Who listens to Black/Death Metal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Matthew Barlow (singer of Iced Earth) Id have to say is the best singer that I know of :)

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
I dont know what kind of message there trying to send to people...lol...I just like the music, and no I dont worship Satan or anything lol

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What's a song that show's his good singing side?

I'm all excited now, I'm VERY open to new music.. Before I discovered Metallica, my favorite band was Simon and Garfunkel. :) I thrive on music.. I'm always into hearing new stuff, it's almost saddening to me that I don't like most of it..

Damn, He can sing good. Just not the same to me as Hetfield though.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Iced Earth - Melancholy
Iced Earth - Watching Over Me
Iced Earth - Consequences
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno

BTW, Iced Earth isnt black metal; its "Power Metal"

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Eli - check out Fear Factory if you haven't already.

Any song off of Obsolute rocks. If you for anything off of Soul of a New Machine, it's going to be a little "darker"

Fear Factory has been my favorite metal band for about two years now.

I've seen them in concert three times, and I'm cranked for their new album later this year.

Oh yeah - look up some machine head, another very good, but overlooked band

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hell yeah! I got a Live version of Dante's Inferno, this kicks ass! :)

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
What kind of message do they send? As wide as you would find in any other genre of music. Some are satanic, some of them to the point of being funny. Some write about dark, depressing subjects. Some, like Cannibal Corpse, just write about violence and killing. They admit that their most of their lyrics don't have a ton of lyrical signifcance. Opeth is probably the closest thing you'll find to "normal" lyrics. Nile has some creative ones incorporating ancient Egyptian mythology and religion.

And no, I am not a satanist.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Many of these groups just fall under the generic label of "pagan". In fact, many groups are wicken, among other practices.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Yeah, I agree with you about Nile, they are great (and there from USA believe it or not), I really like the way they base their music on Ancient Egyptian stuff instead of violence and killing. BTW, did you get their new album Black Seeds of Vengance yet?

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Have not had a chance to grab it yet... waiting to order that, the new Dying Fetus, and a few other new ones together all in one shot.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Ive had it for a month or 2 now (got the promo :) But its in MP3 format...you wouldnt believe how many MP3's i've got ;)

Blackened

Oct 24, 2000
What the hell? Newsted is AWESOME on bass. He's not cliff, but damn close.

No bass players here, sigh.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Newsted is OK, but nothing great. There are a lot of bassists who I enjoy more , though. Part of it is that the recent Metallica songs are pretty bland. If he was in a band with cooler songs I'd probably have more respect for him. But as it is now he hangs out with those greaseballs Lars and Kirk ;)

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
I love Opeth... they have a new album out in Febuary. I went to the Miluakee Metal Fest and i was the metal director for my college radio station for 4 years. Needless to say, i'm a fan and have heard almost every band on your list. I just got the new Nevermore too. I can't even count how many shows i've been too. I'm going to see Morbid Angel Nov. 17 in Rochester at the Penny Arcade, i can't freaking wait!!! I've seen them before but it's always a good time. I'm glad my girlfriend loves metal too. She's more into the gothier metal but it's all good to me. I have an Iced Earth Melancholy ep that's hand numbered... limited i guess, it's cool. I saw them play with Jag Panzer. Too cool.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Hmm cool I didnt know Morbid Angel was going to the penny arcade; I live in Rochester so I might as well go...Im gonna see Overkill there also...

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I'm not into it, but a buddy of mine made some Dark Metal and put it up on MP3.com.

DESALIN is the name of the project. check it out, you can download it or listen to streaming audio.

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
Yah ICSVortex, they're going to the Penny Arcade. They played there a few years ago too. I'll be the one wearing a black leather jacket, lol!!! Click --->. Morbid Tours