Whom is still rocking an Athlon / Phenom II (even X6), or a Core2Duo/Quad? X58 users too.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I still have a dual X5670 rig I use for gaming. An an X58 950 that I sometimes use.

Reactions: Drazick
Feb 4, 2009
My Q9650 is having an unhappy period again. Black screen at power up. I’ve changed the power supply to a newer used on (antec neo 650) and tried a different video card same result.
Weird how it comes and stays black screen no matter what I do for a day or two then it’s back to normal.
I guess that’s the downside of rolling with a 9 1/2 year old machine.
Building a new 2200G system is looking more attractive since it’s only $80 at micro center now. I’ll upgrade to an AMD 3000 chip when they are available

Reactions: scannall

Markfw

May 16, 2002
My Q9650 is having an unhappy period again. Black screen at power up. I’ve changed the power supply to a newer used on (antec neo 650) and tried a different video card same result.
Weird how it comes and stays black screen no matter what I do for a day or two then it’s back to normal.
I guess that’s the downside of rolling with a 9 1/2 year old machine.
Building a new 2200G system is looking more attractive since it’s only $80 at micro center now. I’ll upgrade to an AMD 3000 chip when they are available
Not to talk you out of that, but I think its memory, not the CPU.....

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does he have a "beeper" attached? You generally get error beep when the RAM is bad. Well, as long as it's not shorting out the entire system board.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Does he have a "beeper" attached? You generally get error beep when the RAM is bad. Well, as long as it's not shorting out the entire system board.
Ram that is "a little bad" can be problematic, but not make the motherboard beep. in my experience. Not sure how else to describe the situation, but the system boots, has problems, and then changing the ram fixes it.

Feb 4, 2009

Hmmm going down to 4GB from 8GB on a nearly 10 year old machine running Windows 10 sounds like a bad idea.....

I think it may be the cmos(?) battery thing on the motherboard
Seems like if I leave it unplugged for a while or unplug and mess with the power button it recovers. This failure feels more severe than previous failures been more than a day and same black screen.

@VirtualLarry you gave me a very kind offer, I appreciate it.
I do want the satisfaction of building my own again.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
either way, replacing it seems like the best idea.

Feb 4, 2009
I must have jinxed myself posting in this thread. All my usual tricks have failed to revive my old machine. Now keyboard and mouse appear to have no power coming from the USB ports. Still a black screen no beeps.
Recovery CD doesn’t work either.

Sad...

Edit: Yay! its working again and I literally did nothing but try to power it on one last time before heading to the office to do some work

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboxes

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Not myself, but my parents ran an old Core2Duo system (I gave them years ago). For $60 (ebay and local deals) I upgraded the CPU to a used QX9650, got them an additional 4GB of ram (total 8GB), and replaced the HDD with a new 240GB SSD. I also had an extra GTX 1050 that wasn't in use and stuck it in there for them (this video card doesn't need additional power). Display port to a monitor and the HDMI port is also hooked up to a large screen TV. Before it was impossible when they tried to playback 4K video but now 4K video runs smooth.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Edit: Yay! its working again and I literally did nothing but try to power it on one last time before heading to the office to do some work
Does it power-down while you're using it? Or just fail to power-up, once powered-down? It could need a CMOS battery replacement (try the dollar store, for a CR2032, or a pharmacy, or Walmart), or possibly, that replacement used PSU isn't in such great shape either. (Try a new one? I'll send you one for shipping, I've got excess stock of PSUs right now.) Barring that, look at the mobo, for bent / bruised / swollen / leaking caps, or burn / scorch marks near the VRMs. (Might need to take off VRM heatsinks, which may not be desireable at this time.)

I mean, it could just be getting on in years, but a new CMOS battery and PSU wouldn't cost all that much. (Especially if I just mail you one.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not myself, but my parents ran an old Core2Duo system (I gave them years ago). For $60 (ebay and local deals) I upgraded the CPU to a used QX9650, got them an additional 4GB of ram (total 8GB), and replaced the HDD with a new 240GB SSD. I also had an extra GTX 1050 that wasn't in use and stuck it in there for them (this video card doesn't need additional power). Display port to a monitor and the HDMI port is also hooked up to a large screen TV. Before it was impossible when they tried to playback 4K video but now 4K video runs smooth.
It may be dated, but with those stats, I'm sure that it's still a rockin' rig. Very nice.

Feb 4, 2009
Does it power-down while you're using it? Or just fail to power-up, once powered-down? It could need a CMOS battery replacement (try the dollar store, for a CR2032, or a pharmacy, or Walmart), or possibly, that replacement used PSU isn't in such great shape either. (Try a new one? I'll send you one for shipping, I've got excess stock of PSUs right now.) Barring that, look at the mobo, for bent / bruised / swollen / leaking caps, or burn / scorch marks near the VRMs. (Might need to take off VRM heatsinks, which may not be desireable at this time.)

I mean, it could just be getting on in years, but a new CMOS battery and PSU wouldn't cost all that much. (Especially if I just mail you one.)

Powers off normally but black screen when it powers on. Usually fiddling with cables or unplugging and holding power key fixes it after a few try’s. This time was fiddle with the previously mentioned stuff multiple times over nearly 3 days.
Seems okay now but I know it will come back.
I’d prefer to keep it functional until we get more info on the next Ryzen chips but I’m a realtor and I really need my home machine working dependably. Using my iPad to type up an offer to purchase was miserable and stressful.
I may try the CMOS battery, I didn’t know those were standard off the shelf batteries, upside is I can scratch that off the list of stuff I’d like to accomplish in life.
New PS offer is kind but I’m at the point of not wanting to put money into this machine. Newer power supply is an Antech Neo 650, it’s about 5 years old.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Powers off normally but black screen when it powers on. Usually fiddling with cables or unplugging and holding power key fixes it after a few try’s. This time was fiddle with the previously mentioned stuff multiple times over nearly 3 days.
Seems okay now but I know it will come back.
I’d prefer to keep it functional until we get more info on the next Ryzen chips but I’m a realtor and I really need my home machine working dependably. Using my iPad to type up an offer to purchase was miserable and stressful.
I may try the CMOS battery, I didn’t know those were standard off the shelf batteries, upside is I can scratch that off the list of stuff I’d like to accomplish in life.
New PS offer is kind but I’m at the point of not wanting to put money into this machine. Newer power supply is an Antech Neo 650, it’s about 5 years old.
Get a X470 chipset motherboard, and the cheapest Ryzen you can. Once the 300 series is out, you can then pick your poison and it will plug right in. You need to have another machine that is dependable.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You need to have another machine that is dependable.
THIS!!! I'm a big fan of the N+1 rig, or basically, keeping the older rig around, when you upgrade to a new one, every five years or so.

If you NEED a PC for work, you really don't want to paint yourself into a corner with a 10-year old rig that may or may not power-up ever again.

Just IMHO, and I've generally always, in my adult life, had a second rig. For most people, it could be a desktop and a laptop.

If you're of the "minimalist" philosophy, you may not share my viewpoints on this subject.

Feb 4, 2009
Get a X470 chipset motherboard, and the cheapest Ryzen you can. Once the 300 series is out, you can then pick your poison and it will plug right in. You need to have another machine that is dependable.

I was thinking an ASRock B450 board. Going to be posting in the pc build section soon.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I was thinking an ASRock B450 board. Going to be posting in the pc build section soon.
The reason I said x470, is that when the new chips come out, if you wanted the new 16 core chip, I am sure it would handle it. The B450 may limit your choices. Since you upgrade so seldom, it seems like a big upgrade is in order.

Feb 4, 2009
The reason I said x470, is that when the new chips come out, if you wanted the new 16 core chip, I am sure it would handle it. The B450 may limit your choices. Since you upgrade so seldom, it seems like a big upgrade is in order.

Good thought thanks man

Currently I’m thinking a 2600 (non x)
With the motherboard discount it’s like $50 more than a 2200G & motherboard.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Good thought thanks man

Currently I’m thinking a 2600 (non x)
With the motherboard discount it’s like $50 more than a 2200G & motherboard.
Well, that would be one heck of an upgrade from what you have, I was just thinking the next level....

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
THIS!!! I'm a big fan of the N+1 rig, or basically, keeping the older rig around, when you upgrade to a new one, every five years or so.

If you NEED a PC for work, you really don't want to paint yourself into a corner with a 10-year old rig that may or may not power-up ever again.

Just IMHO, and I've generally always, in my adult life, had a second rig. For most people, it could be a desktop and a laptop.

If you're of the "minimalist" philosophy, you may not share my viewpoints on this subject.

I hear there are lots of nice deals on refurb desktops and laptops. $200-250 for a decent business class laptop that is only 2-4 years old.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wait, is there really going to be a 16 core on AM4? Is this confirmed? Thought it was just rumors.