Who's who in power supplies... nowadays?

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
Many people say that we can trust power supplies made by brand "A" because they are OEM from the trusted brand "B" (even if they're not manufactured with the very same top-notch components used by brand "B" in their own units).

But it is also said that some PSU are not made, only designed by brand "B".

My only reference is this subject is this article: Who's Who In Power Supplies. However, it is about to complete 4 years without updates.

I'll need to replace some old PSUs this year. Among the affordable brands I can find in my country, XFX seems to be a safe bet because Seasonic is the OEM of ALL their units. According the article above, that was true until January 23, 2013.

It may be a silly question, but... I'd like to know if Seasonic remains the OEM of all XFX units nowadays. Thanks.

update

I have found some good information here.

Last edited:

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
If they are available in your country the EVGA G1 series is quality and affordable. Like 80 dollars for 650 watt 80+ gold 10 year warranty full modular 4x 6+2 pci-e

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I still stand by what is only a rule-of-thumb based on old reviews and experience: I buy Seasonics, or I consider brands like XFX if it's a rebadged Seasonic. There are other "good power supplies," and we know that.

There are other rules-of-thumb. While the warranty-period of some parts may not be a reliable indicator, it seems that the warranty for PSUs is more so. a 5-year, 7-year or 10-year warranty-period tells you something.

Then there's the "weight and heft" of a PSU. Supposedly, the heavier the PSU, the more likely it's a good one.

The ultimate rule-of-thumb: Never waste your money on a cheap PSU for a new system. This is similar to "a poor man cannot afford a cheap suit." A reliable computer cannot afford a cheap PSU.

But a good bargain is a good bargain.

Reactions: twelfth

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
@Laststop311: In my country you can find two kinds of PSUs: the bad ones and the expensive ones. No sign of EVGA G1 or G2, only lesser models.

@mikeymikec: Thanks, bookmarked. :)

@BonzaiDuck: I guess I know what you mean. Two days ago I replaced the old PSU of my main machine with a Gold Seasonic. But some honest XFX should be enough for the remaining machines...

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
OP, lookup specific models at Jonnyguru or other forums.
Easiest way to tell what platform a PSU uses and/or who designed/manufactured it.

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
OP, lookup specific models at Jonnyguru or other forums.
Easiest way to tell what platform a PSU uses and/or who designed/manufactured it.
jG is an extraordinary source, along with hardwaresecrets and some other good sites. However, jG rarely mentions the actual manufacturer in his reviews. I need a quick, broad, updated reference like the database posted above.

This table is being particularly helpful.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
jG is an extraordinary source, along with hardwaresecrets and some other good sites. However, jG rarely mentions the actual manufacturer in his reviews. I need a quick, broad, updated reference like the database posted above.

This table is being particularly helpful.

JonnyGuru always mentions who the OEM is when they open the unit up or usually on the first page of the review. That table is far from imcomplete on the OEMs. For example, it only mentions EVGA's Super Flower based units. They use many different OEMs besides Super Flower.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Heh going through the same thing myself. My PSU in my main rig died and I've been on the border of computer tech for too long so I'm having to give myself a crash course in what PSU's are worth there weight nowadays. Following this thread.

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
Yeah basically i only buy psu's with 10 year warranties. If they back it with a 10 year warranty they are confident the psu is going to perform. They would go out of business on returns if the psu's were crap and died b4 the warranty was up and 90%+ of every sold psu was returned. I consider a PSU good if it can last 10+ years. A 10 year warranty is a damn good sign its basically foolproof.

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
JonnyGuru always mentions who the OEM is when they open the unit up or usually on the first page of the review.
In the first paragraphs of the OP I said what I would want to know. Let's take this jG's review as an illustration.

"The XFX TS 650 is based off of the Seasonic S12G platform."

"Based" or manufactured by Seasonic? It's not clear - but that's precisely what I want to know.

"Looking at the rear of the main PCB, everything looks pretty good as it normally does on these Seasonic based units."

If I offer you a "Picasso based painting", would you think that it's an original, painted by Picasso? Note that I'm not blaming jG and his reviews in any way. But it happens that the information I want isn't there.

That table is far from imcomplete on the OEMs. For example, it only mentions EVGA's Super Flower based units. They use many different OEMs besides Super Flower.
I haven't said it was complete. But it is being helpful for me because I'm willing to buy a XFX model manufactured by Seasonic, and now I know which models I don't want: the cheaper "XT" ones.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
jonnyGURU has always been my go to for PSU reviews, I guess it has been mentioned enough here already, realHardTech for the source of PSU's also.

I haven't spoken to Okie Wolf in awhile, I used to now and then years ago.

I'm just seconding a few things here I suppose.

One of the old lists has went out of style I guess over the years I guess I should delete it.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

;)

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

But I guess UsandThem had already done it.

:cool:

Last edited:

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
Here is a much better list I use as a reference for OEM/links to reviews:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html
If you click on the company on the first page, it will take you to a second page that lists all the models, the OEM, and links to available reviews.
It's a fantastic database, but note that it reports the "XT series" by XFX as "Seasonic". However, according the article and the table I mentioned, they are not manufactured in Seasonic's main factory, but outsourced.

Again, both jG's reviews and the database you quoted are outstanding. Unhappily, no source of information is absolutely complete.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Again, both jG's reviews and the database you quoted are outstanding. Unhappily, no source of information is absolutely complete.

That is and always has been true. Major OEMs will at times sub-contract some (or all) of their product to be made at other factories in times of over-demand or for financial reasons.

The problem with trying to keep track of all this is it can change very often. Maybe the OEM only needs additional production for 3 months, maybe longer. Maybe they only need help producing certain units.

The key is who the OEM is, their design, and their overall quality. For example, I trust if EVGA is selling so many G3 power supplies that Super Flower cannot keep up with the manufacturing demand in their own factories, they are going to partner with a factory that will adhere to it's overall quality standard. If they didn't, and defective G3 units were blowing up people's computers, it would be a public relation nightmare for both Super Flower and EVGA's entire product lineup.

So I guess I am not so concerned if a factory is sub-contracted to make it, I'm more concerned on the quality of the design (and components used) by the OEM, and the warranty and service provided by the company who actually sells it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

nopainnogain

Sep 13, 2016
Major OEMs will at times sub-contract some (or all) of their product to be made at other factories in times of over-demand or for financial reasons. (...) I guess I am not so concerned if a factory is sub-contracted to make it, I'm more concerned on the quality of the design (and components used) by the OEM, and the warranty and service provided by the company who actually sells it.
You went straight to the (relevant) point. Yes, this is precisely my concern. Apart from the project, which is the same, and the components, which are supposed to be the same, we have the hands that will assemble the components and execute the project.

Can I be sure that the hands in the main factory are more experienced or committed to the work they do? Of course not. However, at the same time, I cannot exclude this possibility once and for all. The only thing I can do in a situation like this is to make a bet having incomplete information.

It's worth to mention that in my country the RMA process is, if not more painful, more expensive. It's one reason more to make an effort to minimize the chances of missing the target. So, I'm gathering information to make my bet.

Last but not least,
"Both Hydance and XFX XT implementations use rather low end CS hold-up capacitor rated for 85 degrees C on the primary side, and the secondary side uses caps from the same brand for output filtering.

Both Hydance and XFX have their PCB screened for an additional X capacitor right before the bridge rectifier, but it was omitted and bypassed with a jumper wire - possibly for cost cutting.

Last edited:

twelfth

Sep 10, 2015
I still stand by what is only a rule-of-thumb based on old reviews and experience: I buy Seasonics, or I consider brands like XFX if it's a rebadged Seasonic. There are other "good power supplies," and we know that.

These days, Seasonic is a very good rule of thumb. They're consistently one of the better (if not best) PSU OEMs out there when so many other brands (and makers) have come and gone. A lot of good brands are, as you said, rebadged Seasonics, but that's not always the case with other models within that brand. So I just stick to actual Seasonic branded PSUs. No fancy features, just a really solid PSU.