Who listened to Jim Rome today? Simeon Rice shows his true colors . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jlind23
OK, I didn't here the talk show so I don't know how much of a hole Simeon dug himself into, but from this comment I read about, what did he really say that was demeaning to Tillman or his decision to join the Rangers.

"He really wasn't that good, not really,'' Rice told Rome. "Money is not everything. He really wasn't good enough to start in the NFL. Hell no. He was good enough to play in Arizona, (but) that's just like the XFL.''

Was there really any mistruth to this. People have made fun of Cardinal's/Bengal's (insert your local crappy team) players for years. Tillman wasn't that good from what I've seen of him, but since the Card's are as bad as they are they were still gonna give him a salary in the 3 Millions.

I respect Tillman's decision to support his country, but why should he be highlighted anymore than the average 18 year old kid that enters the military to support our country.

Tillman was a good, but not great player. The St. Louis Rams offered him a 3 year, 3 million dollar contract - the Cards offered him much the same.

Mandrill

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
Originally posted by: X-Man
Originally posted by: jlind23
OK, I didn't here the talk show so I don't know how much of a hole Simeon dug himself into, but from this comment I read about, what did he really say that was demeaning to Tillman or his decision to join the Rangers.

"He really wasn't that good, not really,'' Rice told Rome. "Money is not everything. He really wasn't good enough to start in the NFL. Hell no. He was good enough to play in Arizona, (but) that's just like the XFL.''

Was there really any mistruth to this. People have made fun of Cardinal's/Bengal's (insert your local crappy team) players for years. Tillman wasn't that good from what I've seen of him, but since the Card's are as bad as they are they were still gonna give him a salary in the 3 Millions.

I respect Tillman's decision to support his country, but why should he be highlighted anymore than the average 18 year old kid that enters the military to support our country.

Tillman was a good, but not great player. The St. Louis Rams offered him a 3 year, 3 million dollar contract - the Cards offered him much the same.

He was only highlighted in sports news. Why? Because it was a sports news item. How is it different than the average 18 year old entering? On most levels it's not. But on one hand, it is sports news worthy because a player left the league to serve his country when no one else in the league (that I've heard of) has and because the guy walked away from 3 mill to do so. The average 18 year old isn't looking at that kind of money nor does the average 18 have a career yet. I respect both for their service but one is more "news worthy" than the other.

After 9/11 I looked into joining up myself. I'm 31, still young enough to do so at least for the reserves. But having had at the time a wife and two young children, and all the bills that go with it, I couldn't afford to do so, not without having my family homeless. So I envy the guy for being in the position to be able to do it.