why can't they vote?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
Obama is actually turning out to be pretty moderate. He mentioned he'd be willing to work with Republicans on a plan that included drilling in ANWR and on the OCS. We need something to end this stalemate in Congress, the Democrats need to compromise on the drilling issue.

He's always been pretty moderate. The 'OMG far left' bit is just a smear spoon-fed to the talk radio wingnuts. Even McCain was against lifting the drilling ban until recently.

Pelosi OTOH is not moderate, but hey, her district isn't even as big as to include the entire city of San Francisco. So she represents her constituents. This is why I was not happy when she got the Speaker position last year.

Sad to say though, guys, the oil companies (and thus the Republican party) are going to lose this round. 5 weeks from now, oil and gas prices will have dropped to the point that this won't even be much of an issue, and the drilling ban will be removed with little fanfare. And a new bigger issue will be at center stage.

HAI I'M OBAMA I'M MODERATE

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Seven years of inaction and the GOP is whining about a yearly 5-week vacation?

Sorry, Americans aren't stupid enough to fall for that. Or are they?

For the record...the last 1.6 years of inaction was controlled by the party of change...you just don't get it do you?

Anyone who thinks that a slim majority in the House means control of our govt just doesn't get how our govt works.

Nov 30, 2006

For the record...the last 1.6 years of inaction was controlled by the party of change...you just don't get it do you?

Anyone who thinks that a slim majority in the House means control of our govt just doesn't get how our govt works.
So...what are you saying...the Dems need a super majority and a Dem President to start showing us their true colors?

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: IGBT
..she's the flack catcher for the ecoKOOKS. they're following their plan to keep energy punitively expensive. it's for your own good. she says she has a planet to save.

Look at all the people on these forums who call for even higher gas prices to try to force people out of their SUV's...
I'm one who calls for higher gas prices...but not to force people out of SUVs. It's to build the desire to wean people off of oil. If that means weaning people off of SUVs in the process, so be it.

Then you need to realize just how much we rely on oil. It doesn't just fuel your car. Plastics, like the stuff your computer has in it are from oil, asphalt uses oil, roofing shingles use oil, propane is a by product of oil refining, the list is almost endless. Oil while a finite resource is probably one of the most efficientally used resources.
Until we can figure out a way to stop using a lot of what we have now, we will never been weened off of oil.

People that want higher gas prices are just jerks that don't truley understand the issue and the complexity of the intertwining of oil and our civilization.
If you really want to lessen the use of oil for fuel, you need to worry more about oil burning power plants than SUV's and pick ups.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

So...what are you saying...the Dems need a super majority and a Dem President to start showing us their true colors?

I'm saying that the legislative branch does not control the operations of our govt.

And if you're looking for 'true colors,' I suggest you look at the party that already had control of both the legislative and executive branches up until a year and a half ago.

Jesus, this is a pathetic spin.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The Republican dam is breaking and a mighty wave is coming.

Already we hear the more prescient of them beginning to howl.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
..she's the flack catcher for the ecoKOOKS. they're following their plan to keep energy punitively expensive. it's for your own good. she says she has a planet to save.

Look at all the people on these forums who call for even higher gas prices to try to force people out of their SUV's...
I'm one who calls for higher gas prices...but not to force people out of SUVs. It's to build the desire to wean people off of oil. If that means weaning people off of SUVs in the process, so be it.

Then you need to realize just how much we rely on oil. It doesn't just fuel your car. Plastics, like the stuff your computer has in it are from oil, asphalt uses oil, roofing shingles use oil, propane is a by product of oil refining, the list is almost endless. Oil while a finite resource is probably one of the most efficientally used resources.
Until we can figure out a way to stop using a lot of what we have now, we will never been weened off of oil.

People that want higher gas prices are just jerks that don't truley understand the issue and the complexity of the intertwining of oil and our civilization.
If you really want to lessen the use of oil for fuel, you need to worry more about oil burning power plants than SUV's and pick ups.

I know that Rush told you this talking point recently, but people in favor of conservation have been saying this for years. Decades in fact. So for you guys to start saying it now is pretty silly.
This is an argument in favor of weaning our dependence off oil as a fuel, not in increasing it. Or as one prominent scientist said, "When it's gone, we'll regret we burned it all."

However, I am NOT in favor of higher gas prices. I'm just against knee-jerking. While the usual hacks have been arguing their spoon-fed talking points that only lifting the drilling ban can lower oil prices, oil prices have been plummeting anyway. Currently down more some 25% in a month.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Robor
That's a pretty silly statement, there could be plenty of logical reasons to be against certain standards. Hey, lets mandate that by the end of this year, every car on the road has to get 200 MPG, there's no logical reason to be against MPG standards amirite?

Stop being stupid.

My point was that obviously there can be logical and legitimate reasons to oppose MPG standards, it's not as black and white as you seem to think it is.

Yes, there are logical and legitimate reasons to oppose MPG standards, but pushing for fleet standards of 30 or 40 MPG is not unreasonable or illogical.

How about the people who drive 1 hr+ commutes?

What does that have to do with making a reasonable MPG standard? 1hr commute can mean you spend 1 hour in traffic to go 25 miles or it could mean you work 60-70 miles away.

Nov 30, 2006

I'm saying that the legislative branch does not control the operations of our govt.

And if you're looking for 'true colors,' I suggest you look at the party that already had control of both the legislative and executive branches up until a year and a half ago.

So..."the legislative branch does not control the operations of our govt." LOL...I guess you're right...I don't "get how our govt works". Thanks for educating me. :roll:

You're the one who criticized the GOP for 7 year's of inaction...I was just pointing out the 1.6 year old turd on the pile of shit...apparently you can't see or smell it for some reason.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

So..."the legislative branch does not control the operations of our govt." LOL...I guess you're right...I don't "get how our govt works". Thanks for educating me. :roll:

You're the one who criticized the GOP for 7 year's of inaction...I was just pointing out the 1.6 year old turd on the pile of shit...apparently you can see or smell it for some reason.

And apparently you can't read posts even when you quote them.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: Robor
That's a pretty silly statement, there could be plenty of logical reasons to be against certain standards. Hey, lets mandate that by the end of this year, every car on the road has to get 200 MPG, there's no logical reason to be against MPG standards amirite?

Stop being stupid.

My point was that obviously there can be logical and legitimate reasons to oppose MPG standards, it's not as black and white as you seem to think it is.

Yes, there are logical and legitimate reasons to oppose MPG standards, but pushing for fleet standards of 30 or 40 MPG is not unreasonable or illogical.

How about the people who drive 1 hr+ commutes?

You would think such commuters would be at the front of a market push for higher MPG cars, regardless of the price of fuel. If they choose not to, then why should they get a govt handout for their poor decision?

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: herm0016
she has said she will come up with a sensible energy plan, she has not. Others have plans that she will not bring up for a vote. she promised an open house, where things could get done, yet she blocks voting on the things Americans agree most on. Americans agree overwhelmingly that we should pass energy legislation that includes alternative sources and more domestic production of current sources. She is off hawking her new book instead of doing her job, working for the people who are struggling with high energy prices.
what happened to the house being there to represent the people of the country?

I say get them all back to work, they work for us, the American people, and we overwhelmingly want them to vote on energy legislation to increase domestic production and investment in alternative energy sources. Even if the prices do not come down now, lets invest in our future, so we can keep prices from rising much higher, lets increase cafe standards, lets increase our funding of alt. energy like wind, solar, and hydro, lets let them drill in responsible ways and use this to help pay for our investment in alt. energy. giving everyone 1000 dollars may sound great now, but we could use that to save lots more in the future by lowering energy costs for business and individual alike.

This is such an easy answer....

Odds are the next president will be a Dem. There are also numerous seats that will change hands in the House and a few more seats in the Senate.

Now, why are Repubs rushing to pass something now? Because the window of opportunity is closing.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

what oil burning power plants?

half our power comes from coal.

another fifth comes from nuclear.

a bit more than a fifth comes from NG.

that leaves about 8% for everything else, including solar, wind, hydro, and whatever tiny percentage is oil.

chrisho

Jun 17, 2008
Because Pelosi is invested in wind power... to where she earns money from that industry.

Even though it provides less than a percent of power, even though the average farm produces less than twenty percent of its rated power per year. That and throw in the fact she is held hostage by the radicals of her party like the RR holds certain Republicans by the short hairs

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Smart move on her part. Delay such a Bill until sometime next Spring. Pres Obama and his Democrat Senate/House will bring a Bill filled with much of the same Democrat Policies. The difference being that it will be implemented by the originators of the ideas, not the Republicans desperate to save some face.

The World won't end if an Energy Bill doesn't pass immediately.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
Smart move on her part. Delay such a Bill until sometime next Spring. Pres Obama and his Democrat Senate/House will bring a Bill filled with much of the same Democrat Policies. The difference being that it will be implemented by the originators of the ideas, not the Republicans desperate to save some face.

She can only delay it till October. End of September the oil ban provision self expires.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi

She can only delay it till October. End of September the oil ban provision self expires.

Which is the biggest evidence of all that this is just weak political game on the part of the Republican party.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi

Which is the biggest evidence of all that this is just weak political game on the part of the Republican party.

Uhhhh, I think it's a bit more complicated than that guys. Otherwise Pelosi would not be making these kinds of statements:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is considering softening her stance against additional offshore oil drilling. "One proposal under consideration would let states decide whether to permit new energy exploration off their coasts while possibly maintaining the drilling ban off the Pacific Coast, according to a House leadership aide who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of ongoing negotiations. Pelosi has long opposed lifting the drilling ban but has come under pressure from members of her own party -- including freshmen in tough reelection campaigns -- to allow a vote on offshore drilling.

Link

I doubt the simple expiration of the ban would do anything. Companies wouldn't just be free to run around drilling etc. The govenment has to auction off the rights etc.

Fern

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I read an article that said she has personally invested heavily in the T. Boone Pickens energy plan thus wants the US to take that direction.

I am going to hunt for that link.

[EDIT]

Here is the link

Pelosi and the Big-Wind Boone-doggle.

Though she seemingly backtracked on labeling drilling a ?hoax? this week, Pelosi refuses to consider GOP energy proposals that don?t include massive government subsidies for so-called eco-alternatives that have never panned out.

Pickens and Pelosi share the same talking points downplaying the need to drill and open up more access to American oil. Instead, the Pickens pie-in-the-sky plan proposes to replace natural gas with wind power in power generation and theoretically free up natural gas for America?s transportation needs.

As reported on dontgomovement.com, Speaker Pelosi bought between $50,000 and $100,000 worth of stock in Pickens? CLNE Corp. in May 2007 on the day of the initial public offering: ?She, and other investors, stand to gain a substantial return on their investment if gasoline prices stay high, and municipal, state and even the Federal governments start using natural gas as their primary fuel source. If gasoline prices fall? Alternative fuels and the cost to convert fleets over to them become less and less attractive.?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

At which point the Republicans should filibuster. It's a stupid game everyone is playing.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
Hi Pot. Or are you Kettle?

Just because I call you out for being a partisan hack doesn't make me one myself. Maybe if your posts consisted of something more than just repeating Obamamessiah over and over again. :roll:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

I welcome higher oil price and I drive a lifted Jeep Cherokee. Or I should say I welcome higher oil price now, vs INSANELY HIGHER oil price and fuel shortages in the future.

The reason high oil price is good is that they will force America to do two things:
1) End the suburban sprawl and endless highway building madness, and instead make our cities function properly.
2) Work harder to develop alternatives to fossil fuels.

Expanding drilling is a smokescreen- it won't get us oil for 10 years. Therefore, a 2 week break for Congress makes absolutely no difference. Anyone who thinks it does make a difference represents what is wrong with America- susceptibility to shallow marketing and pandering.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

I welcome higher oil price and I drive a lifted Jeep Cherokee. Or I should say I welcome higher oil price now, vs INSANELY HIGHER oil price and fuel shortages in the future.

The reason high oil price is good is that they will force America to do two things:
1) End the suburban sprawl and endless highway building madness, and instead make our cities function properly.

Expanding drilling is a smokescreen- it won't get us oil for 10 years. Therefore, a 2 week break for Congress makes absolutely no difference. Anyone who thinks it does make a difference represents what is wrong with America- susceptibility to shallow marketing and pandering.

So you will be celebrating when countless people die this winter from starvation or feezing to death?

If you believe it will be 10 years I have a bridge to sell you. A near 3rd world country in brazil is going to get oil from deep deep water in under 3 years but it will take the US a decade sure.

1. So you want to dictate to people were they live now?
2. Nice in theory but we are still 20 years away from a real alternative. No use suffering in the mean time. This country can easily do both drill and go after alternatives.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

10 years passes in no time. It WILL provide IMMEDIATE relief in prices at the pump because OIL TRADES AS FUTURES CONTRACTS. If there is absolute evidence of new drilling and introduction to the supply, speculators will unwind their leveraged positions and oil futures will drop like a rock.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: chrisho
Because Pelosi is invested in wind power... to where she earns money from that industry.

Even though it provides less than a percent of power, even though the average farm produces less than twenty percent of its rated power per year. That and throw in the fact she is held hostage by the radicals of her party like the RR holds certain Republicans by the short hairs

If Pelosi is such a radical how come she won't allow a vote on impeaching GWB?
How did such a radical become speaker? I suppose it is by being a pragmatist.