, as it should flow around the hinge out the bottom, but I don't think it can get air intake. I used to close mine and use Insomnia to keep it on and it would get awfully, awfully warm...

As for setting it upside down, this is what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

And who says there's an 'upside down' on a notebook anyways. It's not like something is going to magically stop working if it's angled. In fact, I could probably even say that putting your MB like this is better for cooling, since it will draw cool air in from the 'tepee' and exhaust the warm air at the very top and warm air rises, soooo....

17. TheStu

I lay mine on its side so that it looks like this V when viewed from above. I do that when i don't have a flat surface to put it on and just want to set it aside for a little while.

18. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I've done that, usually when I set it on carpet. If it's on a table, I like the horizontal because it's "shorter".

19. akshatp

akshatp Diamond Member

"I want to save display panel life"

LMAO...really?? I'm pretty sure the display would outlive the computer provided you even have it long enough for either one to crap out on you.

20. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Not sure if "LMAO" is needed here():), cause, seriously, I had screen issue with my previous laptop. The Sony laptop I purchased 6 years ago had screen start to wear out (screen has gone dull and lost brightness as well as uneven whites and some pixel failure) in just 4 years of use. I had screen savor and power setting set to minimize screen wear but it didn't last long. The screen crapped out long before the rest of my laptop components failed.

Apple MacBook still uses LCD, with LED-backlit, so I am not sure if it's really much better than the traditional LCD type.:hmm:

And I am against setting the laptop on its sides like that on the desk or whatever. It will scrap / scratch the silver matte finish on the macbook. :p

#19 cheez, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  21. TheStu

Everything except the bad pixels can be explained by the backlight.

22. slayernine

slayernine Senior member

Buy a real computer.

23. cheez

cheez Golden Member

I have it.

But I thought MBP is real computer too. :eek:

24. TheStu

No, you see you only think it is a real computer because of the reality distortion field, steve jobs, fanboyism, and um... the fact that you're a hipster. I think i touched on the points used lately.

25. slayernine

slayernine Senior member

^
    |
    What he said

Edit: But seriously Macs are silly.
    Why spend >$1000 on a laptop that you are just going to replace in 2-3 years. Mac users either buy a new one constantly for new features or they are stuck with the same ancient machine for a ridiculously long time because they feel they need to due to the large investment.

There are definite issues with the PC market as some manufactures (looking at you Hewlett Packard) that put out 50 kabillion models of which 90% are crap. However I continually manage to purchase a new laptop every 2-3 years that has all the features I want for less than half what a MBP costs. Most recent laptop is from the Acer Timeline series with dedicated ATI graphics + i3 processor (at the time MBP was still using a Core2Duo), it has 8hr battery life, and its in a nice compact 13" package with anodized aluminium finish. Best part is I don't have a company telling me how to use my laptop and if I want it to not go to sleep when the lid closes, no problem. You can actually search the question in Windows search and it takes you right there.

The only reason to buy a Mac is to look "cool" and to blend in with the sheep herd.

#24 slayernine, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  26. TheStu

Not sure if serious...