Who killed the electric car?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
There are a lot of things that are debatable in that movie. Here's what isn't:

- Oil companies are against electric cars. Big surprise. This will change when oil truly becomes scarce, but until then, anyone that thinks that an industry won't attempt to maintain their superiority is kidding themselves. The fact is, if there weren't any problems with electric cars, the oil industry wouldn't be able to stop their proliferation.

- The 90-mile thing is a deal-breaker IMO. That being said, with the many technologies that I can think of that would help increase that battery power, it could get better. If they can make an electric car that can go for 17 hours (all but the 8 hours you need to sleep with an hour extra of cushion built in), they will overcome much of this limitation. Until then, it isn't viable for people like me.

- It's not a big deal that GM trashed the cars. As was said before, they don't want to keep inventories of all the parts that it would take to service these cars in the future. It's not worth it. I work at a company where this type of thing is an issue, and I understand it well.

- Do you all realize you HAVE to own a home. Where are you going to power up if you live in an apartment? I, like many other people in America, don't own a home. In fact, in cities like LA and SF where smog is the biggest problem, a far greater percentage of people don't own a home. I see this as a bigger problem than many others.

- Even if my travel was only 80 miles one-way, I would have to have a charger at the other location. Plus, if the person I go to already has a vehicle or two powering up, how can I power up my vehicle. Does nobody see the problem with that? Can you imagine what an issue that would be? If not, really think about it. Plus, like with my last problem, what if the person I'm VISITING lives just 50 miles away and lives in an apartment. Sorry friend, I can never visit because my car would die on the way back since I can't charge up at your place.

- People won't change unless you make them. The government has GOT to step in and force people and car companies to change in order to make a difference. This is where the biggest blame lies, in my mind. All of these things we talk about (the "need" to drive x miles, the lack of charging stations, etc.) could be changed if the government said tomorrow, "You know what, we can't do this forever, so we're going to make a law that says it has to end soon." This country needs to change its fundamental mindset in order for these technologies to take off. People - especially Americans - expect to have choices to do whatever they want, and most don't consider the long-term consequences.

- FORCE (laws) or NEED (ice caps melting more and sinking parts of coastal cities) are the only things that will get Americans to accept changes like this.