Whoa, WTF

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2005
Originally posted by: geno
"Some try to buy it"

Doesn't Scientology require a decent investment on the part of the sucke...I mean member?

yep. either heaps of money or 25,000 years of servitude. of course, everyone choose to pay money.

Circlenaut

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: AmdEmAll
I don't really know anything about the religion but I thought the commercial was pretty powerful and it has peaked my interests. So I guess it worked.

It can peak anyone's interest in spirituality by replacing the last bit of text at the end with x spiritual belief.

I thought the commercial was well done. It actually speaks to exactly how I feel spiritually but in no fucking way is scientology (not capitalizing) the answer. I believe that a person should develop, by themselves, what they believe in and everybody in this world is entitled to be respected for what the believe in. I firmly believe that you cannot be told what to feel in life, you have to experience and find out things on your own. Of course this is simply because we don't know what the actually truth is.

As I mature and think and experience the world I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's impossible to know anything metaphysically. That the question to believe in God or not is moot. If there is a God, we can never understand something so holistic. Just live life to what you think is right, to what society thinks is right, to what feels right. The tricky part is figuring out how to cope with death by yourself. Really think about what death is. I think that's the ultimate test of any philosophy.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: geno
"Some try to buy it"

Doesn't Scientology require a decent investment on the part of the sucke...I mean member?

Yup.

My first though was... "now with scientology you can..."

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: marvdmartian
Typical cult message, passing itself off as a religion: come join us, and belong! :roll:

Calling scientology a religion is just insulting! :disgust:

Cult and Religion are synonyms...

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I felt kind of like Peter from Family Guy when they mention the Showgirls movie.

TV Announcer: "And now back to, Showgirls..."
Peter: "Ahhh!!!"
TV Announcer: "...on TBS."
Peter: ohhh...

In other words, a huge let-down. :)

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Voted down and marked every comment as spam as thats what it is, a bunch of scientology spammers

Oct 4, 2004
Wow, looks like they drew inspiration from Fight Club for this ad

"You are not your name.
Youre not your job.
Youre not the clothes you wear or the neighborhood you live in.
Youre not your fears your failures or your past.
You are hope.
You are imagination.
You are the power to change to create and to grow.
You are a spirit that will never die.
And no matter how beaten down,
you will rise again."

LOL.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
With the current economic situation now is a great time for the DoJ to claim Scientology is a ponzi scheme and wipe them off the face of the earth. Round them up and put them in camps imo.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Originally posted by: surfsatwerk
With the current economic situation now is a great time for the DoJ to claim Scientology is a ponzi scheme and wipe them off the face of the earth. Round them up and put them in camps imo.

I hope the people saying these things aren't Christians!

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Objectively speaking that is not too bad of a commercial. I think they targeted a wide variety of people and it is quite simple. I find this to be a much better commercial that many fundie Christian ads I have seen.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005

Whoa whoa, you took my avatar. I'd like $5 for it please.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Originally posted by: Quintox

Whoa whoa, you took my avatar. I'd like $5 for it please.

My avatar is more of a man purse than a briefcase.

Oct 27, 2007

Do you know what a ponzi scheme is? CoS is a scam in many ways (like most religions) but it's not a ponzi scheme.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Scientology is nothing but a dangerous cult. Too bad there's always suckers available to suck into a cult like that....

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I hope they don't start walking around and knock on our doors. If I start opening my door naked for everybody they might have me commited.