Who Likes Kimchi?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rahul

Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Originally posted by: AgentUnknown
I like how white ppl complain about things being too spicy...

Kind of like Asian people complaining about things being too bland. :p I liked Indian food the first week I had it, but by the 2nd week it all tasted the same. You can't taste the flavor of the original ingredients because its smothered in spices.

I'll take it you've never eaten Indian food, then.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
I like about 70% of it. Some of the seafood ones, I am not brave enough for (I will eat candied dried crabs, fish, and shrimp all day long - but put them in KimChi and I start worrying about refrigeration).

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
My Japanese girlfriend likes Kimchi a lot, but I've never had it :(

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
a sampling of the variety of kimchi.

pic was from national folk museum in seoul....blurry coz can't focus through the thick display glass.

gahhh I wish I went in... I was outside the museum and decided to go visit somewhere else ><

dannybek

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Darthvoy
it looks too gross to me and it smells like sewer water. Maybe one day I'll try it.

Probably the most disgusting Korean food was something called ChungukChun. It's fermented soybean soup, but it smells like sh!t.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: dannybek
it looks too gross to me and it smells like sewer water. Maybe one day I'll try it.

Probably the most disgusting Korean food was something called ChungukChun. It's fermented soybean soup, but it smells like sh!t.

They have something similar in Japan and I gagged when I smelled that when I worked at a sushi joint.

Originally posted by: Juno

isn't that a korean salad with various of vegetables?

i'm korean myself but i hardly memorize the korean language.

I officially declare you a twinkie (or a banana).

TTM77

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2002
Originally posted by: kumanchu
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: Rastus
A crew of Korean contractors had a pot luck of kinchi and sushi in my office one day. When I walked in at noon, the whole place smelled horrible, I almost gagged. They offered me some, so I tried it just to be polite.

That stuff rocked, ten minutes later I had lost all dignity and was shovelling it in with both hands.

LoL. I think it smells better than it tastes personally. To me it's ok. I like other Korean stuff more like Bi Bim Bop or Bulgogi..

bi bim bop is literally translated as "mixed rice". usually it has various veggies, a fried egg, sometimes some grilled meat, and a bit of hot pepper sauce served on top of rice.

i like that too. i'm korean myself, and i speak the korean language.

Tried that Bi-Bim-Bop on the Korean air many times. A little to blend for me. A Korean woman even showed me how to eat it.

Gunther

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Dacalo

They have something similar in Japan and I gagged when I smelled that when I worked at a sushi joint.

WTF, I love how kimchi and doenjang chigae(I think this is the fermented soup you are talking about) smell. I guess you get used to it when you grow up on it.

dds14u

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
I love all types of kimchi and actually prefer it when it's sour and pungent.

I also love the smell...mmm

Perhaps this is an acquired taste.

Stinky Tofu or Bittermelon anyone?

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Gunther

WTF, I love how kimchi and doenjang chigae(I think this is the fermented soup you are talking about) smell. I guess you get used to it when you grow up on it.

I grew up eatting kimchi and denjang as well, but this was... different.

When I was younger, I hated cheese due to its smell, made me gag, but I eat cheese now.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: TTM77
Originally posted by: kumanchu
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: Rastus
A crew of Korean contractors had a pot luck of kinchi and sushi in my office one day. When I walked in at noon, the whole place smelled horrible, I almost gagged. They offered me some, so I tried it just to be polite.

That stuff rocked, ten minutes later I had lost all dignity and was shovelling it in with both hands.

LoL. I think it smells better than it tastes personally. To me it's ok. I like other Korean stuff more like Bi Bim Bop or Bulgogi..

bi bim bop is literally translated as "mixed rice". usually it has various veggies, a fried egg, sometimes some grilled meat, and a bit of hot pepper sauce served on top of rice.

i like that too. i'm korean myself, and i speak the korean language.

Tried that Bi-Bim-Bop on the Korean air many times. A little to blend for me. A Korean woman even showed me how to eat it.

the trick is to use a LOT of the pepper paste they give you or else it is very bland. i ordered it once but since i'm not a spicy food fan i was very cautious with how much i put in, and it did taste kinda bland but i still enjoyed it.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Dacalo

lol that's what every friend of mine calls me. i accept the fact i'm a twinkie. i refuse to date any asian girls unless i'm convinced. call me a twinkie surfer, i surf at jersey waves.

is that too much for you?

my younger brother is semi fluent in korean while i'm uber n00b at it. go and check at-wiki.com where you'll not see my name under korean language section. :p