Who listened to Jim Rome today? Simeon Rice shows his true colors . . .

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Did you hear Simeon Rice make an absolute ASS of himself?

More and more, professional sports is beginning to disgust me. You have a guy making millions of bucks of year denigrating a guy who is putting his life on the line to defend our country. Truly disgusting.

EDIT . . .

Here's a little background . . .

AZ Central Article

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I did my part. I did'nt watch the supebowl commercials.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: xuanman
what did he say?

Kind of a long story.

Former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman declined to sign a $3 million dollar contract with the team to join the Army Rangers. He and his brother both passed through the program with flying colors and could now be deployed at a moments notice to the war in Iraq.

Simeon Rice, formerly of the Cardinals, was interviewed by Jim Rome and had nothing positive to say about Pat Tillman, saying that it was a good thing that he left the NFL because he was a crappy player (average to above average, but not crappy, IMO), etc., etc. Romey was stunned, and kept trying to throw Simeon a chance to save himself, but he never really took the chance.

For the rest of the show the clones were annihalting Simeon via E-mail and phone.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: X-Man
Originally posted by: xuanman
what did he say?

Kind of a long story.

Former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman declined to sign a $3 million dollar contract with the team to join the Army Rangers. He and his brother both passed through the program with flying colors and could now be deployed at a moments notice to the war in Iraq.

Simeon Rice, formerly of the Cardinals, was interviewed by Jim Rome and had nothing positive to say about Pat Tillman, saying that it was a good thing that he left the NFL because he was a crappy player (average to above average, but not crappy, IMO), etc., etc. Romey was stunned, and kept trying to throw Simeon a chance to save himself, but he never really took the chance.

For the rest of the show the clones were annihalting Simeon via E-mail and phone.
I sure as hell wouldn't join the military and pass up $3 million doing so, but you have to admire the motivations behind somebody who would that's for sure.

dreamer

Oct 9, 1999
Yeah it pissed me off too. Rice had many chances to acknowledge Tillman's decision to join the military and serve our country, but he has honed in on the fact that he was not a great/good football player.

In the end he kinda acknowledged it, but it was too late.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dreamer
Yeah it pissed me off too. Rice had many chances to acknowledge Tillman's decision to join the military and serve our country, but he has honed in on the fact that he was not a great/good football player.

Tillman is a Giant amongst men and Rice is just a football player. That's all that needs to be said

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Local media, of course, interviewed some current Cardinal players who were teammates of Rice about the situation. The best response came from linebacker Zach Walz.

"He was the worst run-stopping defensive end I've ever seen...he was constantly ducking blocks, swimming blocks...missing assignments. He made it very hard for us to play defense.... call Rob (Frederickson) and Ron (McKinnon) and they'll tell you the same thing."

It's true, too. Simeon Rice wasn't that great for the Cards. But put him on a team with great defensive players like the Bucs, and he plays well. Having Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp around will do that. That in itself isn't the reason the team let him go; it was his prick-like behavior . . . that obviously seems to continue to this day. ;)

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Tillman is a Giant amongst men and Rice is just a football player. That's all that needs to be said

Damn straight.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: X-Man
Update!

Simeon Rice is a f@cktard anyway.

The 2 best lines from the latest article......

.....If we can step into the frightening void that is Simeon Rice's mind...

.....When word of Rice's outburst reached the Cardinals complex, one team official put it succinctly:

"Who would you rather have in your foxhole: Pat Tillman or Simeon Rice?''.....

:D

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
Who in the hell would name their kid Simeon? (rhymes with simian)

That moron mouthing off about a man willing to die for his country is a disgrace to humanity. He sucks.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: friedpie
Who in the hell would name their kid Simeon? (rhymes with simian)

That moron mouthing off about a man willing to die for his country is a disgrace to humanity. He sucks.

heheh i always thought he was ape-ish

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
What an A**! My opinion of professional athletes dropped a few notches once again, and it wasn't very high to start with....:disgust:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I hope the mentally impaired fscktard just realized he became one of the most disliked Athletes in the country with his ill thought out comments.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Jmman
What an A**! My opinion of professional athletes dropped a few notches once again, and it wasn't very high to start with....:disgust:

But shouldn't it be balanced out by Tillman's show of valor and character? I'm not defending Rice or anything, but I'd say that on average, pro athletes are just like everyone else. Some are good, some are bad, most are average.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
what a fvcking idiot.

on a side note, isn't the training and screening process to become a Ranger super hard? i honestly don't know much about it.

Mucho props to Pat Tilman for deciding honor is more important buying Escalades.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

But shouldn't it be balanced out by Tillman's show of valor and character? I'm not defending Rice or anything, but I'd say that on average, pro athletes are just like everyone else. Some are good, some are bad, most are average.

I agree. I've never understood why people think they should all be model citizens. They're just regular people who excel at a sport. There's assholes in every profession, doctors, lawyers and the idiot who flips the burgers. PEOPLE are assholes. Not just athletes.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
I'm just waiting to see if this makes the sports news nationally... yet another case of a arrogant dumb@$$ f-tard that's a "winner" in pro sports. The league should fine him and suspend him for excessive use of stupidity.

Consider if people throw temper tantrums and such at fans & officials, shouldn't they be also held responsible for misrepresenting the league? Well, mebbe not but it's ironic how the nation's freedoms protect this f-tard's right to say that crap. And Tillman's the one doing it... suck on that Simian. :|

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, I have met many professional athletes, and some of them are good, but it seems like the majority of younger athletes are as******. That is only one man's opinion though. I think Tillman is definitely the exception, not the rule......

jlind23

Apr 9, 2001
OK, I didn't here the talk show so I don't know how much of a hole Simeon dug himself into, but from this comment I read about, what did he really say that was demeaning to Tillman or his decision to join the Rangers.

"He really wasn't that good, not really,'' Rice told Rome. "Money is not everything. He really wasn't good enough to start in the NFL. Hell no. He was good enough to play in Arizona, (but) that's just like the XFL.''

Was there really any mistruth to this. People have made fun of Cardinal's/Bengal's (insert your local crappy team) players for years. Tillman wasn't that good from what I've seen of him, but since the Card's are as bad as they are they were still gonna give him a salary in the 3 Millions.

I respect Tillman's decision to support his country, but why should he be highlighted anymore than the average 18 year old kid that enters the military to support our country.

Daxxax

Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

I agree. I've never understood why people think they should all be model citizens. They're just regular people who excel at a sport. There's assholes in every profession, doctors, lawyers and the idiot who flips the burgers. PEOPLE are assholes. Not just athletes.

True, but when one is on a National Radio Program you would think even the Assholes would have enough common sense to not say something so stupid.