Who uses a Password Manger, if so which one?

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I'm curious if people here use a password manager, and if so which one?

Reading up on Dashlane, Lastpass (free/premium), mSecure... etc... and curious how widespread the use is (in addition to 2 factor authentification).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have used RoboForm for many years. It updates regularly.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I like Keepass since I am a bit wary of storing passwords online.
If you get the portable version you can easily make backup copies as well.

Reactions: John Connor

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
It is probably fine for many people as long as you use a strong master password. Although I would be wary about the sync feature.

However, managers have a lot more good features such as the ability to generate long, random pwds with certain criteria, and you also have the ability to store passwords for things that are not accessed via the browser such as windows logons.

What is wrong with the password manager built into Firefox? That syncs up to all your other firefox browser devices as well...

Dec 19, 2003
I used Lastpass, until they were hacked. Then I went back to remembering all my passwords.

At work we have a subscription to RoboForms, everyone seems to love that one.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
What is wrong with the password manager built into Firefox? That syncs up to all your other firefox browser devices as well...
They've had a couple of security vulnerabilities in the past. Can't think of anything recent though. Plus I just don't want that type of info stored on a machine I don't own. It would probably be fine for non-financial or sensitive use.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use KeePass(and variants), and I store notes and other small bits of data unrelated to the web. A general password manager is more versatile than a browser based solution.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wanted something web based and not cloud based and could not find much, so I wrote my own. It's kinda crude but works. Has different categories and stuff. Uses php/mysql and AES-256 to encrypt the info. Nice thing is I can access it from anywhere that I can VPN into my house from.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I use Keepass and back up the database by compressing it to an encrypted SFX archive with 7Z and then store that in the cloud. Actually three of them. I also store a copy updated on a DVD/RW in my fireproof safe as well. Yeah, the database is already encrypted with AES 256, but I don't see any harm in archiving it in another encrypted container such as SFX. It's just a point and click.

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
keepass. can store more or less anything as long as the text is not too long, does not have to be only passwords. i keep backups of the database all over the place.

even my wife likes it.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Yeah, that's one thing I also like about Keepass. I keep a backup of the temp codes for Google in case my two-factor messes up or I lose my phone or something. Even have Twitter back up codes stored in Keepass.