Why arent Climate Change protesters using the phrase 'Global Warming' instead?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes, I wonder why they haven't latched on to "crisis" more. Maybe it sounds too much like "Crysis"? :confused:

Crysis+1+Game+Full+Version+Free+Download+For+PC+2.jpeg

And thus gives the impression of a "climate Crysis" being about global cooling or something?
Since the UN conference on it (in NYC?) this last week I've heard the networks use the CRISIS word a fair amount. Great word for this situation. It's by far mankind's greatest challenge we're facing now. Everything else pales... wars, famine, the nuclear threats, racism, epidemics, you name it. Those other things we can survive. We may not survive this one, it's got us by the tail. If we can't respond, things will get very tough, maybe so tough we'll perish.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I already accurately answered the OP. They changed it so that now a heavy snow storm can be used as FUD for votes by the left. It is nothing more than that. "Climate change" allows the fudsters to make any weather event scary.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I already accurately answered the OP. They changed it so that now a heavy snow storm can be used as FUD for votes by the left. It is nothing more than that. "Climate change" allows the fudsters to make any weather event scary.
Get the fuck out of this thread, you shithead. Stop spreading misinformation.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
“Mitigating climate change” is about money when you remove the distractions. No one cares if their car runs on gasoline or fairy dust so long as they can still afford a car after you put in the regulations you seek.

Kinda weird argument when the whole story of climate change is that externalities actually do mater. Do something but make sure it doesn't cost more than this other thing which actually has enormous hidden costs that consumers don't see.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
It is true that it is misinformation. You are dealing in that exclusively. You are a weird case.

Here is a good case of misinformation. Just read the comments in the conversation section to see how easy it is to fool idiots.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Here is a good case of misinformation. Just read the comments in the conversation section to see how easy it is to fool idiots.

the writer of that article...

lmao

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Wow, that's... uh, a thing. Just all of it.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
the moniker 'Climate Change' was created by those that wanted to minimize the issue.

Why isn't Global Warming used anymore, even by protesters?

"Climate Change" is a scientifically more accurate description.

It's kind of like this...
1572460181381.png

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
the writer of that article...

lmao
tech-savvy financial journalist lol, that is awesome. He didn't lie just used a very misleading headline and let the idiots do what they do best.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Kinda weird argument when the whole story of climate change is that externalities actually do mater. Do something but make sure it doesn't cost more than this other thing which actually has enormous hidden costs that consumers don't see.
the hidden bogeyman no one sees and be created as needed, the externalities.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
In addition to No. California's fires today, Antelope Valley is burning with hurricane-force winds, threatening the Reagan presidential library. The air here in Riverside "seemed" clear as I looked toward the San Berdoo Mountains, but you could smell the smoke. Macabre humor, but I went into a pharmacy today and sang that line from the Christmas tune "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire . . . " There were plenty of chuckles.

About ten years ago, the Times published a global map showing temperatures in areas across the world for that day. Just about everywhere, the temperatures were well above historical averages, but for two places: spots covering Santiago, Chile and So. California -- where temperatures were below the historical averages. I tried to explain statistics to my brother -- a dyed-in-the-wool Tea-Party adherent and now Trumper, but he would have none of it. "Nope! No global warming! No climate change! Because . . . it's colder here today than normal."

With this millstone of ignorance around our collective necks, I doubt that we'll solve this problem before it is too late. And it doesn't matter whether you're on the verge of hypothermia in a midwestern blizzard or fleeing from a canyon fire in the west. The phenomenon is about extremes brought on by a shift in global average temperature.

Reactions: pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'd be fine with allowing your side to do whatever you wanted to fight climate change *IF* we could make some kind of binding agreement that you couldn't increase social welfare spending or taxes to cover up the pain and economic disruption you cause.

Weird use of language. "Cover up"? You mean "more fairly allocate". Also, I note you completely discount the pain and economic disruption that will be caused by _not_ doing anything about climate change.

the hidden bogeyman no one sees and be created as needed, the externalities.

What is this nonsense? You need to read more.