Who makes the best gtx 670?

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Gigabyte windforce. Asus doesn't even have a proper vrm/memory cooling solution on the dcii.

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GV-N6...pr_product_top

is this the one your talking about? And is it worth what amazon is actually charging (i know they price gouge when something is really in demand).

For 470 bucks, Im almost in gtx680 price range.

EDIT: I think this is the same card for 400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125423
better than the ftw edition?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I think MSI's twin frozr cooler is the best of the vendor-custom cooling solutions. AND, on top of that, MSI PE gtx 670 should have voltage control on the next afterburner release. But if you want something that will exhaust all of the heat out of the case, then neither gigabyte's nor MSI's custom heatsink & fans will work for you. In that case, the EVGA FTW would be what you want.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I think MSI's twin frozr cooler is the best of the vendor-custom cooling solutions. AND, on top of that, MSI PE gtx 670 should have voltage control on the next afterburner release. But if you want something that will exhaust all of the heat out of the case, then neither gigabyte's nor MSI's custom heatsink & fans will work for you. In that case, the EVGA FTW would be what you want.
this one?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127685
do i want the air out the back?? My case is pretty cool. I have a P280, and only a modest OC on my cpu for now.

arghhh too many to choose from now!

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
this one?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127685
do i want the air out the back?? My case is pretty cool. I have a P280, and only a modest OC on my cpu for now.

arghhh too many to choose from now!

Yep, that is the one. If your case has at least ok airflow, then an open air cooling solution, such as the one on this card, is not an issue. I have it, I can attest to it's cool operation under load, and several MSI reps have said the next version of afterburner will support unlocked core and memory voltage adjustments for those of us who like to overclock.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Yep, that is the one. If your case has at least ok airflow, then an open air cooling solution, such as the one on this card, is not an issue.

im confused though - whats the disadvantage to blowing air out the back? wouldn't that be the most optimal solution?

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
im confused though - whats the disadvantage to blowing air out the back? wouldn't that be the most optimal solution?

Generally noise since air has to be focused through the back. That and out-the-rear solutions typically only have 1 fan, so it probably needs to spin faster as well.

Some cards do it well, though. I think Sapphire made a good card for the AMD 6xxx series with a rear blower. Typically louder, however.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com

Generally noise since air has to be focused through the back. That and out-the-rear solutions typically only have 1 fan, so it probably needs to spin faster as well.
Some cards do it well, though.Typically louder, however.

This is all correct. A single fan, blower solution needs to work harder than two open-air fans, and will be less effective at cooling and/or louder.

DrBoss

Feb 23, 2011
Yep, that is the one. If your case has at least ok airflow, then an open air cooling solution, such as the one on this card, is not an issue. I have it, I can attest to it's cool operation under load, and several MSI reps have said the next version of afterburner will support unlocked core and memory voltage adjustments for those of us who like to overclock.

Agreed, the MSI 670 PE is a beast. I am putting it through it's paces right now. Cool, quite, fast.

AE-Ruffy

Apr 15, 2012

disadvantage is if you already have a pressurized case and don't account for the blower it could d-pressurize it, meaning your temps might rise, dust might find its way in easier.

Also blowers tend to not cool the card as well compared to open air muli fan coolers. But personally i'd rather dump the cards excess heat, along with case air out the back instead of just pushing it around, sure my vid card stays a bit cooler with say the Asus/MSI/WIndforce, but my system overall is cooler with a blower.

Take all im saying with a grain of salt, i've never tested it.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I have no problems with my blower style FTW edition. My temperatures reach 70 - 72 during benchmarking. It is pretty quiet, the sound it makes is at a frequency that is not bad at all - similar to an air foil sound.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
debating between these two: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E14-130-787-TS

I was set on getting the ftw until today, when i noticed the Asus has higher clock speeds.

Which has a better cooler? warranty? etc?

Any other card i should be looking at?

That Asus card has had stability issues. This is a response from Asus:
Manufacturer Response:

Dear Valued Customer,

I apologize for the confusion with your packaging. Please try the updated VBIOS from the Asus website: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/#download to see if you get more stability. If you still encounter issues please contact me at cl-jeremy@asus.com (ref#1043-1964). Thank you.

Regards,
Jeremy
ASUS Customer Loyalty

The "updated bios" he is referring to is to reduce clocks. Also, flashing a video card bios is not for the uninitiated. Done wrong and you can brick your card making it unusable. Unless you can be certain this problem has been fixed, and I don't know how you can, I would steer clear. Unless you are comfortable with bios flashing a video card. Besides, buying it for the higher clocks and then having to flash it to reduce clocks is counterproductive, to put it mildly.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
From what I have seen really, most of the cards boost pretty close to the same amount. I am boosting to 1267 currently with my FTW. 6300 memory. I have not finished messing with it but I probably wont do much more anyway. I am pretty pleased with it.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Gigabyte windforce. Asus doesn't even have a proper vrm/memory cooling solution on the dcii.

Is the "Gigabyte Windforce" the same as the "Gigabyte OC"? They look exactly the same but some sites call it "windforce" while others call it "OC".:p

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Zotac!

Nyt_ZOTAC_GeForce_GTX_670_TwinCooler_grafikkort.jpg

Because I love this tiny super card haha!

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

What? They both use the same type of cooling. Heatsinks on the VRM and memory (they both have sinks) with dual/triple fans cooling it with multiple heatpipes for the gpu itself. The gigabyte has...guess what....heatsinks on vrm and memory with triple fans.

There is nothing radically different between aftermarket coolers other than size, number of heatpipes, and number/rpm of fans - Both cards cool the VRM / memory *exactly* the same. The asus has more power phases than the gigabyte. Not saying gigabyte is bad, its a great card but your statement is not correct.

Last edited: