Why does it appear that there is so much distaste for Israel..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
People are complaining about Isreal taking the Palestinian land.

How about the fact that the other Arab countries from 1948 though 1973 were controlling sections of the land. Where is the outrage against that?

Siwy

Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

How about the fact that the other Arab countries from 1948 though 1973 were controlling sections of the land. Where is the outrage against that?

I was extremely outraged from 1948 through 1973.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Siwy

And what about the rest of the world?

What was your voice?

Siwy

Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Siwy

And what about the rest of the world?

What was your voice?

I wasn?t born yet, so I guess I had no voice but if I was, I would be against it. Just like today I?m against Syrian occupation of Lebanon.

How about you, what?s your opinion on the Arab occupation of Palestinian land?

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: 5150Joker
Originally posted by: Future Shock
Originally posted by: 5150Joker
Originally posted by: ViperXX
It's the Jewish peoples land. They were there a thousand + years ago until they were evicted by the Romans. For hundreds of years they lacked the army to take back and keep their homeland. Until within the last 50 years. The Arabs have no claim to the land, they don't have the firepower to take it back so they need to STFU.

About the Indian thing. They were conqured. Plain and simple. People have been conqured for thousands of years. Until they decide they have an army big enough to take back what they think belongs to them they can STFU as well.

That's the cold hard truth. Claims of illegal settlements, occupations etc. are all meaningless. All is fair in war and whoever has the most military strength will have the power to justify anything. Arabs (and the Muslim world in large) should concentrate on eliminating corruption, dictatorships and right-wing militants in their countries and rather than worrying about how to destroy Israel, they should instead emulate it. The numbers favor the Arabs (and Muslims), they just need to clean up their act.

Fine...then by your logic, the Palestinians should continue their armed resistance till they run out of suicide bombers and maytrs. Maybe then can win given enough young people to sacrifice themselves and finally win back the land that was stolen from them. And then Israel should, to quote another poster, STFU about it, and take their terrorism like combatants, instead of crying to the media about how "unfair" terrorism is and how terrible the Arabs are. After all, all is fair in war, so if THAT'S how you want to decide it...

Future Shock

P.S. - the above was not meant to condone such a solution, just to take the quoted post to it's 'logical' conclusion. And things may yet turn out that way...and the Jews will lose, because their population is not keeping pace. But that's another topic...

Your logic is flawed because Israel is a heavily armed military state that has an overwhelming advantage over it's neighbors. The Palestinian resistance could be wiped out in 24 hrs if they really wanted to be brutal and annihilate them. What could the Arab nations do in retaliation? Nothing.

The Arab nations have nothing they have to do....a large part of Israel's economy is dependant upon Palistinian labor. There are many million Palestinians. Israel would have to wipe every Palestinian off the face of the planet to stop the terrorism and geurilla warfare that the Palestinians are waging. And frankly they could not survive murdering millions of people - both because of their own history of the Holocaust would cause serious internal political problems with such a solution, and because it woud torpedo their own economy, and because world opinion would be somewhat against the murder of a few million Palestinians, the majority of which were not combatants. Such is the efficiency of terrorism and guerilla warfare...

BTW...wipe out WHO? Israel has, time and time again killed the leaders of the uprising. They have TRIED being brutal and annhilating them...what do you think having military choppers fire Maverick missles into occupied, residential buildings to kill a few leaders gathered there IS? New ones take their place in days or weeks...it is not a group of PEOPLE they are fighting, it is a CONCEPT...that of a Palestinian homeland. You can't kill any CONCEPT in 24 hours...or 24 years in this case.

Future Shock

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005

There is control, and then there is DOMINATION. I'll make a sidebet that when the Arabs controlled that land, they had a few military outposts, controlled the government via influence or rigged elections, and maybe ran the police department and collected taxes.

But now that Israel has it's claim, Palestinian access to the waterways has been cut off, their is no real functioning airport for cargo or passengers, and people routinely wait 1-3 hours to cross checkpoints just to get back and forth to their fields and jobs. The economy (never a strong point in that area) is at it's lowest ebb ever, and millions of people are living in refuge camps, many in the very same refuge camps that their parents were born in. In short, one variation is very much like the Syrian influence in Lebanon, and the other is more remincent of Russian dominance of Eastern Europe...

FS