Why Do I Suck At Multiplayer FPS Games?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
You are probably playing with people who are really good at the game. I'm a veteran FPS. I'm usually top 3 every time I play online long as I'm not lagging. Of course that depends on what game it is and if I actually play it. It just takes a while until your skill level catches up with everyone else and you have to know the maps and also come up with some tricks to kill your opponents. Don't chase after guys if you aren't too good. Set a trap so you have the advantage.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: bupkus
I'm surprised nobody suggested playing in spectator mode. There you can see what the best do. You'll probably notice a combination of good body movement and good tactical decisions. Just watch the ones with the highest scores and you'll see a lot that you can learn from.

spectating can only help so much, especially for new players. you'd have to watch the same guy do the same thing over and over before you really began to understand why he did it. not to mention in FPS games like CS or DoD, the best players don't really have to employ much strategy in pubs, but rather can just out-aim nearly everyone in the server, so they don't have to be very tactical at all.

i think another problem is that there are good players out there that are willing to help during the rare times they actually go into a pub server, but the new players are too busy calling them cheaters and leaving the server to actually ask how/why a player did what he did.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Unless I play a lot I suck at MP... there are just too many people that are too good.

Years ago, when I played a lot, I used to get accused of cheating all the time... I was that good. But now, I suck... on CS:S I'm pretty much everyone else's bitch because I hardly ever play anymore... I'm too busy.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: hdeck
Originally posted by: bupkus
I'm surprised nobody suggested playing in spectator mode. There you can see what the best do. You'll probably notice a combination of good body movement and good tactical decisions. Just watch the ones with the highest scores and you'll see a lot that you can learn from.

spectating can only help so much, especially for new players. you'd have to watch the same guy do the same thing over and over before you really began to understand why he did it. not to mention in FPS games like CS or DoD, the best players don't really have to employ much strategy in pubs, but rather can just out-aim nearly everyone in the server, so they don't have to be very tactical at all.

i think another problem is that there are good players out there that are willing to help during the rare times they actually go into a pub server, but the new players are too busy calling them cheaters and leaving the server to actually ask how/why a player did what he did.

Spectating doesn't do much of anything. As hard as you look, you still ain't the one playing/at the controls. There is no narration and reasoning for why someone does what and how.

From my experience, what makes games like CS and Armerica's Army so much harder than regular deathmatch is because of the rounds/no respawn. In other games, you can hop on your first time, run out, get killed, do it 5 more times and start learning what does and doesn't work in half an hour (disclaimer: obviously it takes longer...). In round based games, divide that half an hour into the length of time you're alive and include a fear of sitting in the "penalty" box. Usually I do best when I stop playing for a while, then just run and gun. After a while, fear of waiting after dying takes over, so you take fewer chances and live longer, but do less. Oh, and I suck at CS and stopped trying years ago.