why do people get mad and/or speed up when you pass them on the road?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
why do people get mad when you split lanes on a motorcycle? It's not like they're going anywhere.

because it's really dangerous, and despite it obviously being the motorcyclist's fault, when your brains are drying on the pavement the car driver will probably be stuck with the liability.

you may as well just drive on the shoulder if you want to skip traffic.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Jealousy.... :p

Although I can say the reaction people give me in the Range Rover is filled with rage, while Shelby is more a knowing-nod from people who appreciate that sort of thing.

My Polaris RZR isn't street legal in CA, otherwise I would test that one out too......costs more than the average damn car does.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
because it's really dangerous, and despite it obviously being the motorcyclist's fault, when your brains are drying on the pavement the car driver will probably be stuck with the liability.

you may as well just drive on the shoulder if you want to skip traffic.

we're talking about < 10mph traffic. it's only dangerous because people don't know how to drive. (not checking mirrors, not paying attention in front of them, not checking blind spots). it's not skipping traffic either. that's the exact mentality of people who speed up when you try to pass them.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I want to kill people who think just because they have their turn signal on and they can fit, its safe to move over.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I want to kill people who think just because they have their turn signal on and they can fit, its safe to move over.

The best is when people wait until the last possible second to get over on a Y freeway split, even though they drive the same route every single day and knew it was coming.

I have seen more than one tarp-covered body where the 91 splits off to the 55.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I don't mind people passing me. Just don't pass me and move back into my lane just to slow down again. WTF mate.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
The best is when people wait until the last possible second to get over on a Y freeway split, even though they drive the same route every single day and knew it was coming.

I deal with this all the time going to Newport Coast. People waiting to get off at McArthur, cutting in at the very last possible moment.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Also, serial lane changers can DIAF. I was driving on the highway last week and there was a moderate amount of traffic. I was in the middle lane doing ~70 (speed limit is 65) with about two car legths between my car and the car in front of me (who was going the same speed as me). Some dipshit comes flying up the right lane at probably ~80mph and changes into my lane maybe a whole foot off my front bumper, causing me to hit the brakes. If the car in front of me had hit the brakes for some reason, all three of us would have been toast. There is NOWHERE that you need to be that badly that would warrant you pulling that kind of shit. Calm the fuck down and don't drive like a piece of shit.

PS: Why does it seem like 90% of the douchenozzles on the road drive Altimas and Maximas?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004

There's also the assholes who think they're more important than everyone else and will drive on the shoulder to pass as many cars before merging in at the last second. If they can't get in they'll cut through the island and ride the shoulder until a spot opens.

I never seen anyone busted for this so the aholes just continue.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
we're talking about < 10mph traffic. it's only dangerous because people don't know how to drive. (not checking mirrors, not paying attention in front of them, not checking blind spots). it's not skipping traffic either. that's the exact mentality of people who speed up when you try to pass them.

when you're a tiny vehicle surrounded by giant SUV's, though, checking my blind spot may not do me any good if I'm about to change lanes and you're illegally driving in a space you shouldn't be, though.

of course, the speed of the motorcyclist matters too. usually when I see it around here, it's guys driving +70 mph roaring in-between traffic that's moving at 5-15 mph.

Kushina

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2010
we've got ourselves a terrible driver!

CONFIRMED!

Not really, if I don't get any indication from you that you don't want to race, I won't be an ass about it. And if your old I don't mess with you in the first place, the road is yours. None of it's out of anger, except if your being a douche. But I drive pretty good so I'm not worried about messing anything up.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
had this happen to me driving home from dallas this weekend.

this idiot ass bmw was in left lane by himself. no other cars around within a few hundred yards. i slowly creep up behind him going 75mph posted limit. he doesn't move over. i stay behind him for 10-15 secs waiting for him to change lanes. he doesn't so i pass him in the right lane then switch back to the left over passing him. he starts flashing his lights at me.

fucking idiot.

Wasn't going to post, since everyone is basically covering things, but this is basically my response to most of these idiots like the bmw:

BRAKE CHECK ASSHOLE! :D (the smile in the mirror is included free of charge)

(depending on if the freeway is empty behind them, possibly running alongside traffic in the inner lanes for a mile or two as well. Watching their impending aneurysm brings me great joy and merriment)

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
There's also the assholes who think they're more important than everyone else and will drive on the shoulder to pass as many cars before merging in at the last second. If they can't get in they'll cut through the island and ride the shoulder until a spot opens.

I never seen anyone busted for this so the aholes just continue.

I've seen cops get them a couple times. I've also pulled well onto the shoulder as well, seen semis do it as well. (but don't block the emergency vehicles!)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Not really, if I don't get any indication from you that you don't want to race, I won't be an ass about it. And if your old I don't mess with you in the first place, the road is yours. None of it's out of anger, except if your being a douche. But I drive pretty good so I'm not worried about messing anything up.

i was talking about how you didn't know what speed you were going on a highway.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
[Me@65]-------------[Them@55]
[Me@65]---------[Them@55]
[Me@65]-----[Them@55]

[Me@65]
----------[Them@60]

[Me@65]
--[Them@65]

----[Me@70]
[Them@68]

---------[Me@75]
[Them@72]

---------[Me@75]
[Them@75]

FFFFFFFFFFuck off.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Sometimes I'll speed up just because "Oops, I let my speed drop," or "Oh, the speed limit increased and I didn't notice."
Depending on the way the passing driver is behaving, and depending on the road layout or traffic conditions; such as exit ramp approaching, slow vehicles ahead or behind, etc; then I'll keep my speed steady until they've finished their maneuver, and then change my own.

I'm not in it as a competition though. I drive simply because I need to be somewhere else.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Maybe they're afraid the other person is going exactly where they're going specifically to take advantage of an opportunity that will only be available to the first person there? That's all I can think of. *shrug*

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Also, serial lane changers can DIAF. I was driving on the highway last week and there was a moderate amount of traffic. I was in the middle lane doing ~70 (speed limit is 65) with about two car legths between my car and the car in front of me (who was going the same speed as me). Some dipshit comes flying up the right lane at probably ~80mph and changes into my lane maybe a whole foot off my front bumper, causing me to hit the brakes. If the car in front of me had hit the brakes for some reason, all three of us would have been toast. There is NOWHERE that you need to be that badly that would warrant you pulling that kind of shit. Calm the fuck down and don't drive like a piece of shit.

PS: Why does it seem like 90% of the douchenozzles on the road drive Altimas and Maximas?

How come there was an open lane to your right that you weren't in to begin with?

Random lane drivers (that cause you to have to pass on the right, or in arbitrary lanes) are the worst.

I so often see, in a section with 4 lanes traveling the same distance, not a lot of traffic, but a scattering of people going the same speed in every single lane when there is room for them all in 1 or 2 lanes, causing you to have to do what this guy is calling "random lane changing" to pass.

Even if I am traveling faster than the flow of traffic, I continue to keep right, being respectful of anyone wishing to travel faster than I am.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
How come there was an open lane to your right that you weren't in to begin with?

Random lane drivers (that cause you to have to pass on the right, or in arbitrary lanes) are the worst.

I so often see, in a section with 4 lanes traveling the same distance, not a lot of traffic, but a scattering of people going the same speed in every single lane when there is room for them all in 1 or 2 lanes, causing you to have to do what this guy is calling "random lane changing" to pass.

Even if I am traveling faster than the flow of traffic, I continue to keep right, being respectful of anyone wishing to travel faster than I am.

That is very common around here. Traffic in all 4 lanes is common too but I sometimes find myself in the #2 lane after passing someone and just stay there because it is the path of least resistance and there is traffic up ahead anyway.

You can throw keeping right straight out the window when traffic is like this:

6a00d8341c4fe353ef016767fae4f0970b-800wi

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I'll be on the highway driving around 70-75 and come up behind someone blocking the left lane next to slower traffic, or a semi, going about 60. I never drive right on their ass, but I'll stay 10 feet behind them so they know I'm there.

at 60 i would call that on their ass and warrant a brake check.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
That is very common around here. Traffic in all 4 lanes is common too but I sometimes find myself in the #2 lane after passing someone and just stay there because it is the path of least resistance and there is traffic up ahead anyway.

You can throw keeping right straight out the window when traffic is like this:

6a00d8341c4fe353ef016767fae4f0970b-800wi

Well, that's just a full road and no one is getting by!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
oh another thing thing that pisses me off is im driving on the 2 lane road going to work, speed limit is 65 and im doing 70 and some asshat comes screaming up behind me , rides my bumper for a mile or two because he cant pass due to oncoming string of traffic. then when he passes me he flips me off. im like what ever buddy up yours too andi continue on my merry way still at 70 and low an behold who do i see waiting at the red light. ya driving like a madman go you no further than me, you prick.

i shouldn't have done this but fuck it. i put my hand on the horn and the second the light turned green i laid on my horn. Bwhahahahah fuck you buddy.