Why arent Climate Change protesters using the phrase 'Global Warming' instead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Because chuds spent the last 15 years conflating the issue to the point global warming is tied to a hoax for the stupidest among us.
I find blunt force trauma can be quite impactful when applied. We are well beyond "the pause" now. The problem IS warming from CO2, and I for one stand by the term Global Warming. Climate Change is applicable, murky though it may be. I favor the blunt and bold statement of the original term. It carries a point that can, and needs to be made.

So I say, let us clobber Republicans over the head with "Global Warming" until they cry for mercy.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I find blunt force trauma can be quite impactful when applied. We are well beyond "the pause" now. The problem IS warming from CO2, and I for one stand by the term Global Warming. Climate Change is applicable, murky though it may be. I favor the blunt and bold statement of the original term. It carries a point that can, and needs to be made.

So I say, let us clobber Republicans over the head with "Global Warming" until they cry for mercy.

im there man. Driving an all elec i3 and about to buy a place in a year with solar. (solar is mandated for all new construction homes come 2020 in California). I still eat steak so im sure the chuds will tell me Im not doing enough.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I realize y'all aren't used to digesting words and phrases without thought leaders telling you what to think about it first, so I'll try to put it into bite-sized snippets of thought.

Person I quoted says that corruption eventually changes people so that they become corrupt (which, is actually the goal of corruption, to perpetuate itself for the benefit of the corrupter). In essence, right now young people don't want to poison the world they live in, because, well, they don't like poison. But, if they're forced to carve out a nook in that poisoned world, well, they'll eventually perpetuate it too, because that's what they're used to, and change can often be uncomfortable, especially if you're corrupt and won't personally benefit from changing it. Yes, I had to unpack that from what a Modern US Conservatism thinks is brilliant philosophy, but, well, that's how it unpacks in objective, observable reality.

I then said the word "strategy", and brought up Epstein.

Epstein used his wealth and connections to do terrible things, and used his connections to get in with rich and powerful people, and corrupt them so that they'd be forced to perpetuate it, because he has the dirt on all those people, and it sure as shit isn't going to help some pedophile to admit to being a pedophile with Epstein's help.

Why is that a good way of describing modern US Conservatism? Well, shit, I quoted a modern US Conservative who essentially admitted out loud that young people who get corrupted will disavow their principles and perpetuate that corruption because that's what they know. I mean, he fucking said it, not me. And then I compared it to how sex-trafficker and pedophile Epstein was able to just fly around raping children with almost unlimited immunity.

Don't worry though, I think Brock O'bummer wore a tan suit this week, AND put his god damn feet up on a table. So, go get enraged about that. Just ignore anything said here. I know you will.

He said she'll get ignored then you went off on this tangent and proclaimed it was exactly the same thing. Ignoring this girl is not the same thing as ignoring Epstein nor is Epstein representative of conservatives. You're not even ashamed of such desperate reaches and baseless attempts to relate things that are unrelated so that you can have clarity harping on evil conservatives... hence this follow-up post where you dig your heels in and double down on this nonsense to an almost comical level.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Because, while climate change DOES include global warming, it also encompasses all the changes and wild weather swings that come with it. More hurricanes and tornadoes, more severe storms, extreme snow and cold in some places, etc.

Jul 9, 2009
That's the exact strategy Epstein used on powerful people to continue sex trafficking children - get them to corrupt themselves, so that they're dependent on the corruption just to stay above water. Do that, and they'll eventually project that corruption on others to maintain the current status quo corruption.

Modern US Conservatism to a fucking T.

Holding a mirror up to a US Conservative is both fun, and terrifying.
and Greta is having yet another angst-filled tantrum.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
He said she'll get ignored then you went off on this tangent and proclaimed it was exactly the same thing. Ignoring this girl is not the same thing as ignoring Epstein nor is Epstein representative of conservatives. You're not even ashamed of such desperate reaches and baseless attempts to relate things that are unrelated so that you can have clarity harping on evil conservatives... hence this follow-up post where you dig your heels in and double down on this nonsense to an almost comical level.
He said that after the youth of today get corrupted by the dogshit that is current politics, they'll also be corrupt and further perpetuate something they know now is bad. Because they've been corrupted.

I mean, sure, you have to be able to read context, but there it is. Go re-read it, champ.

I did nothing but hold up a mirror to that dogshit, conservative argument.

The rest of your dogshit, conservative "reasoning" can be accurately represented as such:

wwwhhooooooosshhh

Thanks for giving me the chance to point out how fucking terrible modern US Conservatives are at words. Just like your hero, who has "all the best words".

Bless your heart.

Reactions: dank69

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
And ignoring them is part of being the American electorate. She’ll be ignored the same way the teenagers in Florida were in demanding gun control or any other number of causes the young gravitate towards. They have their entire lives ahead of them to get used to being disappointed before eventually being on the status quo side once they have careers, assets, and something to lose.

Wishful thinking on your part. Though it's not clear if you are talking about guns or climate at this point. Either way, if you believe younger generations will become pro-gun once they have careers and 'something to lose' you need to show your working. I am not aware of any evidence that people naturally develop a love of firearms as they age or increase their earnings or anything life-stage-related. You're just being intellectually lazy and using the 'people get conservative as they get older' cliche in areas where it doesn't apply.

Seems more likely the number of gun owners will continue it's slow decline as the US urbanises and looks less-and-less like a frontier society. A very slow effect, but not in the direction you seem to want.

If you mean climate change - that makes even less sense. As they get older the effects will become more pressing and more obvious. They already have something to lose, that's why they protest. I'ts coffin-dodging crumblies like many of the conservatives on this forum who have little to lose, as they won't be around long enough to see the effects of climate change.

You're welcome Greta, i'm glad to see you've calmed down a little.

I have no particular opinion about her either way, myself, but the one thing she clearly does bring to the party is the ability to get conservatives to make fools of themselves. Sneering and throwing abuse at a 16-year-old girl is rarely a good look.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I realize y'all aren't used to digesting words and phrases without thought leaders telling you what to think about it first, so I'll try to put it into bite-sized snippets of thought.

Person I quoted says that corruption eventually changes people so that they become corrupt (which, is actually the goal of corruption, to perpetuate itself for the benefit of the corrupter). In essence, right now young people don't want to poison the world they live in, because, well, they don't like poison. But, if they're forced to carve out a nook in that poisoned world, well, they'll eventually perpetuate it too, because that's what they're used to, and change can often be uncomfortable, especially if you're corrupt and won't personally benefit from changing it. Yes, I had to unpack that from what a Modern US Conservatism thinks is brilliant philosophy, but, well, that's how it unpacks in objective, observable reality.

I then said the word "strategy", and brought up Epstein.

Epstein used his wealth and connections to do terrible things, and used his connections to get in with rich and powerful people, and corrupt them so that they'd be forced to perpetuate it, because he has the dirt on all those people, and it sure as shit isn't going to help some pedophile to admit to being a pedophile with Epstein's help.

Why is that a good way of describing modern US Conservatism? Well, shit, I quoted a modern US Conservative who essentially admitted out loud that young people who get corrupted will disavow their principles and perpetuate that corruption because that's what they know. I mean, he fucking said it, not me. And then I compared it to how sex-trafficker and pedophile Epstein was able to just fly around raping children with almost unlimited immunity.

Don't worry though, I think Brock O'bummer wore a tan suit this week, AND put his god damn feet up on a table. So, go get enraged about that. Just ignore anything said here. I know you will.

It has nothing to do with "corruption" but rather actually having a financial stake in the game. Teenagers like Greta rely completely on their parents economically and thus have the luxury to advocate for whatever policies they want. Grown-ups with jobs, financial assets, and responsibility for others rapidly realize that radical solutions on environmentalism and such would completely destroy their lives since carbon-based energy still provides the backbone of modern economies. Promoting a juvenile philosophy like Greta's is akin to kids wishing they could just eat candy for every meal. Eventually technology will progress enough with advances in batteries, material science, etc. that a "carbon neutral" economy is possible without completely fvcking over the poor and middle class, right now it's more about giving tax subsidies for the rich to buy Teslas and add solar water heaters to their $4MM mansions and for progressives to practice virtue signalling.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
He said that after the youth of today get corrupted by the dogshit that is current politics, they'll also be corrupt and further perpetuate something they know now is bad. Because they've been corrupted.

I mean, sure, you have to be able to read context, but there it is. Go re-read it, champ.

I did nothing but hold up a mirror to that dogshit, conservative argument.

The rest of your dogshit, conservative "reasoning" can be accurately represented as such:

wwwhhooooooosshhh

Thanks for giving me the chance to point out how fucking terrible modern US Conservatives are at words. Just like your hero, who has "all the best words".

Bless your heart.
LOL! I know exactly what he said. I called you out for taking that off the deep end where you essentially end up concluding that conservatives = Jeffery Epstein. Similarly delusional conservatives would do the exact opposite and claim that Epstein = liberals (just as amusing).

There you go again. In your lust for clarity you've oversimplified... again. Trump isn't my hero. I voted in 2016 and I didn't vote for him. "Never Trump." OTOH, moderate Democrats did, and that's how he got elected. Imagine that!

I'm definitely a pro-immigration, pro-LGBTQ, anti-war, pro-freedom, anti drug-war, liberal... I just don't play your game by deluding myself about conservatives and I don't side with the far left on every issue (especially on the role of government). These days, that may as well mean I suck Trump's cock according to your type, which says more about your intolerance than anything.

"wwwhhooooooosshhh" indeed.

Ask yourself:
Just who's mind were you changing with your ridiculous conservatives = Epstein rant? Yeah, you're TOTALLY going to flip a conservative by relating him/her to Epstein in a nonsense reach like that. What a great point. He/She TOTALLY couldn't make the same logical leap to relate Epstein to perceived corruption on the political left. :rolleyes:

The "dogshit that is current politics" is a two-way street and a conservative will just say that you described the far left when you said "they'll also be corrupt and further perpetuate something they know now is bad." You first went off the rails when you equate corrupt politics purely with conservatism to suggest that children grow up and accept corruption purely from that side... even before you flailed around and tried to connect it to Epstein. Hilarious.

I first just tried to make you self conscious about it with my simple "Epstein = conservatives?!" post, boiling it down to a simple formula that questions your leap of logic. Now that you've doubled-down I say it deserves to be mocked for being a perfect example of a profoundly stupid and pointless self-deluding partisan rant with absolutely no valid point. Maybe it'll make someone else more self-conscious before they make a similarly embarrassing reach and unproductive rant. Thanks.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Because, while climate change DOES include global warming, it also encompasses all the changes and wild weather swings that come with it. More hurricanes and tornadoes, more severe storms, extreme snow and cold in some places, etc.

So... the "Global Warming" aspect of "Climate Change" is the absolute concrete science part. And while we can certainly expect weather changes as thermal balance is dramatically shifted, the direct attribution of any single weather event to Climate Change is murky at best. And a lack of hard evidence can help fuel opposition. And I know, I've been there. I know my former cohorts quite well. And the efforts employed to make denials are powerful, industrial even. The pause had many of us by the short hairs.

You are dealing with a public struggling with watching a thermometer rise, and ice melt. Making it even more complex is just asking to drop support.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
LOL! I know exactly what he said. I called you out for taking that off the deep end where you essentially end up concluding that conservatives = Jeffery Epstein. Similarly delusional conservatives would do the exact opposite and claim that Epstein = liberals (just as amusing).

There you go again. In your lust for clarity you've oversimplified... again. Trump isn't my hero. I voted in 2016 and I didn't vote for him. "Never Trump." OTOH, moderate Democrats did, and that's how he got elected. Imagine that!

I'm definitely a pro-immigration, pro-LGBTQ, anti-war, pro-freedom, anti drug-war, liberal... I just don't play your game by deluding myself about conservatives and I don't side with the far left on every issue (especially on the role of government). These days, that may as well mean I suck Trump's cock according to your type, which says more about your intolerance than anything.

"wwwhhooooooosshhh" indeed.

Ask yourself:
Just who's mind were you changing with your ridiculous conservatives = Epstein rant? Yeah, you're TOTALLY going to flip a conservative by relating him/her to Epstein in a nonsense reach like that. What a great point. He/She TOTALLY couldn't make the same logical leap to relate Epstein to perceived corruption on the political left. :rolleyes:

The "dogshit that is current politics" is a two-way street and a conservative will just say that you described the far left when you said "they'll also be corrupt and further perpetuate something they know now is bad." You first went off the rails when you equate corrupt politics purely with conservatism to suggest that children grow up and accept corruption purely from that side... even before you flailed around and tried to connect it to Epstein. Hilarious.

I first just tried to make you self conscious about it with my simple "Epstein = conservatives?!" post, boiling it down to a simple formula that questions your leap of logic. Now that you've doubled-down I say it deserves to be mocked for being a perfect example of a profoundly stupid and pointless self-deluding partisan rant with absolutely no valid point. Maybe it'll make someone else more self-conscious before they make a similarly embarrassing reach and unproductive rant. Thanks.
Whooosh, indeed,

Yes.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Whooosh, indeed,

Yes.
Ah, yes... because your post equating Epstein to conservatives was just so meaningful and insightful. Definitely not a delusional attempt to associate your political opponents with something nasty at all.

Should just stick to calling them Nazis if you're going to be this shameless about it. ;)

Last edited: