Who listens to Black/Death Metal?

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Does anyone on this board(other than me) listen to Black/Death Metal(and some Power, Melodic Death Metal)? Heres some of the bands im talking about:

Averse Sefira
Abigor
And Oceans
Bathory
Bolt Thrower
Benecidction
Borknagar
Burzum
Cannibal Corpse
Mayhem
Covenant
Cradle of Filth
Dark Tranquility
In Flames
Iced Earth
Dimmu Borgir
Demons & Wizards
Emperor
Enslaved
Satyricon
Immortal
Opeth
Venom
Samael
Ancient
Dark Funeral
Death
Deicide
My Dying Bride
Marduk
Mortiis
Nile
Obtained Enslavement
Old Mans Child
Therion
Rotting Christ
Thorns
Tristania
Vader
The Sins of Thy Beloved
Setherial
Mactatus
Abruptum
Absu
Absurd
The Abyss
The Black
Angelcorpse
Arcturus
Auzhia
Behemoth
Beherit
Belial
Blasphemy
Blazemth
Blood
Cultus Sanguine
DarkThrone
Dawn
Deinonychius
Demonic
Dissection
Eucharist
Gorgoroth
Graveland
Grotesque
Havohej
Hades
Hellhammer
Ildjarn
Impaled Nazarene
Infernum
Inquisition
Katatonia
Kvist
Merciless
Mysticum
Necromantia
Niden Div 187
Of the Fallen
Ophthalamia
Pervertum
Resuscitator
Rotting Christ
Sacramentum
Sarcofago
Septic Flesh
Setherial
Sodom
Sort Vokter
Summon
Summoning
Swordmaster
Tartaros
Throne of Ahaz
Ulver
Usurper
Varathron
Zyklon-B
Morbid Angel
ManoWar

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Are you sure you got all of them? ;)

I don't particularly care for them, but thanks to Napalm381 I get to hear it a lot :)
You two should get together ;)

I do like Opeth though, and the video to Cradle of Filth's "From Cradle to the Enslave" is pretty sweet.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Opeth is a great band. Cradle of Filth's "From the Cradle to Enslave" music video is gross but cool.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
No not really, well other than seeing Slayer and Venom at the whisky-a-go-go in 1985. :p

SHUX

AngelOfDeath

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000
Yes I listen to Black-, Death-, Trash-, Speedmetal and whatever metal's out there. But I also enjoys listening to Techno, Dance, Pop, Classic.

AoD ;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Rotting Christ, Death, My Dying Bride, Impaled Nazarene, Enslaved, Dark Funeral.

Wow, that really sounds like some bad s*it.

Sep 30, 2000
What, no Willie Nelson? :eek:

Maybe he should start a band Willie and the Bloody Maggot Rotting Corpse Band.

That would sell.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Comment taken back.. You're right, I should have listened to some of it before I made such a blanket statement.

AngelOfDeath

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000
Eli: I have to agree on the part with the solos. Often they do things so fast that the solo looses its grip. But okey they do so fast so who gives a F...

AoD ;)

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I've never heard any of those groups. What do they sound like? Metal with death lyrics? I suppose I could hit Napster and grab some mp3s. Someone post some good songs.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Its kinda hard to explain what they sound like; youd have to download some songs and find out yourself. Most BlackMetal bands are Satanic tho, so if you dont like that then dont download the music ;). Its very fast, loud guitars, a whole sh*tload of drums going and a whole lot of it is melodic. The singers in BlackMetal bands sound weird, most have very high voices and very low voices at the same time...lol. DeathMetal is growling and most of that is sick, with gutted bodies and stuff. If you want a song to try out BlackMetal, I'd get basicly any marduk song, for death metal, download any Cannibal Corpse or Deicide song(for the gross stuff), My Dying Bride or Benedicton for the other kind, Melodic Death Metal - get In Flames, Power Metal - Id have to say Iced Earth, and TechnoBlackMetal(lol) - Newer Samael Albums. Venom is more like Motorhead...

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Also try some Opeth - it's not as heavy and dark as the other stuff. Kinda nice and relaxing compared to the other bands ICSVortex has listed ;)

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
I'll take any Metallica song over any one of those band's songs, anyday. Even new Metallica.

I'd like to be impressed and proven wrong, though. Name a song that shows *some* talent, I'll listen..

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Opeth - Demon of The Fall
Opeth - The Amen Corner
Demons&Wizards - Path of Glory
Demons&Wizards - Blood On My Hands
In Flames - Ordinary Story
Iced Earth - A Question of Heaven
Iced Earth - Dantes Inferno
Cradle of Filth - From the Cradle to Enslave

And a whole bunch more.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Take my "talent" comment with nothing behind it, I acknowledge that all bands have talent, they're very good at what they do.. I'd just like to hear something other than no-direction gutar/drumming, lyrics that either make no sense or are satanic(To me that's just stupid), and most of all, a singer that can actually scream worth a damn. Heh.

You must care somewhat, or you wouldn't be asking peoples Opinions. Like I said, all the death/black metal I've heard has been the same ole crap. You can't even headbang to it.

I'll get some of those songs and report back. :)

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, Okay. Opeth sounds cool. Except his singing. But the guitar is cool. I like harmonized guitars like that. Btw, the one I'm listening to is My Arms Your Hearse. I'm getting some others.

Cool. I'll have to take some of my opinions on the genere back. But I still don't like the singing. Nobody can scream-sing like Hetfield, that I've heard anyway.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< Black metal and death metal are stupid. Name one band that can do anything besides masturbate with the guitar. I've never even heard of most of those bands, and I'd be willing to bet they all suck. I doubt any of them can sing. I doubt any of them have any good lyrics. I doubt any of them can do anything but do the same 16th note drum beat, and I doubt none of them have one guitar solo that's worth listening to. >>

Soooooooooooo, you have never really listened to the music, but are quite confident that it all sucks. Hypocrite. I've heard all the Metallica songs, and many of the bands listed above (Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Opeth, Vader, Death, Deicide, Nile are my favorites from the list) and I can tell you that most of the music is technically superior to Metallica's. Deicide, while quite offensive lyrically, is also extremely technically demanding. It's very fast, but also very clean and very well written. Opeth has some of the most creative song structures I've ever heard, plus great instruments. Cannibal Corpse has Alex Webster, who kicks Jason Newsted's ASS on the bass guitar. Death has Gene Hoglan, widely acknowledged to be one of the best, arguably THE best, metal drummer in existance. Doc from Vader has the fastest hands I've ever heard, he does the fastest and cleanest blast beats I've ever heard. All of the drummers from the bands above put Lars Ulrich to shame. Lars rarely does anything besides your basic 4/4 and 3/4 time signatures.

Most people think Metallica is so awesome technically...until they hear some metal that is faster, tighter, and more original. Shut your mouth until you've studied the other bands.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oh my goodness...somebody besides me has heard of Manowar :Q I saw them last year playing at a whole in the wall bar in Clinton, Iowa. Six Feet Under was with them.

Morbid Angel - God of Emptiness is one kick ass song! Probably my favorite by them.

As far as Iced Earth - you'd have to kick me in jimmy to get me to sing that high. Sheesh! That guy can hit a higher octave than tiney spears.

I can tolerate death metal, but it's just a little too - &quot;abstract&quot; for my liking.

About the most &quot;death metal&quot; that I go is Fear Factory's first album.

It has some death metal/black metal similarities to it.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Okay, I am now offically impressed.

Although, this In Flames song, Question of Heaven, isn't very black-metal like. :)

Oops, It got better. :)

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Napalm- More original than Metallica? Huh. Have any of these bands been around since or prior to 1983? :)

Jason isn't that great a bass player. He can play, that's about it. Cliff, on the other hand..

I don't consider Lars to be the best drummer..

I do consider James to be the best singer/rhythm guitar player, though.

And I'd like to hear a guitar solo like any one of Hammett's.

I'm completely open, as you've seen, I actually like a couple of these songs. :) show me the way, master..

What're some good songs from the bands you listed? Vader, etc?

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Since when does age does imply originality? That's nonsense. Metallica was quite creative in their early days, relative to what was in existance at the time, I agree. But now they just push out the same tired old song structure with different riffs and lyrics. I still think that many of the bands listed are quite a bit more creative than Metallica. If we include non-death/black metal bands, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Coalesce deserve some credit for some seriously complex rhythms in their songs.

As for a guitar solo similar to Hammetts, then the issue of personal preference makes it a lot more difficult to judge. Hammett's good, I agree. But I prefer the faster stylings of Deicide and Cannibal Corpse.

For Hetfields yelling, it's ok but nothing special. I prefer a deeper voice though. Glen Benton of Deicide has some seriously scary roars, and he's actually singing with his diaphragm, not his throat as many other death bands.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Napalm- Oops, I took what you said in the wrong way. I thought you meant original as in their sound, or hmm.. their crunch and stuff. Their style. I don't know, but yes, i can understand what you're saying.

I also agree on your &quot;now&quot; comment, Metallica has grown old, for lack of a better term. They still put out some good tunes, though. Still unique to themselves, no other rock band does the same..

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
it you dont mind answering...

What kind of message are they trying to send to people?
oh and, are you satanic?
just wondering =/