Why does cancer kill?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Rudee
When cancer reproduces, it certainly does destroy healthy cells. I choose not to get into detail, thus it was considered a simple answer.
You are going to have to do better than that. Cellular death in the areas around a tumor is NEVER a primary cause for concern in a cancer patient. So once again I reiterate the point made in my last post - cancer can cause cell damage, but it is a sometimes seen effect - not the defining "It's that simple" explanation...

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: Rudee
When cancer reproduces, it certainly does destroy healthy cells. I choose not to get into detail, thus it was considered a simple answer.
You are going to have to do better than that. Cellular death in the areas around a tumor is NEVER a primary cause for concern in a cancer patient. So once again I reiterate the point made in my last post - cancer can cause cell damage, but it is a sometimes seen effect - not the defining "It's that simple" explanation...

He's wrong, you're right. Cancer doesen't destroy healthy cells.

Basically, your organs can't function if they're full of cells that are no longer specific to the organ.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
If I remember correctly, a cancer is a cell that doesn't know when to stop growing. In this growth process, it soon needs more space to grow and therefore takes over the surrounding tissue and so on and so forth.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
I know there is a school of thought out there that believes cancer does not kill, that the majority of cancer deaths are a result of the cancer treatment. And that if you take no treatment or rely only on natural herbs and such that you will be fine. I think these people are pretty much quacks. My father passed away from cancer, and he only had chemotherapy for a very short time before discontinuing it.

My father just passed away from Pancreatic cancer. The doctors didn't know it was cancer, and thus couldn't treat it properly... he passed within a week of exhibiting symptoms.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: guyver01
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
I know there is a school of thought out there that believes cancer does not kill, that the majority of cancer deaths are a result of the cancer treatment. And that if you take no treatment or rely only on natural herbs and such that you will be fine. I think these people are pretty much quacks. My father passed away from cancer, and he only had chemotherapy for a very short time before discontinuing it.

My father just passed away from Pancreatic cancer. The doctors didn't know it was cancer, and thus couldn't treat it properly... he passed within a week of exhibiting symptoms.

Sorry to hear that guyver01 :(:(:(