Who's the best now ATI!!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FSUpaintball

Banned
Jun 12, 2001
ATI and NVidia will always be releasing "the next best thing" and "the fastest card on the market." It'll be back and forth until eternity. To say that one company is better than another because they have a faster card on deck than what is available right now is ludacris.

To me, it comes down to real world performance. I learned a long time ago to stop ogling over companies claiming their cards are twice as fast as the competitors.

Anyways, it's a whole lot more complicated than that. IMHO, ATI builds a better card, but NVidia produces better drivers. I'm sticking with NVidia. I learned my lesson when I traded in my GeForce 3 TI200 for a Radeon 8500 and saw my performance go DOWN.

But, that's beside the point of this post. It's stupid to think that a company is better because they will, sometime in the forseeable future, put out a card that's better than the one you have in your computer.

kimber

Jan 20, 2001
i agree,its a good thing.
the only bad thing is how much it costs to stay up to date when they upgrade so fast.
the 8500 was the first real threat to nvidia in a long time and now it seems they may have there hands full. :)

i would say im still a closet voodoo man.still dreaming of the days when the voodoo1 ruled the land and the when voodoo2 sli just blew everything away.i ran my sli's till about a year and a half ago and still thought they performed admirably.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Visa2
The ati got us the best card in the market again ,this is a very big blow for Nvidia again and for all
this nvidia harcorefans I like that.

I may be wrong (it's hard to read into the tone of a written word), but it seems to me that this thread wasn't written with the best intentions for an intelligent discussion. I mean no disrespect Visa2, but your statement is a bit narrow.

"the best card in the market again" ... when did ATI last have the best card? The Rage Pro? They haven't been the decisive leaders in terms of 3d graphics (post 3dfx Voodoo graphics) ever, not like how the 9700 is superior to the current GF4 Ti4600.

I agree that this is a win for competition, and a minor victory for ATI. This may be a blow to Nvidia and its hardcore fanbase's egos, but rest assured this will make them more focused on trouncing ATI and the rest the next time. I don't see any point in choosing sides in the war (in terms of rooting for anyone), I say whoever makes the best card for the right price when I'm about to buy deserves my business, but I'm not going to say the other side's products are crap or laugh when they get beaten to the punch with a release..

Just my $.02

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Gog
Today my stool is green, tomorrow brown... the same with Videocards. Although I do think that ATi will be on the upswing this year because of them being the first ones out the door with such an impressive directx9 card. True the NV30 will be a .13 directx9 card, but Ati is planning to respond with a .13 varient of the 9700 by then. I truely think that the ball is in ATi's court this year when it comes to the high end... it may be a different story thou when it comes to the mid end.

Dude, a green stool is not good, you should go get that check out. The same with your videocards is worse - any stool from them isn't a good thing ;).

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
The power of the new Ati R300 is astounding, as will be Nvidia's next product. With Gf3's near the $120 mark, and Ati8500's below $100, how can you go wrong with one of these "Budget" cards?

I remember the $135.00 I paid for a retail Diamond Viper V550 16mb TNT card years ago, or the $99 I paid for a Matrox M3d 4mb add-on card before that. Look at the power we have now, and for such low prices, wow.

SSXeon5

Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024

"the best card in the market again" ... when did ATI last have the best card? The Rage Pro? They haven't been the decisive leaders in terms of 3d graphics (post 3dfx Voodoo graphics) ever, not like how the 9700 is superior to the current GF4 Ti4600.

Radeon 8500 64MB beat out the GF3 Ti500 with a small margin and a hell of alot more features like ATi always adds.

I agree that this is a win for competition, and a minor victory for ATI. This may be a blow to Nvidia and its hardcore fanbase's egos, but rest assured this will make them more focused on trouncing ATI and the rest the next time. I don't see any point in choosing sides in the war (in terms of rooting for anyone), I say whoever makes the best card for the right price when I'm about to buy deserves my business, but I'm not going to say the other side's products are crap or laugh when they get beaten to the punch with a release..

Just my $.02

Minor Victory? Ive seen this crap about how great the Ti4600 is .... o yea for raw speed and that crappy QxAA it has? Now this is a HUGE VICTORY for ATi .... destroying the GF4 in anything ..... i mean did you see what Hardocp.com said:

Benchmarks:

UT2003 - 1600x1200x32; 4XAA; 16XAF ? The Radeon 9700 doused the Ti4600 by about 25%. Now get a load of this, that is with the GF4 running without AA or AF. With 4XAA turned on the Ti4600 was crushed by nearly 300%. The Radeon 9700 simply made quick work of the Ti4600 under this UT2003 demo.

3DMark2001 ? Using the default benchmark at 10x7 with no AA nor AF turned on, the Radeon 9700 exceeded the Ti4600?s score by approximately 20%. Where most of the score boost came from was the Nature demo as the Radeon 9700 was posting frame rates of right at 200% of the Ti4600 numbers.

Comanche 4 Demo - 1600x1200x32; 4XAA; 16XAF ? Again, approximately 25% ahead of the Ti4600 with the Ti running no AA or AF compared to the full on settings of the Radeon 9700.

Last, but certainly not least, a benchmark we don?t use as it is made by NVIDIA, tweaked by NVIDIA, and configured for NVIDIA hardware, the Chameleon demo. At 1600x1200, the Radeon 9700 doubled the Ti4600 scores.

Kicked its ass with AA/AF on and the Ti w/o it on .... thats not good for you? Sheesh ....

SSXeon

BarMan

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
I wanna see this damn card OC'd!!!!
With a core 325 clock.... I wonder how high it's
gonna hit! :)

jbond04

Oct 18, 2000
Probably not a whole lot higher. Remember, ATi is still using the same .15um process that the GF3, GF4, the P10, and the Parhelia run on...but with a lot more transistors. I don't think the Radeon 9700 will be renown for it's overclocking potential. I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure I am.

daywalker

Feb 1, 2002
Something else that came to my mind... ATI has a convenient release date for the 9700, having a 6 month head start and practically owning this Xmas season...

NV30 will probably be released in the beggining of 2003 after the holidays...

Nvidia has a lot of ground to catch up

ai42

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2001
Ok just a bit of info for you Video card freaks... I saw Kyle from HardOCP speak at CPL and the Radeon 9700 was covered quite a bit.

First of all, most of the preview stuff is from a lower clocked version of the 9700. Kyle was saying that his card that he got to play with was about 50mhz slower than what the retail card will ship with, perhaps OEMs will be forced to clock them lower. Secondly the CPU (2.53Ghz P4) was slowing down the card, the card could have squeezed off some more fps but the CPU was limiting it! On the demo Kyle was using he pulls off about 80s fps on Quake3 1600x1200 with all 4x FSAA, antistropic filtering, all the eye candy turned on.

Also know that 8X AGP dosen't seam like a huge improvement, but according to Kyle you will need it for next generation games like Doom 3. Also as I'm sure you guys know this card does use 8X AGP, and there are not too many mobos out today that support 8x AGP.

On the Nvidia side, well they do have some promising stuff from what it sounds like with the NV30, but you won't see it this year. Probbably first or second quarter next year. So ATI will reign for a while. Nvidia will however get a NV28 card out for Christmas. This is just basically an upgraded GeForce 4. But nothing compared to the Radeon 9700. Nvidia will surely drop prices of the GF4 line down to perhaps sub $200 for the Ti4600 in order to scale things with the 9700. The NV30 is suppsed to be .13 micron tech, but well that may have some serious problems. As we remember Intel had a hard time using .13, and thats Intel. Nvidia may not have the resources to sucessfully produce .13 easily.

Retail price on the 9700 is expected at $399.

I dunno about you guys but this blew me away