Why are Canadians so patriotic and happy aboot (:P) promoting their country?

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm beginning to wonder why I see that "I am Canadian" expression everywhere....why is it that Canadians like to think they're so good and that their country is above others? It's my impressions that they do think this way, and I really can't see why this is......Canada is a somewhat large country often mixed up with the USA, they're not particular popular like the USA is, and I just don't understand why Canadians have this "we're the best"-mentality.

This isn't a flaming, I'm interested in hearing why this is.

EDIT: changed topic - oops, it's "aboot", not "abuot" :p

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I have nothing against canadians, I just wish they wouldn't be tempting all of our scared ass boys to run from the draft. Oh that was a long time ago. Nevermind.

JPT

Jan 23, 2000
Look who's talking! Americans are the most self-centric country I have ever been in! Apart from that americans think their country is the greatest in anything without even bothering to do a little research around the world...
I am not saying US is not good, it is just too confident on being 'the best'...

(If you are not american sorry about this post...)

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm from Denmark, Europe, and if there's a country in the world who doesn't think much of themselves, it's us :p but, we have a tradition for not liking people who think too much of themselves, perhaps some of you have heard of the "Jante-lov".....

JPT

Jan 23, 2000
Sorry about that, then...
But I think the 'I am Canadian' is to show that Canada is proud of being Canada, even thou americans like to poke fun at them...

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Americans don't like to poke fun at us. They barely notice we exist. I've been living in the US for close to ten years now. Over 80% of the Americans (meaning from the US vs. North Americans) don't know what the capital of Canada is.

I really love it down here (I live in the US), but it took a little getting used to, the fact that most barely knew the country I'm from exists.

Michael

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I am Canadian. I don't have a "I'm the best because I am Canadian" mentality. I'm a proud Canadian, yes - but I don't think me or my country is "so much better", etc.

-RSI
I am Canadian, eh :)

PS: It's ABOUT, NOT ABOOT, I don't know where the F&CK you get ABOOT from!!

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Well, I'm a canadian. Its quite amazing how our little country(just a huge back yard), with only 27 million people (total population) can get the rest of the world to notice us.

We are definately proud of being canadian. The sole reason is that our country is very diverse, with the most number of ethnic multi- racial backgrounds. Other than the fact that we are canadian citizens, none of us are remotely the same. Our country is racism free, beautiful, technologically advanced, peaceful and most importantly its my home. I'm proud of my country, this in no means to step on other countries, I'm sure one of my neighbours can speak your language ;)

BTW, we aren't patriotic, that term is for the americans ;)

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
hehe that "aboot" thing is something the Eastern Canadians say, I believe

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Aboot? No way, I'm Eastern. Some of the southern americans pronouce it that way. Its ABOUT.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
People from the Maritime provinces do pronounce it "aboot". Not all of them, but it is somewhat common. All Canadians being branded with it is like assuming that the dialect in Maine is the one dialect for all of the US.

Anyone who thinks that there is no racism in Canada is dreaming. I agree that it is less than many other places, but it still exists.

Michael

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Well from where I come from (Toronto). All people are respected no matter of colour, language, culture, how they smell, or how they dress. Each and every individual is equal. Racism is a WORLD problem(one country isn't enough to rid it), but I do think Canadians are a step forward from the rest of the world.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Trust me, Toronto is not racism free. I can guarantee you that if you looked at studies of income parity, you'll see that caucasions are by far higher (as are men over women).

I'm not sure what ethnic background you are (I'm white), but if you spend time with other ethnicities and talk to them about it, you'll be surprised.

Canadians as a whole do value diversity and there are a ton of good things about it, but Canada is not perfect.

I grew up in Montreal. Lots of English/French tension.

Michael

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Over 80% of the Americans (meaning from the US vs. North Americans) don't know what the capital of Canada is. >>

Of course we know; the capitol of Canada is C.

BillyD

Jul 1, 2000
I'm American, I'm proud of my country. I wouldn't say it's the best because I haven't visited any others, so how do I know it's the best, right?

I think Canadians are cool, I know lots of em, none of them seem to have a &quot;My country is better than your's attitude.&quot;

I want to know why some Americans just totally hate Canada and vice versa.

I really want to go to Canadia (;)) one day, see some of the country side :)

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Actually I'm asian, and I can assure you that having a different ethnic background does not set you apart from having white collar jobs. I see numerous ethnicities in many professional jobs.

I'm not saying Canada is perfect, there are many things that need changing in this country, but without a doubt we're moving forward.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
&quot;I'm beginning to wonder why I see that &quot;I am Canadian&quot; expression everywhere.&quot;

I'm beginning to wonder why you post so much drivel. God sakes man, judging by the time and number of your posts, you seriously need to take a break from the computer. Read a book, take a walk, take in a movie; do something besides hang around Anandtech messageboards all day.

&quot;they're not particular popular like the USA.&quot;

LOL. Yeah sure. The USA is such a &quot;popular&quot; country that many Americans are scared stiff to travel to other countries for fear of retaliation. However Canadians proudly sew a emblem of their national flag on the backs of their backpacks.

&quot;and I just don't understand why Canadians have this &quot;we're the best&quot;-mentality.&quot;

It's called pride Prodigy. National pride. Canadians have a lot of things to be thankful for. Many things in which Americans can not same the same for.

And for your information, the &quot;I am Canadian&quot; expression started out as a marketing advertisement for Molson Canadian beer. It's not about Canadians being better than anyone else.

I might ask: What's with the posting of your System specs as a signature? Isn't that kind of lame? I mean really, what is the point of that?

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000

<< What's with the posting of your System specs as a signature? Isn't that kind of lame? I mean really, what is the point of that? >>

Well, I do it is because I'm a overclocker. Some people may ask of my system specs to help them achieve the same thing. Its not lame, its pretty much the norm in the OC forum and Case &amp; cooling forum.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Rudee you're a &quot;Member&quot;. Meaning you have less than 200 posts here......I doubt you've read over 1% of my 1850 posts, so stop saying I post crap.

You say I spend too much time here. Why don't you say that to the people who have way more posts than I? the worst excuse for accusing people on a forum is by saying &quot;you need to get away from this place&quot;. It's my choice to sit and enjoy all the people on this forum, help people with hardware forums, and talk in OT. Nothing for you to care about.

the system specs are very convenient because it's a drag having to write them every time you have a hardware problem. heck, just when saying &quot;yeah, I get that problem too&quot; or something, it's a help that people are able to say &quot;aah, he's got Win98SE....&quot; or similar.

buddmann

May 11, 2000
Well,I'm Canadian and proud of it ,for the most part,anyways.
I feel that I can travel anywhere in the world and that I would be welcome.
Besides who elsewould want to take over our Country and live in Igloos and wrestle with polar bears in -40C weather;)
The fishing and hunting are great if you can fight off the mosquitoes before they carry you away.
Overall,I would have to say that I enjoy living here and meeting other people from abroad also.:):):)

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Canada has been established by the U.N. as the #1 country to live in, in the entire world 7 years straight. It took into consideration many factors including financial and social characteristics.

I don't have anything against Americans, but a lot of other people overseas do. It's very common for Canadians to be confused as Americans, hence the reason a lot of Canadians travelling in Europe stick a Canadian flag patch on their back-packs and such.

My brother once went to Amsterdam by train while travelling across Europe and he met two guys who let him stay at their place, and they got to know eachother on the train simply because my brother was Canadian. It's a little known fact that Canadians were some tough soldiers who liberated quite a few places in Europe during WWII and those people haven't forgotten the generosity of the Canadians.

Canadians are only outwardly patriotic though - as in, only patriotic when in the presence of non-Canadians. I'm pretty sure we've got this &quot;little brother&quot; complex where we simply want to get noticed by our &quot;big brother&quot; to the south.

Little known fact that should stir some interest on these boards. In 1812, the U.S. and Canada (then a British territory) went to war. Conflicts occured in many places including Toronto (then known as York). Guess what...the U.S. lost! That's my patriotic tidbit of info for today.

-GL