Why do people like waffle irons that flip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Reading reviews of waffle irons I see that many people prefer an iron that they can flip over during the cooking process. Why do they do this and what is the advantage?

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
to more evenly distribute the batter, i guess.

but you're doing it wrong if you need to do that.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
The rotation makes waffles more uniform with less voids and both waffle plates get an even distribution of batter.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
to more evenly distribute the batter, i guess.

but you're doing it wrong if you need to do that.

i guess all the professionals do it wrong then.. since nearly every professional chef uses the flip waffle maker... and even in Belgium where waffles were invented, they use the flip style (there's a reason its called the Belgium Waffle maker) .. but what do they know... brblx knows better :rolleyes:

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
yup.

if you can't competently make a waffle in a normal, non-flipping wafflemaker, you should kill yourself.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Are we talking this:

Cast-Iron-Waffle-Maker.gif

Or this:

waffle_maker.jpg

I'd say the top type wins.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Are we talking this:

Cast-Iron-Waffle-Maker.gif

Or this:

waffle_maker.jpg

I'd say the top type wins.
The top one looks like you put it over a flame on your gas range. Tricky because your flame will be different every time unless you have a range with detents (mine doesn't). I ordered this one yesterday (Proctor-Silex 26500 Morning Baker Belgian Waffle Baker):

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-26500-Morning-Belgian-Waffle/dp/B00004X13D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273067316&sr=1-1

Consumer Research website

http://www.consumersearch.com/waffle-irons/best-waffle-irons

says it's very highly recommended by buyers, seems like good candidate for best bang for the buck award. Both my waffle irons crapped out recently and I've been Jonesing for waffles. I think I'll try flipping this one although I don't think it was designed for that. A few reviews at Amazon say they've had good success flipping this waffler. I read every one of the 90 reviews a Amazon. No bells and whistles, but consistently makes great waffles is the skinny. Plus it stores upright, takes up little space. Might be cheaper locally (Wal-Mart?), but seems pretty cheap at $30.57 shipped, so WTH. Should have it in a matter of days.

Edit: I don't know why but when I hit the link for this waffler in this post it goes to a different page than the one Iordered it from. It's listed as $22 or so with $10 or so shipping. If you search for the Proctor-Silex 26500 at Amazon you get a page where it's $30.57 with Super Saver shipping, which is where I ordered it. :confused:

Last edited:

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
i guess all the professionals do it wrong then.. since nearly every professional chef uses the flip waffle maker... and even in Belgium where waffles were invented, they use the flip style (there's a reason its called the Belgium Waffle maker) .. but what do they know... brblx knows better :rolleyes:

Holy shit. Served up with whipped cream and strawberries on top with a bit of syr....

brb...buying a waffle iron.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I certaily could be wrong, but the only flip waffle makers I've seen (electric) are for Belgian waffles. I buy the idea that the flipping is needed to help distribute the batter and heat evenly because it is a thicker waffle with deeper pockets.

I've never seen an electric flip appliance for regular waffles, professional or not. Does such a thing exist? Are Belgian waffles made from the same recipe as regular waffles?

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

The are different types of waffles. "The professionals" are doing the American version. While not wrong, it not too traditional and far from the tastier European variety. Waffles in Belgium are made a couple of different ways. They don't all use a flip-style press. The most popular type of waffle in Belgium doesn't use the thin, runny batter that is common in the States; it uses a dough.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
They flip because the people making them secretly wish that they were making pancakes, a superior breakfast. A wafflemaker flips his waffle while imagining a pancake in much the same way a ATOTer tugs on his sausage, imagining that a pointy elbowed dame was doing it.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
They flip because the people making them secretly wish that they were making pancakes, a superior breakfast. A wafflemaker flips his waffle while imagining a pancake in much the same way a ATOTer tugs on his sausage, imagining that a pointy elbowed dame was doing it.

You can go to hell, sir!

Waffles > pancakes

BY FAR

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I had a waring pro waffle maker for about 3 years ($50 at sams). It makes some of the best waffles I've had. The point of the flip isn't only for even distribution, you can't make batter fill pockets that are 1/2 inch deep, the second reason you flip is to put more air into the batter. When you have more air you get lighter more crisp waffles.

Last edited:

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
I had a waring pro waffle maker for about 3 years ($50 at sams). It makes some of the best waffles I've had. The point of the flip isn't only for even distribution, you can't make batter fill pockets that are 1/2 inch deep, the second reason you flip is to put more aire into the batter. When you have more air you get lighter more crisp waffles.

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Unfortunately, GI search does not provide images of people flipping iron waffles, as I was 2 steps from creating an excellent parody thread.

:(

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
418dkMKFf7L._SS400_.jpg

This is the best one out there.. its the one that many hotels use for their continental breakfasts.

Waring Pro WMK300A Professional Stainless-Steel Belgian Waffle Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.