Why do doctors prescribe antibiotics for viruses?

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
so while your immune system is weak another bacteral infections don't invade your system

but i don't like it... it's better to let them run their course then to take med's cus the next generation of infections are stronger

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Old school, they think that if you go to the doctor you should leave with medicine. Younger doctors don't do this as much because of the resistant strains that are popping up because of careless prescriptions.

If you do get an antibiotic for a good reason TAKE THE ENTIRE PRESCRIPTION.

Thank you for your time. ;)

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Because they aren't sure that it is a virus.
Because most patients expect a prescription instead of 'go to bed, have a hot drink and take a tylenol'.
Because some viral infections pre-dispose to getting a bacterial infection.

These are not particularly good reasons for antibiotics (with the exception of the last in some circumstances)- and antibiotic treatment of minor illnesses, such as sore throat, without good evidence of bacterial infection is frowned upon.

As has been mentioned earlier, antibiotic resistance is a growing problem, over-prescription of antibiotics is one of the reasons for it. In some ways, resistance is a vicious circle - as physcians discover that their old antibiotics sometimes, don't work, they turn to new ones - sometimes inappropriately - with the result that resistance to these newer drugs is increasing faster than hoped.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
It's a combination of 2 things.. One is the patient wants to leave with a pill that makes them better, the other is the pharmaceutical companies pay the doctors for prescribing certain medications.

My wife works for a large pharmaceutical company so I know for a fact that there are kick-backs to the doctors, etc.....

I personally do not take antibiotics unless it's absolutely necessary..

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
so while your immune system is weak another bacteral infections don't invade your system

but i don't like it... it's better to let them run their course then to take med's cus the next generation of infections are stronger
Exactly right. There is a small chance that a bacterial infection can take place if the virus successfully weakens your immune system.

Also they do it just to please the customers. It is sad how many prescriptions you can get just by asking. My hometown doctor prescribed asthma medicine (including steroids) to anyone who said they were out of breath at anypoint in their life (such as running track). It is easier for them to prescribe a plecebo (antibiotics) than to deal with the patients.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002

A virus is not effected by antibiotics, they do nothing. Virii have no cures.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mark R
Because they aren't sure that it is a virus.
Because most patients expect a prescription instead of 'go to bed, have a hot drink and take a tylenol'.
Because some viral infections pre-dispose to getting a bacterial infection.

Sums it up pretty well right there. Also it puts some more money into everybodys pocket except yours if they give you a prescription.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: 911paramedic

A virus is not effected by antibiotics, they do nothing. Virii have no cures.

Yes, but if your immune system is weak, other bacteria may come and invade your weakened system... that's why we take them SOMETIMES.. but not always.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
Why would they do such a thing? Are they stupid?

I have asthma that's's been well controlled but when I get upper respiratory infections I often end up with secondary bacterial pnenmonia
a round of antibotics often ensures that I don't end up really sick.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Because as others have said... the virus will severely weaken your immune system,and then other bacterial infections will happen alot stronger.

i knew someone who had AIDS... he ended up dying of pneumonia...

the HIV virus weakend his immune system so badly that his body couldn't even fight off a cold.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
It's a combination of 2 things.. One is the patient wants to leave with a pill that makes them better, the other is the pharmaceutical companies pay the doctors for prescribing certain medications.

My wife works for a large pharmaceutical company so I know for a fact that there are kick-backs to the doctors, etc.....

The pharmaceutical industry and popular media have created the pill=cure ethos. Only weak-willed and consumer-minded physicians will give medically-unnecessary prescriptions.

The only doctors being paid to prescribe certain medications are unethical ones. The majority do not practice quid pro quo medicine but it is a significant problem in the discipline.

It is an exception NOT the norm to give patients antibiotics as prophylaxis against latent bacterial infections. People with chronic diseases: cystic fibrosis, sickel cell disease, asthma, HIV/AIDS, etc get special consideration b/c best-evidence demonstrates a clear benefit.

To the contrary the vast majority of upper respiratory infections (sinusitis, rhinitis, pharyngitis) are viral and in otherwise healthy people it is BAD medicine to give antibiotics. Even clear bacterial infections like ear (otitis media) are not treated by the antibiotic neither is strep throat. In both cases antibiotics merely reduce the risk of complications like mastoiditis (which can lead to meningitis) and rheumatic fever from untreated strep.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
to appease hypocondriacs

The medical/pharmaceutical industry should come up with a placebo "antibiotic" for that purpose. Load it up with vicodin or something so that the patient "feels" like it's working...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: FoBoT
to appease hypocondriacs

The medical/pharmaceutical industry should come up with a placebo "antibiotic" for that purpose. Load it up with vicodin or something so that the patient "feels" like it's working...

that is a good idea, except you would probably have to tell the patient, which would sorta mess it up

maybe just give anybody with a virus a shot of heroin to make them not care they are sick

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
Some possibilities:

* Patients ask for prescriptions for ease of mind.
* Patients don't have patience.
* Patients have low tolerance for pain.

So doctors are somewhat forced to prescribe something. I do agree that most things are better left running their courses, like the common cold or minor infections. Now we have super virus/bacteria running loose.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

The pharmaceutical industry and popular media have created the pill=cure ethos. Only weak-willed and consumer-minded physicians will give medically-unnecessary prescriptions.

The only doctors being paid to prescribe certain medications are unethical ones. The majority do not practice quid pro quo medicine but it is a significant problem in the discipline.

It is an exception NOT the norm to give patients antibiotics as prophylaxis against latent bacterial infections. People with chronic diseases: cystic fibrosis, sickel cell disease, asthma, HIV/AIDS, etc get special consideration b/c best-evidence demonstrates a clear benefit.

To the contrary the vast majority of upper respiratory infections (sinusitis, rhinitis, pharyngitis) are viral and in otherwise healthy people it is BAD medicine to give antibiotics. Even clear bacterial infections like ear (otitis media) are not treated by the antibiotic neither is strep throat. In both cases antibiotics merely reduce the risk of complications like mastoiditis (which can lead to meningitis) and rheumatic fever from untreated strep.

What he said...

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Of course, for the millions who don't have any health insurance, they would feel robbed if they left the doctor's office empty handed.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Of course, for the millions who don't have any health insurance, they would feel robbed if they left the doctor's office empty handed.

I assume you meant to be sarcastic? Decent physicians that felt the need to give antibiotics would give their non-insured (or otherwise financially constrained) patients samples sufficient to cover their treatment. It's one of the few areas where pharmaceutical companies and their minions actually serve the public good.

katka

Jun 19, 2001
I have NEVER known or had a Physician who prescribed an antiobiotic for a virus. I highly doubt that there is a financial incentive to do so either, because antibiotic are cheap, not patented, and have many cheap manufacturers. Kickbackscome into play with things like Prozac, which half the world in now on without any notable changes in society :Q. Also, with many of the Advertised patented drugs. If you see a commercial there is probably some financial incentive, as well as some danger to the product.