why are vehicles made that can exceed the speed limit?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: AntaresVI
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
where did you find an 85 mph speed limit?

Out here in the Mojave Desert there are a couple of places where you see signs that say:
"End 75" and thats it. Not any other signs telling you what speed you CAN drive at.

in PA anyway there's a law such that if you see an "end XX" sign, the limit automatically becomes the standard state limit of 55. Is there no such law out there?

I doubt they care a whole lot in the Mojave Desert.

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
If car makers had to make cars that could only go 55 or 65, than the whole sport car market would die, along with the SUV market ( why by the V8 when the 6 will do the same ) although not to such a great extent because of towing and what not. Bottom line is that the Auto Lobby >>>>> Any one bitching because someone was killed by a speeding car.

Money talks

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If car makers had to make cars that could only go 55 or 65, than the whole sport car market would die, along with the SUV market ( why by the V8 when the 6 will do the same ) although not to such a great extent because of towing and what not. Bottom line is that the Auto Lobby >>>>> Any one bitching because someone was killed by a speeding car.

In the utility market, V8's and v10's are for towing/hauling.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: jfall
I rarely ever see any place that the allowable speed limit is over 85. If speeding is such a concern, why are auto makers allowed to produce vehicles which can knowingly be used to break the law?

to justify your virginity? :confused:

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: shortylickens

In the utility market, V8's and v10's are for towing/hauling.

Yes but how many people that have the big v8 in their explorer have actually ever towed anything, I'd guess its under 50%, as a lot people that drive SUV's are soccer moms and/or working men who don't have boats/jetski's to tow around. A lot of it is just power

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I rarely ever see any place that the allowable speed limit is over 85. If speeding is such a concern, why are auto makers allowed to produce vehicles which can knowingly be used to break the law?

Or use so much gas???

again, it's stupid to legislate when the market and demand can regulate. If there's a big enough demand, slower/more efficient cars will be produced. See the rise of Japanese manufacturers after the 70's oil crisis.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: dug777
It's actually quite an important safety aspect to have a decent top end (ever had a moment of overtaking crisis that you only got out of by speeding, say half way down the side of a 40m roadtrain?)

And don't so that you shouldn't have been overtaking, we all know this happens fairly regularly to most people who drive on roads that aren't 4 lanes plus (like 99% or raods in Australia for example)...

i'm bumping my comment FTW :p

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Or use so much gas???

again, it's stupid to legislate when the market and demand can regulate. If there's a big enough demand, slower/more efficient cars will be produced. See the rise of Japanese manufacturers after the 70's oil crisis.[/q]

What crisis? If it was a crisis how come there is still oil???

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Because the torque curve never reaches peak efficiency at the high end.

A better question is not why they make them faster, but why they don't limit them

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001

Or use so much gas???

again, it's stupid to legislate when the market and demand can regulate. If there's a big enough demand, slower/more efficient cars will be produced. See the rise of Japanese manufacturers after the 70's oil crisis.[/q]

What crisis? If it was a crisis how come there is still oil???

Way to stay on-topic. We don't need your P&N trash here. If you really need a reference, check here

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Because the torque curve never reaches peak efficiency at the high end.

A better question is not why they make them faster, but why they don't limit them

:confused: what does that have to do with the price of tea in china, or indeed this thread?

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002

Why don't you just move to the UK?

GPS tech to rein in UK's speeding motorists
Plans are underway to use a satellite-based system to stop motorists from speeding following the conclusion of government-backed trials of the technology in Leeds. The speed limiting technology works by applying brakes or cutting out the accelerator in modified cars whenever a driver tries to exceed to limit for a particular stretch of road.

You'll also have the added benefit of 50,000 government cameras to watch your every move and make sure you don't get a booboo.

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: klah

Why don't you just move to the UK?

GPS tech to rein in UK's speeding motorists
Plans are underway to use a satellite-based system to stop motorists from speeding following the conclusion of government-backed trials of the technology in Leeds. The speed limiting technology works by applying brakes or cutting out the accelerator in modified cars whenever a driver tries to exceed to limit for a particular stretch of road.

You'll also have the added benefit of 50,000 government cameras to watch your every move and make sure you don't get a booboo.

Damn, that's hardcore

Codegen

Banned
Jul 25, 2005
Well, around here the speed limit is 100kph. The cops will let you do 120 (and if they're really nice 130).

D

Deleted member 4644

It's actually quite an important safety aspect to have a decent top end (ever had a moment of overtaking crisis that you only got out of by speeding, say half way down the side of a 40m roadtrain?)

And don't so that you shouldn't have been overtaking, we all know this happens fairly regularly to most people who drive on roads that aren't 4 lanes plus (like 99% or raods in Australia for example)...

i'm bumping my comment FTW :p

I agree with your comment as being an important part of why cars are allowed to go 100+

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002

And the UK is already getting rid of that kind of crap, why? Because they've already found a strong positive correlation between the # of speed catching cameras added and increased fatality rates.

The whole idea of slow=safe is a myth propagated by our corrupt government as an excuse to levy a tax on speed. If vehicles weren't able to exceed the limit, they wouldn't be able to collect that tax. The limits are all kept stupidly low for taxation purposes.

Also, as stated above, a more powerful engine capable of going well above the limit is needed so that you will have decent pickup and be able to overtake people safely. Or go up a hill.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Why do they put 100 car parking lots at bars? Do they expect 100 designated drivers to show up?