Who would you rather talk to in person: Dalai Lama or the Pope?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
yet another random question that was derived from yahoo's news about the pope.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
neither one per se but I'd much rather talk to the dalai lama than the pope if given a choice because at least not everything he represents is false

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
I bet the Dalai Lama would have cooler things to say. The Pope would just ask why I haven't gone to confession and tell me to say 100 Hail Marys.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
wow i thought there'd be more votes for pope since there's mostly christians in the world... or am i off?

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: jinduy
wow i thought there'd be more votes for pope since there's mostly christians in the world... or am i off?

that doesn't mean there's a majority of Christians at AT...

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

Isn't it only the Catholic faith that believes in the Pope?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: bradruth

perhaps, i'm a little ignorant about these religions.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000

well....the Pope is a person, lol. It's not like you have to have faith to believe that he exists, because we can see him "in real life".

With that being said, the leader of the Catholic church is the Pope. Catholics believe the Pope is (correct me if I'm wrong...) Christ on Earth and has the ability to forgive sins and everything else Jesus could do.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Yzzim

well....the Pope is a person, lol. It's not like you have to have faith to believe that he exists, because we can see him "in real life".

With that being said, the leader of the Catholic church is the Pope. Catholics believe the Pope is (correct me if I'm wrong...) Christ on Earth and has the ability to forgive sins and everything else Jesus could do.

I would really like to see him walk on water.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

Hah, well what I meant is that only Catholics see the Pope as having some sort of "power" or significance. I was raised Catholic and I don't recall anyone referring to the Pope as Christ. :confused:

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I already talked to the dalai lama. He said "there will be no money. but on you're deathbed you will recieve eternal consiousness." So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002

Hah, well what I meant is that only Catholics see the Pope as having some sort of "power" or significance. I was raised Catholic and I don't recall anyone referring to the Pope as Christ. :confused:

Yeah, the Pope isn't Christ - he's just the spiritual leader of the religion on earth. That being said, I'd rather talk to the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace - striking. Scratch that - I want to golf with the Lama! I saw the Pope at the Vatican a few years back - pretty cool. But he's getting a bit old and 'out of it' now.

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
I already talked to the dalai lama. He said "there will be no money. but on you're deathbed you will recieve eternal consiousness." So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

You bastard - you beat me to it!

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: sparkyclarky
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

You bastard - you beat me to it!

:):beer: I hope I didn't screw it up too bad. I haven't seen that movie in a couple years.