Why do people like waffle irons that flip?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTibet

Jun 16, 2015
I see a lot of speculation on this point, and no real answers. Here's how it works. A "flip style" waffle maker makes exactly one difference and only for thin-batter waffles. It doesn't "distribute the batter more evenly." In fact, if you flip it too soon, the opposite happens. It doesn't "prevent holes." That's determined by how much batter you put in.

All flipping does is cook the top side evenly with the bottom if you're using a thin batter, like Belgian-style waffles. Maybe that's why the Belgian-waffle "purists" are in love with flipping, or maybe it's just love of tradition (flipping was necessary before the electric waffle iron, when they were made on a waffled skillet over a stove that cooked only from the bottom, I don't know. But if you aren't making thin waffles, flipping makes no difference.

If you want the batter to "distribute evenly," just pour it in the middle. Gravity and pressure from the top of the iron will do the rest. If you want to "prevent holes," add more batter and hold (or clip if your iron has one) the iron closed for the first 30 seconds or so to force the batter outward rather than upward as it starts to expand with cooking.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
They flip because the people making them secretly wish that they were making pancakes, a superior breakfast. A wafflemaker flips his waffle while imagining a pancake in much the same way a ATOTer tugs on his sausage, imagining that a pointy elbowed dame was doing it.

:biggrin::thumbsup:

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
The post was on-topic, no need for ban.

lol - It wasn't so much of on/off-topic, but more of a 5 year necro from:

This is happening a lot lately. I don't get it. :confused:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

it's less than a year since the most recent post

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm willing to wait and see when we get our free Tibets. It's a refreshing change from the promise of free ipads.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
You guys can argue over the second best breakfast food. We all know french toast is superior to all other breakfast foods.

Agreed. FT is superior in so many ways, especially when it is encrusted in Cap'n Crunch and fried in butter and then topped with warm maple syrup.

Status
Not open for further replies.