Who would make a good next POTUS?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So, people nutty enough to vote for Trump were right about Hillary?

That's how they got played. It was remarkable how one of the crookedest bastards in the world managed to paint her as the crooked one. If you believe any part of it you're still getting played.

Neither one of them should have been a candidate. She is crooked. So is he. It was a very sad state of affairs. People knew she was crooked long before Trump started throwing things at her. There is absolutely no reason to think that just because Hillary lost to Trump that Trump is any better. He just did a better job of fooling people.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Neither one of them should have been a candidate. She is crooked. So is he. It was a very sad state of affairs. People knew she was crooked long before Trump started throwing things at her. There is absolutely no reason to think that just because Hillary lost to Trump that Trump is any better. He just did a better job of fooling people.

Yada, yada, yada.

Meanwhile, the Trump admin is shaping up to be one of the crookedest & most destructive in history. And the Faithful still Believe!

Trump didn't do all that himself. He had help from his Russian admirers & decades of ruthless divisive right wing mind fuck to build on.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Big words, remember who you're conversing with, you damn intellectual.
Oh, I get your meaning now, I thought about it. You are referring to my not pretending I don't have a decent vocabulary. VOCABULARY, ever heard of that word? Look it up, cheese man. I didn't use any words that 90+% of the people who come here have no trouble understanding. You want me to what? Dumb down my posts? Sheesh.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey, man, the only other person I have heard call Hillary crooked is the goddamn potus. WTH are you talking about? The Clintons made money after Bill left office. What makes Hillary more crooked than the run of the mill politician? Not her private email server for fuck's sake. Not Lybia. Did you fall for Trump's bullshit hook line and sinker? He had a bullshit moniker for every potential candidate in his way. Hillary was righteously indignant about the way Trump treated her.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My issue though is that the people who support him, don't seem to be detered no matter what he does...so what does that mean for the next presidency?
It's a bad lookout for the US of A. When you stick with a "leader" no matter what he does, no matter what lies he shovels in your face, you are pathetic. We better get over it or life here will be hopeless for a major portion of the populace. IMO the moral fiber of the nation has been rotting progressively. If that doesn't change, we're doomed as a country.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Eisenhower was a non-politician pragmatist who could have fit into either party at the time; there's not really anyone comparable in the modern era except for perhaps Collin Powell. Arguably Ross Perot as well.
Eisenhower was the 1950s, it can't and won't be duplicated. He was the supreme commander of the allied forces in the European theater of WW II. He was regarded one of the heroes instrumental to saving civilization. Of course, Churchill had similar cache, maybe more. There aren't politicians around who begin to compare to them, it's a very different world now.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Eisenhower was the 1950s, it can't and won't be duplicated. He was the supreme commander of the allied forces in the European theater of WW II. He was regarded one of the heroes instrumental to saving civilization. Of course, Churchill had similar cache, maybe more. There aren't politicians around who begin to compare to them, it's a very different world now.

I’m not asking for a world saver, but is a reasonably non-partisan guy like Ike too much to ask?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Oh, I get your meaning now, I thought about it. You are referring to my not pretending I don't have a decent vocabulary. VOCABULARY, ever heard of that word? Look it up, cheese man. I didn't use any words that 90+% of the people who come here have no trouble understanding. You want me to what? Dumb down my posts? Sheesh.

Not at all, I like to see a robust vocabulary. Just bear in mind that millions of Americans scoff at such verbage, while slinging hate filled terms like intellectual, as if it's a bad thing to use that noggin

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, not too much to ask, no way.

If glenn1 were to describe that non-partisan guy he'd be a Republican. Go figure.

The GOP has been shoving extreme partisanship up Dems' bungholes since Gingrich. Their policy wrt Obama was scorched earth, including Garland. But now they want... non-partisanship, in some vague & undefined way.

Feb 4, 2009
Hey, man, the only other person I have heard call Hillary crooked is the goddamn potus. WTH are you talking about? The Clintons made money after Bill left office. What makes Hillary more crooked than the run of the mill politician? Not her private email server for fuck's sake. Not Lybia. Did you fall for Trump's bullshit hook line and sinker? He had a bullshit moniker for every potential candidate in his way. Hillary was righteously indignant about the way Trump treated her.

Or more crooked than the run of the
Mill billionaire?
Never could figure that out, one person earning a ton of
Money is crooked the other is a business mastermind for essentially doing the same thing

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
As long as Americans want a hero to save them from themselves they will always end up with the president they deserve.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
No idea. It seems to ruin honest men....then again...no one honest runs for such a position because by now they realize they can't make any real change.

it also pains me to see so many tow the line suggestions here. I would not want a single person that already has a name to be POTUS at this point. We don't need lifer politicians. We need someone to hit it and quit it. Someone not so full of BS as Trump. How that man made it to POTUS is just...wow. So no, I don't expect anything better coming in the near future.

I completely disagree. Trump was voted in using your exact criteria.

We don't need someone who wants to hit it and quit it. Someone like that is exactly what trump is, someone who thinks they can charge things themselves, someone who sees the presidency as money making opportunity. Non thanks.

What we need is some body who has dedicated their life to making America better and who has a history of accomplishments and a history of working across party lines. What we need is someone who doesn't care about party lines and is willing to put themselves on the line if it means supporting the best policies even if they didn't come from their party. What we need is someone who's motivation isn't getting richer, like trump seems to be, someone who has fought against big money and who has stayed on the right side of an issue despite it being politically unpopular.

Unfortunately, the people who meet that particular criteria aren't deluded and so full of themselves that they think they can be president. The people who meet the above criteria are often too focused on actually enacting positive change and they are actually making America better.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have a few ideas as to how he made it. The democrats have gone too far left and many don't want the globalist agenda. These things should be a warning to democrats, as to where they stand in the future, should they continue pulling further in that direction. People still love our country and want to protect it. Even with all Trump's character flaws, he was elected on policies. I didn't vote for him, as the man, but the message and what I felt he could do. He's accomplished much of his agenda in pretty short order. What message do the democrats actually have, and what policies, are going to improve our lives, over what we have? Running around calling people racists, deplorables, phobes, identity politics, etc.....well, none of those dogs hunt anymore and people are sick of it. Give us an actual message and a platform. The aforementioned things are not a platform, just spiteful ugly campaigning, which would again lose. Those calling for candidates to go further left are just nuts...wrong strategy. The majority of this country are not liberal leftists. I'd bet it's less than 30%.

I had no idea you voted for alienating our allies while at the same time doing everything in his power to prop up Russia and Putin. Nice job