Why aren't there more DVD-only games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
31,440
5
0
i agree, both of my optical drives in my computer are DVD.. a DVD-ROM and a DVD-R

jesus... bring on the DVD's!
 

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
6,944
3
81
Originally posted by: ndee
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Not everyone has a DVD drive. And I think if they were to switch over to strictly DVD discs people would get pissed and not buy the game since they obviously wouldn't be able to install/play it. However, I'm sure some of you are thinking to make it both on DVD and CD. I think the cost factor comes in, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Someone without a DVD drive doesn't normally plays the latest games. If he can't afford a DVD drive, I'm sure as hell he doesn't have a GF5700 or ATI Radeon whatever. I found that weird cuz yesterday, I found a computer at work and the "Production stamp" on the DVD ROM said October 1999. So it has been around already about 5 years.
Not true.
Many people have high end systems and play the latest games but have no use for a DVD drive because they don't watch movies on their comp and almost every game is on CD.

My system is about 2 years old. It is beginning to show it's age in the newest games (BF Vietnam), but it was perfectly capable of playing everything else I have wanted to play in the past 2 years. But I have no use for a DVD drive. Yet.

And is it really that much of a pain to have 3 or even 5 discs?
I mean you install the game once, have to change discs a couple of times, then you never have to deal with them again.
 

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
12,680
1
0
Originally posted by: Shanti
Originally posted by: ndee
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Not everyone has a DVD drive. And I think if they were to switch over to strictly DVD discs people would get pissed and not buy the game since they obviously wouldn't be able to install/play it. However, I'm sure some of you are thinking to make it both on DVD and CD. I think the cost factor comes in, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Someone without a DVD drive doesn't normally plays the latest games. If he can't afford a DVD drive, I'm sure as hell he doesn't have a GF5700 or ATI Radeon whatever. I found that weird cuz yesterday, I found a computer at work and the "Production stamp" on the DVD ROM said October 1999. So it has been around already about 5 years.
Not true.
Many people have high end systems and play the latest games but have no use for a DVD drive because they don't watch movies on their comp and almost every game is on CD.

My system is about 2 years old. It is beginning to show it's age in the newest games (BF Vietnam), but it was perfectly capable of playing everything else I have wanted to play in the past 2 years. But I have no use for a DVD drive. Yet.

And is it really that much of a pain to have 3 or even 5 discs?
I mean you install the game once, have to change discs a couple of times, then you never have to deal with them again.
A CD Rom is $30 and a DVD Rom about $50, that's just a no brainer for me. I'm just a lazy person, that's all ;) And also, a lot of gaming magazines here offer a DVD version of their magazine with some nice specials(higher quality trailers, etc.) so I think that's pretty useful(not implying that you said it wasn't useful :)).
 

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
6,944
3
81
To answer the actual question:
Releasing games only on DVD means there are lots of people(even if it's only 10 or 20% of the customers) who will not buy the game.
How many people will refuse to buy the game because it's NOT on DVD?
I'd guess zero.
 

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
12,680
1
0
Originally posted by: Shanti
To answer the actual question:
Releasing games only on DVD means there are lots of people(even if it's only 10 or 20% of the customers) who will not buy the game.
How many people will refuse to buy the game because it's NOT on DVD?
I'd guess zero.
Yeah, but sometimes, the changes has to be made IMO. Otherwise, we would still be in stone age.
 

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
2,690
0
0
Originally posted by: Shanti
Originally posted by: ndee
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Not everyone has a DVD drive. And I think if they were to switch over to strictly DVD discs people would get pissed and not buy the game since they obviously wouldn't be able to install/play it. However, I'm sure some of you are thinking to make it both on DVD and CD. I think the cost factor comes in, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Someone without a DVD drive doesn't normally plays the latest games. If he can't afford a DVD drive, I'm sure as hell he doesn't have a GF5700 or ATI Radeon whatever. I found that weird cuz yesterday, I found a computer at work and the "Production stamp" on the DVD ROM said October 1999. So it has been around already about 5 years.
Not true.
Many people have high end systems and play the latest games but have no use for a DVD drive because they don't watch movies on their comp and almost every game is on CD.

My system is about 2 years old. It is beginning to show it's age in the newest games (BF Vietnam), but it was perfectly capable of playing everything else I have wanted to play in the past 2 years. But I have no use for a DVD drive. Yet.

And is it really that much of a pain to have 3 or even 5 discs?
I mean you install the game once, have to change discs a couple of times, then you never have to deal with them again.
Yes. There are a lot of people that don't care to have a DVD drive. If they prefer to watch movies on their HT setup--they wouldn't need a drive as much. This doesn't mean they don't play the latest and greatest games--just means they're saving money on something they don't really need. Besides--saving money on other parts means you can get a better vidcard/memory.


-Case
 

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
5,110
2
76
And for those of us who have multiple comps, not all of them have dvd drives. Only my server has a dvdrw (for ripping dvds and backing stuff up) and my HTPC (for watching dvds) has a dvd drive. The rest of my flock including my desktop have cdroms and/or cdrws.
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,257
7,740
126
i think it has more to do with royalties on DVDs being much higher than those on CDs.
 

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
12,680
1
0
The price difference is about $12 on newegg ($16.50 vs. $28). Don't know if that will get you a THAT much better video card ;)
 

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
6,944
3
81
Originally posted by: ndee
The price difference is about $12 on newegg ($16.50 vs. $28). Don't know if that will get you a THAT much better video card ;)
Sure, but if you are just upgrading your comp and you already have a CD drive, it's $28 vs. $0.
And I'm not going to spend an extra $28 when there is no need for it.

Originally posted by: ndee
Originally posted by: Shanti
To answer the actual question:
Releasing games only on DVD means there are lots of people(even if it's only 10 or 20% of the customers) who will not buy the game.
How many people will refuse to buy the game because it's NOT on DVD?
I'd guess zero.
Yeah, but sometimes, the changes has to be made IMO. Otherwise, we would still be in stone age.
Change doesn't have to be made unless there is a good reason to change.
Change happens when the change brings some advantage.
Until now, the advantage is small enough that it's not worth the money for many people.

I'm sure that two years from now, pretty much everyone will have a DVD drive. By then, the new games coming out would probably require 10 or 20 CD's. And that is when the advantage of DVD will become a much bigger deal.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY