Why aren't there more DVD-only games?

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Just installing Battlefield Vietnam and it sucks playing disc jockey. Who here HASN'T a DVD drive? And if you don't have one, would you have the hardware to support the latest games?

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
yeah, this has been a big topic of discussion with my friends and i...i mean, 5 cds?!
come on!

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Not everyone has a DVD drive. And I think if they were to switch over to strictly DVD discs people would get pissed and not buy the game since they obviously wouldn't be able to install/play it. However, I'm sure some of you are thinking to make it both on DVD and CD. I think the cost factor comes in, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Given the apparently resounding success of UT2004 SE, we'll likely see a rush of DVD releases in the near future.

Viper GTS

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Not everyone has a DVD drive. And I think if they were to switch over to strictly DVD discs people would get pissed and not buy the game since they obviously wouldn't be able to install/play it. However, I'm sure some of you are thinking to make it both on DVD and CD. I think the cost factor comes in, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just like when people got pissed when they moved to cd from floppy.

I used to work at Babbages back then and people go so mad when I told them they could't get the newest game on floppy and thought it was a waste that they didnt release the games on disk.

Oh yeah..

REPOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: LordJezo

Just like when people got pissed when they moved to cd from floppy.

I used to work at Babbages back then and people go so mad when I told them they could't get the newest game on floppy and thought it was a waste that they didnt release the games on disk.

Yup. However, I'm all for it. I wish I could get my hands on the UT2K4 DVD myself. It's hard to come by here where I live as well.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
This was asked a while ago and someone posted a link to some publisher that said it would put a serious damper in their bottom line since many people do not have DVD drives.

Hell, for their christmas issue, PCGamer put out a DVD instead of their usual CD. They got a ton of nasty emails from people complaining because they don't have a dvd drive.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
I have a 9800pro, couple of WD SE hard drives, good cooling, several fans, hyperx memory, etc. etc., all the computer geek stuff, and I didn't have a DVD drive until I got in on the OM $19 8x dual format deal a month ago.

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
I can only think of three games that have come out in DVD format: Riven, Baldur's Gate, and UT2K4. What else is there?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
there was just a thread about this when UT2K4 came out , most peopel dont have DVD drives in their computers still, for most there is no need, granted most new comps come with a CDRW/DVD combo drive but im guessing many dont opt for that option

now i have both a DVD drive and a DVD burner, can i vote twice?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The sub $100 DVD-Burners would be the biggest innovators in this area me thinks.

Who buys cdrw drives anymore when you can get a DVD player & burner for $40 more?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: vi_edit
The sub $100 DVD-Burners would be the biggest innovators in this area me thinks.

Who buys cdrw drives anymore when you can get a DVD player & burner for $40 more?

hell for just 100$ you can get a DVD burner which does all 3 plays DVDs and burns CDs and DVDs

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
hell for just 100$ you can get a DVD burner which does all 3 plays DVDs and burns CDs and DVDs

Well, yeh, that's kind of a given. I haven't seen really any DVD burners that DON'T do regular CDR/CDRW functions.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
And this is covered. What, 10000 times a year?
no, only 10 or 12 times :)
Computer Gaming World put out a special DVD one issue late last year with full versions of Deus Ex 1 and Thier 2 and got hate mail from many readers who still only had CD drives.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
And this is covered. What, 10000 times a year?
no, only 10 or 12 times :)
Computer Gaming World put out a special DVD one issue late last year with full versions of Deus Ex 1 and Thier 2 and got hate mail from many readers who still only had CD drives.

i nremember that, Same thing happened when OPM ( official playstation Mag) started includeing demop disks that were DVD (PS2) format, the did every other month for a bot but then switched all together and peopel REALLY hated that also

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Someone without a DVD drive doesn't normally plays the latest games. If he can't afford a DVD drive, I'm sure as hell he doesn't have a GF5700 or ATI Radeon whatever. I found that weird cuz yesterday, I found a computer at work and the "Production stamp" on the DVD ROM said October 1999. So it has been around already about 5 years.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Hm, that's kinda weird. Anyone who built a computer in the last 3 years for playing games did buy a DVD drive, no? Everything else would be stupid IMO.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Many people don't have a DVD-ROM because they own a DVD Player.
I wish everything was on DVDs too.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ndee
Hm, that's kinda weird. Anyone who built a computer in the last 3 years for playing games did buy a DVD drive, no? Everything else would be stupid IMO.
A year or two ago Dell and others were still selling systems with 1 CDRW (not DVD+CDRW combo) or even 1 CD + 1 CDRW. Manufacturing cost was slightly less so that's what they shipped.

As mentioned in the other 10 or 12 threads ;) most people don't build their own machines, and would never upgrade a part themselves. A game publisher sells to the mass audience not to AT do-it-yourselfers.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Most of the UT2k4 versions in the UK seem to be the DVD version (we get a normal DVD version over here, not just the SE). At least, all the ones in the 2 or 3 shops I saw the game for sale in were DVD's. Couldn't actually find a CD version :eek: