why are vehicles made that can exceed the speed limit?

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
I rarely ever see any place that the allowable speed limit is over 85. If speeding is such a concern, why are auto makers allowed to produce vehicles which can knowingly be used to break the law?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Because cars are made in countries where laws may vary from other countries. They can even vary state to state.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Remember that tiny little road in Germany? You may not have heard of it or anything, but cars routinely travel in excess of 85 MPH.

And even if domestic automakers did this, how could they market to say Canada or whatever other country interested in our cars?

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jfall
I rarely ever see any place that the allowable speed limit is over 85. If speeding is such a concern, why are auto makers allowed to produce vehicles which can knowingly be used to break the law?

Why is this something that should be legislated? Make the (current) law, allow cars to be produced however the manufacturer wants to produce them, and if the owner breaks the law, they suffer the consequences. If the market on the whole wants speed-limited cars, then manufacturers will make them. Since there is no demand for such a thing, there is no production of such a thing (although in reality many cars are in fact limited, but not to the extent that you suggest). Let the market decide, not some nanny state.

edit: clarification

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: AntaresVI

Why is this something that should be legislated? Make the law, allow cars to be produced however the manufacturer wants to produce them, and if the owner breaks the law, they suffer the consequences. If the market on the whole wants speed-limited cars, then manufacturers will make them. Since there is no demand for such a thing, there is no production of such a thing (although in reality many cars are in fact limited, but not to the extent that you suggest). Let the market decide, not some nanny state.

Don't pretty much all cars made in the last like 15 years have governors (sp?)?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
car manufacturers don't and shouldn't play the role of policeman. You can kill or injure yourself/others with a knife, rope or even a pool but they don't build idiot guards into them.

Bozono

Banned
Aug 17, 2005
Many cars have governers that limit top speed(180km or so).
EDIT - already stated- plus, can't you do whatever speed you want to in Montana?

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
I'm not saying it should happen, that would honestly suck. But with all the accidents and dumb drivers these days I'm surprised that something like this hasn't happened

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: aplefka

Why is this something that should be legislated? Make the law, allow cars to be produced however the manufacturer wants to produce them, and if the owner breaks the law, they suffer the consequences. If the market on the whole wants speed-limited cars, then manufacturers will make them. Since there is no demand for such a thing, there is no production of such a thing (although in reality many cars are in fact limited, but not to the extent that you suggest). Let the market decide, not some nanny state.

yes, but my point there was to say that none of those cars were limited because of legality issues, as the OP proposes

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000

yes, but my point there was to say that none of those cars were limited because of legality issues, as the OP proposes

What other reasons are there for governers?

Is there any place in all of America that has a speed limit over 100?

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001

safety. After a certain point cars can either go too fast for their tires or exceed aerodynamic safety limits. It still boils down to the manufacturer not installing it to conform to an artificial speed limit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
where did you find an 85 mph speed limit?

Out here in the Mojave Desert there are a couple of places where you see signs that say:
"End 75" and thats it. Not any other signs telling you what speed you CAN drive at.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Unavoidable speed limiting is a form of black & white justice (which I can't understand). Should a few teenagers' speed addictions be curtailed while a man loses his daughter to blood loss on the way to the hospital?

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
where did you find an 85 mph speed limit?

Out here in the Mojave Desert there are a couple of places where you see signs that say:
"End 75" and thats it. Not any other signs telling you what speed you CAN drive at.

in PA anyway there's a law such that if you see an "end XX" sign, the limit automatically becomes the standard state limit of 55. Is there no such law out there?

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
It's actually quite an important safety aspect to have a decent top end (ever had a moment of overtaking crisis that you only got out of by speeding, say half way down the side of a 40m roadtrain?)

And don't so that you shouldn't have been overtaking, we all know this happens fairly regularly to most people who drive on roads that aren't 4 lanes plus (like 99% or raods in Australia for example)...

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

safety. After a certain point cars can either go too fast for their tires or exceed aerodynamic safety limits. It still boils down to the manufacturer not installing it to conform to an artificial speed limit.

Hmm... I wonder how one could find this limit without having to figure it out the hard way? Not that I know of anyone who tampered with the governer or the restricter plate (2 pts for naming the reference) in their car.

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
If car makers had to make cars that could only go 55 or 65, than the whole sport car market would die, along with the SUV market ( why by the V8 when the 6 will do the same ) although not to such a great extent because of towing and what not. Bottom line is that the Auto Lobby >>>>> Any one bitching because someone was killed by a speeding car.