Whoa, I think something's really wrong with my '97 Mazda 626LX sedan

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Looks like the filter is not normally a changeable part. It would only be changed with a rebuild. It's a "lifetime" part. Assuming you have the C4DE / LA4A-EL transaxle.
I'm rather sure I do have the CD4E (what Ford calls their transmission).

Well, I just had a re-look at my Chilton's and I made a mistake. The drain plug is on the MTX. The ATX evidently involves removing the pan, and according to Chilton's, filter removal and replacement with a new one is part of the service. Now a dealership may have better equipment and the procedure may be rather different, I can't tell.

If you base your "lifetime" assessment on the quote in my last post, I think you shouldn't jump to that conclusion. That guy may have been talking about a DIY quick and dirty approach. I find it hard to believe that the filter is really supposed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle.

If anyone has access to the service manual, please clarify. Anyway, I figure absent more information I'm going to call Mazda USA customer service tomorrow and hope I get a straight and honest answer.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I'm pretty sure that filter is deep inside the transmission and not normally changed. It's not the typical filter just inside the pan.

Does the owner's manual have a filter change interval?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm pretty sure that filter is deep inside the transmission and not normally changed. It's not the typical filter just inside the pan.

Does the owner's manual have a filter change interval?
I don't believe so, in fact what I'm seeing in my searches is that the manual doesn't even recommend an interval for changing the fluid.

You may be right about the filter not getting replaced. The following site declares that the filter is designed to last for the life of the transmission. The treatment, posted just last Nov. 8, is at least semi-professional:

Everything You Need To Know About The Ford CD4E Transmission

I really don't know what to make of the Chilton's. It's for so many different cars, doesn't mention the name of the transmission they describe service for or designate what car it is for, so I was forced to assume it's true for all the cars that the manual covers -- Mazda 323/MX-3/626/MX-6/Millenia/Protege 1990-98.

Last edited:

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
Don't worry too much; the dealer is probably the best place to get that transmission serviced. If you are not going to be doing it yourselves, then he probably knows more about it than any random shop.

Drain and refill usually involves only about 1/3 of the total fluid. You remove the drain plug, measure what comes out, put back the same one, drive/(or on lift) for a while to make sure it goes through all gears and repeat the process. If it takes 3.5 qt per cycle, after 3 cycles you will have used about 11 qts and most of the fluid would be now new.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Don't worry too much; the dealer is probably the best place to get that transmission serviced. If you are not going to be doing it yourselves, then he probably knows more about it than any random shop.

Drain and refill usually involves only about 1/3 of the total fluid. You remove the drain plug, measure what comes out, put back the same one, drive/(or on lift) for a while to make sure it goes through all gears and repeat the process. If it takes 3.5 qt per cycle, after 3 cycles you will have used about 11 qts and most of the fluid would be now new.
That seems consistent with the facts. There were 12 more miles on the car than when I brought it in, probably most or all of it was on the rack, I hadn't thought of that. Also seems consistent with the 12 qt fluid they say they used.

I took it for a short drive today, as much to test it before Sunday, when I have to run some important errands as to do an errand I'd been putting off. It seemed pretty OK. It did slam a trifle into second on the way home, maybe it was just my imagination. I'll probably order that cooler within a week, but won't install it until warmer weather in a month or two.

Thanks for the help!

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
In general, Lubeguard Red has good reputation as a transmission additive. I have used it on my Camry and Odyssey and I *think* it helped (could be completely psychological too!) See if Mazda group recommends it and if so order it from Amazon after reading the reviews. Don't go for other Lubeguard like Platinum or Black and follow the direction.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Last weekend I installed a Hayden 403 external transmission fluid cooler. Now I'm wondering if I should in addition add an in-line filter. The dealership, when they flushed and replaced the transmission fluid with Red Line D4 ATF, didn't replace the filter, which resides in the transmission.

I posted at the Mazda 626 forum and a moderator ventured that an in-line filter wouldn't have sufficient surface area to be effective and would in addition clog up posing a problem: "I dont see a inline filter having enough surface area to really help. And it would clog up pretty quickly." I don't know if he was being realistic there. Some of the ones I've seen on Amazon indicate that they have a feature where if the pressure of fluid is sufficient, the filter is bypassed, therefore clogging would presumably not pose a problem. What do you guys think?

Thread I posted at 626 forums: http://mazda626.net/topic/42734-suggest-inline-filter-for-626-transmission/

Last edited: