Why Can't I Speak Japanese After So Long of Watching Anime?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
For most of my teenage years I was spending hours a day, every day, watching anime in Japanese with English subtitles.

Despite this I can't say simple phrases such as how are you? and what's your name?, or even count to ten in Japanese.

I actually want to learn "CHINESE" because I want to manufacture GPUs and most are made in China or Taiwan.

But I feel like if I can't learn Japanese after so long of Watching Anime, I don't have what it takes to learn Chinese.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Either you're daft or my mind is just better equipped for translating. I've gotten a good sense of Japanese and its inflections even though I cannot grasp the details. It did pay to do a little self study.

Phonetically, it's actually not different from Latin in that practically everything has a vowel.

Japanese is not like Mandarin Chinese(and the other Chinese varieties deviate from Mandarin greatly but only Western spies would need that level of learning) at all...

Fun fact is that Japanese love their loans words but because of their language ambiguity, translating their katakana back into English allows for some liberties.....both in pronunciation and spelling.

It explains many things in media and games made by Japanese. CLOUD STRIFE, S.O.L.D.I.E.R...it's all because to them, that's "cool"-sounding. Final Fantasy Six, it's not "Terra" as commonly known in the English-speaking world, it's "Tina" as the half-Esper female main.

Translation will always have a tradeoff of preserving the direct meaning or the "emotions" conveyed by the term.

-Former casual weeb Torn Mind.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
In addition, subtitles usually takes attention away from focus on the words actually spoken, and thus it is better to use "native writing" subs or no subs to get a gist of the sounds.

I mean, eventually an "arigatou" or "kokoro" will get noticed, along with terms like watashi, atashi, etc.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
You can learn Japanese watching anime if you turn on Japanese subs. It's how I have learned some Japanese from watching stuff like しろくまカフェ、からかい上手の高木さん、イジらないで長瀞さん、など.

how are you?
お前はもう死んでいる
omae wa mou shinde iru

what's your name?
鼻血が出るほどいいまんこは気持ちいいヌルヌルしていい
hanaji ga deru hodo ii manko wa kimochi ii nuru nuru shite ii

even count to ten
一、二、三、死、五、六、死ち、八、九、十
ichi, ni, san, shi, go, roku, shichi, hachi, kyuu, juu

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: evident

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Japanese don't like to say shi since it sounds like death (Chinese import) . So they say yon instead.

Jul 27, 2020
what's your name?
What is the literal meaning of all those words???

That's a messed up language where you have to expend so much energy uttering so many words just to ask a name :oops:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

That's a messed up language where you have to expend so much energy uttering so many words just to ask a name :oops:

鼻血 = hanaji = nosebleed
が = ga = subject marking particle (marks nosebleed as subject)
出る = deru = exit
ほど = hodo = extent
いい = ii = good
まんこ = manko = p*ssy
は = wa = topic marking particle (marks p*ssy so good you get a nosebleed as topic of the sentence)
気持ち = kimochi = feeling
いい = ii = good
ヌルヌル = nuru nuru = wet and slippery
して = shite = do
いい = ii = good

鼻血が出るほどいいまんこは気持ちいいヌルヌルしていい = p*ssy so good you get a nosebleed feels good, getting wet and slippery is good

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
at least not in animes :colbert:

I promise that's not the case, though have no idea what :colbert: means tbh.

You'll also hear shichi instead of nana a lot for 7, eg like in the Kurosawa film 七人の侍 = shichinin no samurai = 7 Samurai or 7時 = shichiji = 7 o'clock.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

The first one, お前はもう死んでいる = omae wa mou shinde iru means you're already dead (said kind of disrespectfully). It's from Fist of the North Star

The real way to ask someone his name is お名前は? = onamae wa? And to ask how are you doing would be お元気ですか?= ogenki desu ka?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
You can learn Japanese watching anime if you turn on Japanese subs. It's how I have learned some Japanese from watching stuff like しろくまカフェ、からかい上手の高木さん、イジらないで長瀞さん、など.

how are you?
お前はもう死んでいる
omae wa mou shinde iru

what's your name?

even count to ten
一、二、三、死、五、六、死ち、八、九、十
ichi, ni, san, shi, go, roku, shichi, hachi, kyuu, juu

How did you type in Japanese?

Do you have a keyboard with Japanese instead of qwerty?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Do you have a keyboard with Japanese instead of qwerty?
Qwerty is not a language, qwerty is the layout of an english language keyboard. There are also what are called Dvorak layout English boards.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I promise that's not the case, though have no idea what :colbert: means tbh.

You'll also hear shichi instead of nana a lot for 7, eg like in the Kurosawa film 七人の侍 = shichinin no samurai = 7 Samurai or 7時 = shichiji = 7 o'clock.

7G3zITG.png