Whom is still rocking an Athlon / Phenom II (even X6), or a Core2Duo/Quad? X58 users too.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
I just resurrected my phenom II 1080T processor. It is running my way to old freenas box for the next few days while it transfers data to my new freenas box. I think I may make it a plex box after this.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
I have a Core 2 Duo (well, actually Pentium Dual-Core) system in daily use, hooked up to a Sony Trinitron CRT TV for watching YouTube, Kodi and retro-game emulation. Plenty fast enough for 480p.

eddieobscurant

Oct 19, 2015
My 2nd pc has a xeon x5470 @ 4150mhz, maximus 2 formula (p45), 16(4x4)gb ddr2 @ 1000mhz, samsung 950 pro and i replaced my radeon 7850 with a rx 570 8gb for hevc decoding (watching 4k movies). Apart from some games that require sse4.1 and above instructions, i can play most of the games.

Sunaiac

Dec 17, 2014
Still using a 980x + 290x on a g1 assassin.
Just started buying parts for a new system, after 9 years on x58 and nearly 5 on 980x and 290x.

Nearly jumped when 2700x came. Can't resist 3900x :D

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Took the spare 8350 rig and just wanted to see how it would handle some older games as i never gamed on the 8350 honestly. Thought it would be fun to see where botttlenecks begin and end at 4k so i slapped my 1070ti in there to see. Way older games i prob won't bother to mention as these titles no one really plays or we all know they will play fine but BF4 ran fairly well paired with hardly no bottlenecks in avg fps with my given settings of all ultra low effects and no msaa. Had some dips in gpu usage and its prob cause the 8350 is housed in a 780g el cheapo board and it just throttles the chip after the cpu takes a beating for a while. I played some Overwatch and it pegs out my 1070ti perfectly and performance is very solid and smooth with 70+ fps at any given time all maxed out minus aa. GTA V ran ok but the minimums dropped into the 50s in spots i normally hit 70 in. Game isn't maxed out but i went for settings where i wouldn't drop under 50 on the 8700 non k and i see them much more often on the 8350.

On another note i had a bit of fun experiencing how much fun the stock cooler can be.I disabled cool n quiet and well on a good load the fan sounds like a banshee yet temps aren't hitting over 55cel in BF4 while i need a CM 212 to get nearly the same temps on a 8700 non k. That 8350 stock cooler is pretty insane as it pumps out enough heat that my dang tower doubles up as a space heater and even saw 5 degree higher gpu load temps. I haven't gamed on a Amd chip since a x2 550 back in 2011 so it was a interesting experience. The 8350 tower is more or less a Hulu/Netflix/youtube tower but i was curious to see how it would perform in some games if a gpu was in it.

I gave thought to possibly selling off the 8700 non k gear while it had value and toughing it out on the 8350 till the 3000 Ryzen series drops. Kind of changed my mind but it did cross my mind for a min. It was what got my little experiment going.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Took the spare 8350 rig and just wanted to see how it would handle some older games as i never gamed on the 8350 honestly. Thought it would be fun to see where botttlenecks begin and end at 4k so i slapped my 1070ti in there to see. Way older games i prob won't bother to mention as these titles no one really plays or we all know they will play fine but BF4 ran fairly well paired with hardly no bottlenecks in avg fps with my given settings of all ultra low effects and no msaa. Had some dips in gpu usage and its prob cause the 8350 is housed in a 780g el cheapo board and it just throttles the chip after the cpu takes a beating for a while. I played some Overwatch and it pegs out my 1070ti perfectly and performance is very solid and smooth with 70+ fps at any given time all maxed out minus aa. GTA V ran ok but the minimums dropped into the 50s in spots i normally hit 70 in. Game isn't maxed out but i went for settings where i wouldn't drop under 50 on the 8700 non k and i see them much more often on the 8350.

For fun and games, I tried running The Witcher 3 on an old Athlon X3 445@3.1GHz coupled with a spare GTX970. Ran perfectly @1440p/30fps/Ultra Settings, with no frame drops below.

Just proves the GPU is more important then the CPU today. Unless you're going for 60+fps gaming.

Reactions: lightmanek

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
For fun and games, I tried running The Witcher 3 on an old Athlon X3 445@3.1GHz coupled with a spare GTX970. Ran perfectly @1440p/30fps/Ultra Settings, with no frame drops below.

Just proves the GPU is more important then the CPU today. Unless you're going for 60+fps gaming.

Oh if i maxed out BF4/GTA V the gpu will easily become the bottleneck but i will fall into what i would consider unplayable frames. I usually aim for 60 minimums and have done this since 2007 but GTA V requires so much dropped on the 1070ti at 4k that it honestly would look like trash if i didn't open up to the exception of minimums closer to 50. Averages are well over 60 of course but those minimums can be annoying. :)

Given i enjoy a 60+ experience the only title that i actively play that just plays that smooth is Overwatch. If you can accept minimums closer to 40 and averages over 60 then check this out.
Its a stock 8350 pushing a maxed out setting BF5 on a RTX2080. Those numbers do include RT enabled at ultra as well. Could make a case that for 1440p that gpu may be a better fit with those frames but that video certainly shows where a bottleneck begins and ends with a 8350 these days.

Reactions: Insert_Nickname

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Witcher 3 is kind of old. I doubt you would get that fps in Cyberpunk 2077.

Was a few years ago now.

I doubt Cyberpunk would even run. Well, perhaps it will, since it -can- run on Jaguar cores (K10 is ~+50% per core vs. Jaguar). It was getting borderline, but again it didn't actually drop below 30fps, so I'd look at it as a minimum CPU requirement. But it wasn't a bad showing for a 7 year old bargain basement CPU at the time.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
But it wasn't a bad showing for a 7 year old bargain basement CPU at the time.

I do enjoy seeing where something like this 8350 lands today.Not everyone can afford upgrades and to some people like my buddy who owned this 8350 before me, he was fairly happy with it. Not everyone requires a 60fps golden standard of gaming which seems to be where the industry has fixated on. Some people may just enjoy Overwatch and well the 8350 is perfectly fine with it pumping out a avg of over 100. Some people may want a 144hz setup and well the 8350 doesn't work there . Others may focus on how bad this old cpu runs in the newest possible games and its like well what did you expect was going to happen?

I wouldn't preach to the masses to go and buy a 8350 today but i guess if you got anything less then a FX6300 on a AM2+ setup that just maybe it could be a viable option if you manage your expectations. It's only a 8 core 8 threaded chip that retails used for about what a fourth to fifth the price of a 9700 non k? It may be a reasonable upgrade over a complete system overhaul. I think i remember seeming them for $50 on Newegg shortly before they removed it not to long ago. I would argue that performance is solid for that price.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I do enjoy seeing where something like this 8350 lands today.Not everyone can afford upgrades and to some people like my buddy who owned this 8350 before me, he was fairly happy with it. Not everyone requires a 60fps golden standard of gaming which seems to be where the industry has fixated on. Some people may just enjoy Overwatch and well the 8350 is perfectly fine with it pumping out a avg of over 100. Some people may want a 144hz setup and well the 8350 doesn't work there . Others may focus on how bad this old cpu runs in the newest possible games and its like well what did you expect was going to happen?

I wouldn't preach to the masses to go and buy a 8350 today but i guess if you got anything less then a FX6300 on a AM2+ setup that just maybe it could be a viable option if you manage your expectations. It's only a 8 core 8 threaded chip that retails used for about what a fourth to fifth the price of a 9700 non k? It may be a reasonable upgrade over a complete system overhaul. I think i remember seeming them for $50 on Newegg shortly before they removed it not to long ago. I would argue that performance is solid for that price.

Due to some money-problems I had to part out my 6600k gaming rig and go back to using my old 8350 rig @ 4.2 on all cores awhile back.

Was expecting things to get ugly but although I did notice slow-downs, gaming wasn't really that much of an issue, especially after a buddy gifted me his old GTX 980 which provided a very noticeable bump in FPS over a GTX 770.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Due to some money-problems I had to part out my 6600k gaming rig and go back to using my old 8350 rig @ 4.2 on all cores awhile back.

Was expecting things to get ugly but although I did notice slow-downs, gaming wasn't really that much of an issue, especially after a buddy gifted me his old GTX 980 which provided a very noticeable bump in FPS over a GTX 770.

That is a very nice friend. :) Yeah i have bounced back and fourth when times were tough too. Sometimes i did the bouncing cause i lost interested in pc gaming as well and was content with something dang near free or something i had as a spare . I had went from 3930k rigs to Pentium dual cores and from quad core i5 rigs to Pentium 4 computers in times it was barely usable for old games that are free to play. I had a bounce back last year from a 3770 non k to a Q6600 that i tape modded. The Q6600 bounce back was certainly a tough time experience and going from a 3770 and 970 to a Q6600+gtx650 yikes.

Are you still using the 8350 with the 980?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Are you still using the 8350 with the 980?

Posting on it right now in fact... Will hopefully be building a Ryzen 3 rig around the holidays now that DDR4 is finally getting cheaper.

And yeah the 980 was a nice gift no question even though it had a dead fan. *(zip-tied on a couple 92mm fans) I'd been seriously considering either a 6gb GTX 1060 or an RX 580 which at the time was at least $230.

EDIT: To be fair I didn't get the 980 until after the 6600k system was sold & gone so I can't speak to how much different results would have been with a faster GPU.

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I've recently done testing with a stock and overclocked FX 8350. I also matched it up against an I5 3570K - While the FX pulls a lot more power, it still holds up fine for most modern games. In some games the FX 8350 Overclocked was close to or topping out the RTX 2060

Skip to 6:20 for the benchmarks

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've recently done testing with a stock and overclocked FX 8350. I also matched it up against an I5 3570K - While the FX pulls a lot more power, it still holds up fine for most modern games. In some games the FX 8350 Overclocked was close to or topping out the RTX 2060

Interesting and pretty much jibes with my personal experience... although CPU does matter in gaming its usually MUCH less important then GPU if you run at high resolution. (large multi-player maps in some titles being an exception)

While I don't game nearly as much as I used to, I've yet to run into anything I can't run on this system at decent FPS with a few relatively minor reductions in image quality.

Reactions: Face2Face

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

I love those BF5 numbers. Got to give Dice credit when credit is due but dang some nice optimizations right there. Thank you also for not benching what everyone and their mothers have benched as well. I benched what i did cause that's what i enjoy and i am not alone but its refreshing to see newer titles just thrown in the mix as well.

Reactions: Face2Face

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Not everyone requires a 60fps golden standard of gaming which seems to be where the industry has fixated on.

Indeed. I'm even running a few very old titles on my anaemic N3350 laptop for use when travelling. Good graphics doesn't beat good gameplay. Battery life while doing it is pretty decent too, due to very low computational requirements.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Good graphics doesn't beat good gameplay

Now if only the vast majority of the game-companies could figure this out ... doesn't matter how "shiny" the graphics are if game-play sucks.

News flash .... storyline AND having an emotional stake in your character DOES actually matter a LOT more then bells and whistles !!!

*(looking @ you Bioware/EA)

ChubChub

Jul 6, 2019
I have an AMD 255 system running as a router (has been a litany of things in its lifetime); to be sold soon though. A 4800+ X2 I gave to a friend, and he uses it as a media PC daily. I also have a 2100+, overclocked since the day I got it. It's an FTP/intranet server at my office now, and I really only have it wasting energy because why not; probably should just make a VM out of it. I THINK it's running 11x200, but it has been running virtually non-stop since I bought it.

There's a small chance my K6/2 233/Viper V330 is still in my godparents' basement as a Solitaire machine. Last I went down there, about 2 years ago, it was still working.