Why are Most People Still Recommending the 4870?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

I'm not going to launch a personal attach here, but as an Nvidia Focus Group member, anything nRollo says should be taken as biased at best and completely disregarded at worst.

I am definitely liking my 4870's incredible performance. ATI cards have always been more reliable for me than Nvidia's products.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Bateluer

I'm not going to launch a personal attach here, but as an Nvidia Focus Group member, anything nRollo says should be taken as biased at best and completely disregarded at worst.

I am definitely liking my 4870's incredible performance. ATI cards have always been more reliable for me than Nvidia's products.

I think if you are going to question the information I posted you should post links to benchmarks that refute the benchmarks I link to and show a HD4870 is a better deal.

Or link to better ATi OEM vendor features than the NVIDIA ones I referred to.

Or tell us why you don't think PhysX will matter for the life of the card.

Saying I get free video cards and shouldn't be trusted doesn't mean much if you can't prove there is anything untrue in what I've said. :):beer:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Bateluer

As an Nvidia and AMD/ATI user I have to say everytime I go back to AMD/ATI the 2D image quality at desktop is always better with my AMD/ATI for some reason(I always use DVI mode) the 4870 really impressed me with the crispness of the 2D display etc...

Some people make a big deal out of brands etc,personally I'm happy with the AMD/ATI partners ,warranty wise I have never had to send a card back(from both sides),all my cards have either been upgraded within warranty period(within 3 years) or are still going strong( they are working still in some old PCs of mine) ie my Sapphire 9700 card and even a Leadtek GF2 card(on the Nvidia to make it fair).

I still feel the 4870 card is an excellent card,do I regret buying it as an ex-Nvidia user beforehand?.....why should I since it does everything I want and more.

As to PhysX it was not a factor for me,I'm personally going to wait and see what developments,down the road when I upgrade my card again the picture will be a lot clearer.

Anotherthing which may be important to some ,please check the 260 will fit in your case,in my situation it would of been blocking one of my IDE cables that I use for my DVD drives,thankfully the 4870 was just about ok.
Last but not least yes I do like the official monthly updates by AMD/ATI,I did get tired waiting for the official updates by Nvidia.

This is my 2 cents for what its worth.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin

Finally, Rollo .. you can cherrypick other sites to get the 4870 winning in most of their benches. All i was doing was showing the performance increase by O/C'ing my OWN Sapphy 4870. i am sure we will see AMD's partners bring out their own Extreme OC'd 4870. There was NO NEED until Nvidia O/C'd the 260 :p

yes, warrantied is a word

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/warrantied
3. a written guarantee given to the purchaser of a new appliance, automobile, or other item by the manufacturer or dealer, usually specifying that the manufacturer will make any repairs or replace defective parts free of charge for a stated period of time.
i was confused as it could fit

My Box says it is OK .. see what i quoted; that would be simple OC, i do not reasonably think they would cover aftermarket cooling, volt-modding or another bios

Yes, AMD needs more OC'ing partners agreed. And perhaps when they make some money they can improve on their warranties. i would use my Gold or Platinum Credit Card to extend the manufacturer's warranty for an additional year - if i cared.

Yes, i am certain you think the 260 is the better card. i haven't got my hands on one to compare with my 4870 yet. So i cannot say for certain other than to say i am not missing out on ANYTHING .. and 8xAA is nice, i can attest to that =)

it is no slam dunk either way
imo

I'll give you the "warrantied" dude, because I honestly thought you were right when I first saw your post, apparently both are correct.

My point was "Can you post links to reviews of GTX260s with the 650(+) core/22009+) RAM that show the HD4870 winning most benches? I doubt it- there were some good sized margins in the review I linked to and the factory OCd 260s look like a steal to me.

As the question at hand is "Why are people still recommending HD4870s", my answer is "I don't know why they would given the new pricing, factory OCs, vendor features, PhysX, and double the RAM.

(and vendor features are a VERY big deal- if you post your card on EBay and it has a lifetime warranty to the guy you sell to- it's worth more, sells first)

You and I have discussed this at length- the vendor features, warranty was the first thing to go when ATi started losing money years ago.

Anyway, time to go outside, have a good day dude.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nRollo

Finally, Rollo .. you can cherrypick other sites to get the 4870 winning in most of their benches. All i was doing was showing the performance increase by O/C'ing my OWN Sapphy 4870. i am sure we will see AMD's partners bring out their own Extreme OC'd 4870. There was NO NEED until Nvidia O/C'd the 260 :p

yes, warrantied is a word

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/warrantied
3. a written guarantee given to the purchaser of a new appliance, automobile, or other item by the manufacturer or dealer, usually specifying that the manufacturer will make any repairs or replace defective parts free of charge for a stated period of time.
i was confused as it could fit

My Box says it is OK .. see what i quoted; that would be simple OC, i do not reasonably think they would cover aftermarket cooling, volt-modding or another bios

Yes, AMD needs more OC'ing partners agreed. And perhaps when they make some money they can improve on their warranties. i would use my Gold or Platinum Credit Card to extend the manufacturer's warranty for an additional year - if i cared.

Yes, i am certain you think the 260 is the better card. i haven't got my hands on one to compare with my 4870 yet. So i cannot say for certain other than to say i am not missing out on ANYTHING .. and 8xAA is nice, i can attest to that =)

it is no slam dunk either way
imo

I'll give you the "warrantied" dude, because I honestly thought you were right when I first saw your post, apparently both are correct.

My point was "Can you post links to reviews of GTX260s with the 650(+) core/22009+) RAM that show the HD4870 winning most benches? I doubt it- there were some good sized margins in the review I linked to and the factory OCd 260s look like a steal to me.

As the question at hand is "Why are people still recommending HD4870s", my answer is "I don't know why they would given the new pricing, factory OCs, vendor features, PhysX, and double the RAM.

(and vendor features are a VERY big deal- if you post your card on EBay and it has a lifetime warranty to the guy you sell to- it's worth more, sells first)

You and I have discussed this at length- the vendor features, warranty was the first thing to go when ATi started losing money years ago.

Anyway, time to go outside, have a good day dude.

Can i post reviews with 4870 winning against an OC'd GT260? Of course not. We don't have any factory OC'd 4870s yet.:p

in this one, 4870 comes close to the OC'd GT

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/590/11

if the 4870 were also O/C'd then we would likely see it beating the OC'd 260.

So for the moment, you can PAY MORE for a factory oc'd version of 260 and have faster than the stock 260 or 4870. Or you can chance it yourself like i did with my 4870 or a stock 260 and get some nice results - or perhaps you will fail at OC'ing it.

Many of the "lifetime" warranties do not transfer, so that is moot when reselling the card. i never had a buyer once ask me about warranty [i don't remember, actually] and i have sold many Video cards. And if i felt a year or two was not enough for myself, i'd buy it with AMEX or a premium CC that adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty.
- at any rate, i exchange defective cards thru NewEgg for a year and sell them before it is up. Usually. So warranty is a non issue for me

it is beautiful in SoCal today. No earthquakes either
:sun:

enjoy your day. i have an article to finish.
rose.gif

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Can i post reviews with 4870 winning against an OC'd GT260? Of course not.
Then why do you keep arguing?

So for the moment, you can PAY MORE for a factory oc'd version of 260 and have faster than the stock 260 or 4870.
Mine was $225.

Here's one for $245
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814127361

How much more do you have to pay for a slower 4870?

Many of the "lifetime" warranties do not transfer, so that is moot when reselling the card

NVIDIA partner XFX has a transferable one, do any of the ATI partners?

airhendrix13

Oct 15, 2006
Originally posted by: btdvox
^^^ Haha! I actually cut the trolling part out- after I read the whole thread- I only read the first post - :) Ive learnt to read on before "judging" trolling or not!

But I dont know what the 4870's OC is, but im prob the one trolling right now, but after reading all the news from nvidia, I just think its a bad idea for people to buy there new card such at the GT200 55nm refresh since they announced it like a month ago and are releasing it in sept...

A rushed product is a bad product I just wished they would learn that by now!

I love the 8800's; They are the new ATI 9800's. It lasted me 2 years no issues (and I am a FPS Hog!)

as I said before, I consider myself a Nvidia fanboy and have prob trolled on ATI before.

Its just sucks whats happened- Losses look like over 300 Mil to Nvidia with there Laptop and 790i issues :(.

I have now fully tried out the Physx mod pack and htought some of the demos were cool, Its great that this softwares free, but for actual gaming- Physx meant nothing before really to people (even users that had the PPU) and I dont think that will change unless it goes over to both ati and intel gpus (though intel integrated couldnt handle it).

Frankly I thought UT3 Physx was the worst though, I found alot of physics "fake and unrealistic"
Like HDR was at the start (BLOOM HERE and there! haha)

Anyways sorry about the whole troll message- If you see the edit- you can see I deleted quite at the same time you posted LOL!!

Lol I'm glad you read through the whole thread!

The truth about PhysX is, we still don't know how gaming developers will implement it. It sounds like Nvidia will be releasing a PhysX pack every month for an unknown amount of time. So basically, although the idea is really cool and IMO adds some really cool depth, it still hasn't really developed beyond the "tech demo" status yet.

Apparently Nvidia is working with ATI to port PhysX over to them. If this happens, that could be a huge deal as it will be very much more likely that PhysX will be here to stay.

No worries about the troll thing either ;)

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
the 4870 and 260 are so close really, it basically depends on what is your favorite game and if you prefer vaporware version 1.0 or 1.1 (physx or dx10.1) , or if you like other things like the slightly less power usage of the 260 or if you like the rear full hdmi out of the ati. crossfire seems to scale better with ati, nvidia seems to have some better board partners, etc, etc.

the nvidia people get awfully defensive cause their hero is stumbling big time. they should be thanking ati daily for bringing us these more reasonable prices with a solid product. they would be paying over a hundred bucks more for a 260 if it wasnt for ati's obviously inferior product.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Wreckage

So for the moment, you can PAY MORE for a factory oc'd version of 260 and have faster than the stock 260 or 4870.
Mine was $225.

Here's one for $245

Many of the "lifetime" warranties do not transfer, so that is moot when reselling the card

Nope but I would never buy a used video card anyway, would you?

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: solofly

Nope but I would never buy a used video card anyway, would you?

I buy and sell used computer parts all the time, including video cards.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
I sell used stuff but I never buy any, not computer parts at least. Would never trust it with all the overclocking/abuse going on everywhere...

mooothecow

Feb 18, 2008

Mine was $225.

Here's one for $245

However, XFX doesn't cover overclocking in their lifetime. And you have to register in 30 days of purchase or you lose out on it. EVGA's lifetime warranty covers overclocking, but no transfer option present. If one them choose to adopt the other's policy, then I'm pretty sure they could steamroll the other.

Mine was $225.

Here's one for $245

MSI only does a 1 year warranty. That's why it's cheaper.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Mine was $225.

Here's one for $245

You found one Nvidia partner?

good job ... let's all buy XFX
:roll:

there are no reviews with highly O/C'd 4870s that i am aware of; i do know how fast my own is however and can do the math - mine isn't slower than ANY oc'd 260.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
I sell used stuff but I never buy any, not computer parts at least. Would never trust it with all the overclocking/abuse going on everywhere...

That's kind of the point.

If you buy a used XFX card that has any problems you can return it and get a brand new card.

No other vendor offers this.

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007
I've just read a couple of comments here and what I have to ask is who pays extra for factory OC'd cards when you can just OC them yourself. It's just stupidity.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: nRollo

That's kind of the point.

If you buy a used XFX card that has any problems you can return it and get a brand new card.

No other vendor offers this.

yes, that is why i favor XFX. I only got that eVGA 260 SC because it was so cheap at the time.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Scoop
I've just read a couple of comments here and what I have to ask is who pays extra for factory OC'd cards when you can just OC them yourself. It's just stupidity.

1. OCing is always YMMV. Buying products off the shelf is "you get this speed or they replace it".

2. With many vendors, OCing voids your warranty.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
As nRollo said, I tend to buy factory-overclocked card because you are certain of the speed and you remain under warranty.

that is a good way to do it as long as you remember that you usually pay a premium for the O/C'd card over a stock one. Usually. =P

i prefer to work without the extra "insurance" as i usually do not OC my GPUs like i do my CPUs; that said, it is cool to note that Sapphire evidently now condones o/c'ing for 4870.

You also need to realize that even factory O/C'd cards do fail - at perhaps a higher rate than stock ones and even though it is covered by warranty, it still costs you money to RMA and you lose time and are inconvenienced.

the member who is getting my 2900pro that was O/C'd to XT is getting a good deal as it never - ever - got hot; nothing close to my 2900xt at stock speeds. i have full confidence it will serve him very well

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
As nRollo said, I tend to buy factory-overclocked card because you are certain of the speed and you remain under warranty.

Even with that, I wouldn't feel very confident of it, HIS with his pre overclocked ICEQ 3 X1950 PRO which started to fail prematurely and forced them to do a second revision, or those many 7900GT OC that are dying like if they're made of butter (Even at stock they love to fail). Even if it's under warranty, the fact that there's no way to prove 100% that the core will not fail under such overclock, the hassle of getting an RMA and the waiting process sucks.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
they would be paying over a hundred bucks more for a 260 if it wasnt for ati's obviously inferior product.

Or $200 more if you look at original MSRP.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
the nvidia people get awfully defensive cause their hero is stumbling big time. they should be thanking ati daily for bringing us these more reasonable prices with a solid product. they would be paying over a hundred bucks more for a 260 if it wasnt for ati's obviously inferior product

If that was the case nvidia wouldn't have cut the price down by 50%.
The GTX260 came out at 450$. I thought that price was laughable, the only reason I got mine is cause it cost me 225$ for an OC version from eVGA (class A merchant) with free 3 shipping and no tax, which is less then any 4870 sells for. They each have their pluses and minuses, but if people were actually buying them at 450$ a pop then they would have NEVER made that price cut.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

How many ATI partners did you find? :laugh:

How many with a step up program or support a 3rd party HS/F

there are no reviews with highly O/C'd 4870s that i am aware of; i do know how fast my own is however and can do the math - mine isn't slower than ANY oc'd 260.

Somehow I'm betting you failed math.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

How many ATI partners did you find? :laugh:

How many with a step up program or support a 3rd party HS/F

Somehow I'm betting you failed math.

is this another of your call out posts?
- where you are rude and insulting just because you can get away with it?

there is nothing of substance for me to reply to