Why do people buy "Apple" computers?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Go3iverson
Anyway, I am 100% thrilled with this TiBook! I mean, its just great. I had used my friend's 400MHz TiBook about a year or so ago and wasn't totally impressed. I mean, the screen, the design, the look, all great, but it wasn't up to my workload. This machine screams though! I'm so tempted to dump one of my G4 towers and use this is as my primary and this is from someone who wasn't a laptop person. I could move my server from my 533MHz/1MB L2 G4 to my 867MHz/2MB L3 G4 machine and give my mother the 533MHz, I guess.....

The new screen on these things is just great. My major complaint about laptops used to be the trackpad, lack of speed, screen, and keyboard (yup I hated the whole thing! lol). Ok, so I still goof on the track pad a bit, but this thing is so sleek and powerful, I'm honestly surprised a bit myself. And it was kinda cool being able to burn some mp3's onto CD while I drove to work this morning! I haven't tested the DVD-R part of the drive....yet....

As for the IBM970 chip, I thought I remember hearing that a 1GHz chip in that line has about the same processing power as a 2GHz G4. Now, I can't remember where I heard this or read it, so don't take it at face value or scream if I'm wrong, I honestly don't remember. Working in an IT dept, you hear a lot of crazy stuff at times!
Personally, I much prefer a trackpad to one of those eraser thingys you find on ThinkPads.

If you want to use this as a desktop replacement though, I'd recommend getting the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop keyboard and mouse. They work great, with integration with your browser, iTunes, Calculator, etc. with the Mac OS X drivers. The Microsoft drivers even by default reverse the MS Windows key and ALT key to mimic the APPLE and OPTION key setup on the Mac.

Or you could get a separate USB keyboard and USB mouse with a USB hub.

I would highly doubt the PPC970 would be twice as fast as the G4 clock for clock. It will be faster than the G4, but by how much remains to be seen.

EDIT:

300th post in this thread! :p

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
rolleye.gif
This thread will never die.

Perhaps the title should be changed to "5+ pages of Mac discussion - please skip to the end and post why you think macs suck ignoring the intelligent points made in all the previous posts"...

The thoughtful posts have been good reading. Thanks. :D

bsr

May 28, 2002
Originally posted by: naddicott
rolleye.gif
This thread will never die.

Perhaps the title should be changed to "5+ pages of Mac discussion - please skip to the end and post why you think macs suck ignoring the intelligent points made in all the previous posts"...

The thoughtful posts have been good reading. Thanks. :D

Or it could be changed to "7+ pages of mac and pc bashers" .. but serious this thread will never die