Why do companies tend to lose good employees but end up keeping the bad employes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by steppinthrax, May 10, 2008.

1. lightstar

lightstar Senior member

some companies value loyalty over competence

2. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

Yeah. I'm not actually a bad worker though. I've voluntarily contributed in a lot of unnecessary ways, and it's not like I've been rewarded. I won't be sticking around for long.

3. JS80

JS80 Lifer

You're not as important as you think you are
    OR
    Because they are cheaper and the "good" employees don't bring the value that their pay demands.

4. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

its called the dead sea effect. cheap/lousy companies pay little/demand a lot/have absurd retarded management. good workers that can leave, will..and evaporate leaving those who are just happy to have a job behind and entrench themselves in the concentrated ever more concentrated crap.

5. sao123

sao123 Lifer

They lose good people because they refuse to pay well... They keep the losers because they can justify paying stupid people less... then they can hire a CEO to run things for top dollars... because noone at the bottom is qualified to make decision.

6. MovingTarget

MovingTarget Diamond Member

I don't know if I did or not, but from what I've seen it is pretty common. I worked at a software company that had rather broken procedures for internal communication, bug resolution, training (a MUST for a proprietary system), and just about everything else. I could've done a lot of good there because I cared about what I did. However, I gradually got worn down to the point where I dreaded coming in everyday. My work suffered and I was no longer the employee they hired. The people who rose to management were sometimes really good, but some of the "lifers" as they came to be called, were pretty bad, leading by any other way but a good example.

7. nervegrind3r

nervegrind3r Lifer

exactly, very good point!

8. james1701

james1701 Golden Member

Your not a Respiratory Therapist are you?
    Its the same way at the hospital I am at. Managment has a way they want things done, and it does not matter if you find a better way of doing it. Ussually its the lazy people that abuse the system. A good worker will go out and bust their butt to make the department looks good, but when there is trouble, it almost always falls on the good employees. They do most of the work and get caught up in the bureaucracy of it all, will the slow lazy people just slump in the corner saying I dont know, or its not my fault, or I was not even there.

9. Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi Lifer

Fail usually starts at the top.

One bad manager can allow screw ups to get away with whatever they want. It's usually trickle-down theory of laziness. Lazy managers that don't want to clean house end up with lazy employees that don't want new hires to create more work for them by doing their jobs (and making the lazy ones look bad).

10. tigersty1e

tigersty1e Golden Member

Here's the underlying issue.

When you're new at a company, you do your best to show what you have. You want to impress your boss, be cool with your co-workers, and not be a screw-up. You bring your A game and show up on time.

After you've been working there for a while, you get to know the "system." The pay raises are fixed/standard, the bonuses are fixed/standard, you figure out a way to do your same work with 1/10th the effort (and it shows), and you learn 1 or 2 things that your boss has no clue how to do (you become "valuable"). You show up late on some days, but come early on others. You vary it so often that they can't say s**t. That's why it seems like they are lazy and incompetent. It's not that at all. They're just chillin'.

11. skace

skace Lifer

It all comes down to mismanagement. Most managers lack the skills to do their job properly. They don't handle their work area and don't reward / punish properly. Instead they spend all their time in meetings, sitting on mute playing solitaire.