Why do companies tend to lose good employees but end up keeping the bad employes?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Notice this at the company I'm working at right now. I'm about to leave. The people that are there that have been making difficult for the new hires are the ones that are generally inefficient and not as knowledgeable. The IT department never fires anyone....

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
You must not be at a very desirable company. The good people leave for better, the bad people can't do any better.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
This is self explaining. Crap employees will make it tough on new ones since they know if the new ones prove to be more efficient at there job they might lose a job.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: rpanic
Sounds like a union or goverment job

LOL, Hospital, Non-profit Organization. So I guess it's the closest it can get to a gov or union job.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Good people have better options. They usually leave on their own or find a way to get kicked out (for the unemployment).
Bad people also tend to make less money. When it comes time to crunch numbers they usually toss out the expensive folks, even if they do better work.

HyTekJosh

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Leros
You must not be at a very desirable company. The good people leave for better, the bad people can't do any better.

Yup. The good people are smart enough to know that other opportunities may exist.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There was an article on slashdot a few weeks ago about exactly that. Good article, explains everything.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Because it's hard to fire stupid people, but it's easy for good employees to get new jobs.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Good people tend to jump to better opportunites, bad people are stuck with whatever scraps they can get.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Leros

Exactly how it is at my office. Quality employees typically won't put up with the bullshit forever. The bad ones are too busy being miserable to ever move on with their lives.

For my part, I'm removing myself from the bad ones by getting promoted. :)

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

LOL, Hospital, Non-profit Organization. So I guess it's the closest it can get to a gov or union job.

The healthcare industry is so inter-twined with govt regulations it's almost worse than a govt organization.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
It's hard to fire people in some states and not get sued, even if the person needed to go. It's often easier to keep them onboard.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

In my experience government jobs have had the good people. The private job I have now has a lot of bad workers like me.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

In my experience government jobs have had the good people. The private job I have now has a lot of bad workers like me.

That just shows you that you can't stereotype one sector. My experience with government jobs was completely different. A bunch of overpaid people that didn't work more than 2 hours a day (oh they were there 9 hours, but they didn't work 9 hours).

Every place has it's good and bad people.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
Notice this at the company I'm working at right now. I'm about to leave. The people that are there that have been making difficult for the new hires are the ones that are generally inefficient and not as knowledgeable. The IT department never fires anyone....

A year from now you'll probably see those same people working in the same position when you left.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Bad employees tend to be able to have a higher tolerance for that kind of crap. Chances are though, they are the ones perpetuating it. Once they get established in seniority, they are even harder to remove, thus making life harder for people with talent and/or passion for their jobs.

A good employee can be turned into a bad one quite easily. It doesn't take much...just a gradual wearing down of one's spirit and enthusiasm day to day.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Bad employees tend to be able to have a higher tolerance for that kind of crap. Chances are though, they are the ones perpetuating it. Once they get established in seniority, they are even harder to remove, thus making life harder for people with talent and/or passion for their jobs.

A good employee can be turned into a bad one quite easily. It doesn't take much...just a gradual wearing down of one's spirit and enthusiasm day to day.
WOW! Did you work at my old job?

Thats pretty much it right there.
Its the fools and assholes that weasel their way up from blue collar to white collar and then fudge up everything. And things stay fudged up because companies hate to let managers go.

Then they ruin everybody beneath them.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

WOW! Did you work at my old job?

Thats pretty much it right there.
Its the fools and assholes that weasel their way up from blue collar to white collar and then fudge up everything. And things stay fudged up because companies hate to let managers go.

Then they ruin everybody beneath them.

lol, my "company" (we're actually a non profit) fires managers if they sneezed at the wrong time. hear about it all the time

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
"Good" employees often get sick of having to pick up the slack caused by the "bad" employees not doing their jobs, and end up going elsewhere. Trust me, I've been there!

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Lots of insightful comments above. When people aren't held accountable for the work they do--and especially for the work they don't do--it brings everyone down b/c the only way to protect yourself from doing their work in addition to yours is to become slow and adept at excuses just like them. It's a dysfunctional environment which punishes the good and rewards the bad.