Who killed the electric car?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
mankind is not intelligent enough to make a more efficient car than what runs on oil-fuel,
either that or he is complicit in his lack of efficiency

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Indeed. Electric cars simply cannot compete with gasoline in terms of mobility, and that's a problem for a lot of people.

in terms of mobility? wtf does that mean?

Electric cars are fast, quiet, & accelerate exceedingly rapidly. How is that for mobility.

Range is around 250 miles at the moment. Battery technology is improving all the time, tho.

It means exactly what it means. Let's say you wanted to drive across the country. With a gasoline car, that's not a problem, since you can stop anywhere, anytime, and fill up on fuel within minutes. That isn't possible in an electric car due to recharging times. Even driving short distances, the ability to instantly refuel is a big selling point for gasoline cars.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
What killed the electric car:

An electric car can be as fast as a gas powered car.
An electric car can be as cheap as a gas powered car.
An electric car can go as far as a gas powered car.
An electric car can NOT do all three at once.

Electric cars take much longer to recharge.
Electric cars have large expensive battery packs with 5 year lifespans. (which can be fairly hazardous)
Electric cars STILL NEED power plants to generate the electricity. (meaning, the zero emmission cars still cause pollution)

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Indeed. Electric cars simply cannot compete with gasoline in terms of mobility, and that's a problem for a lot of people.
if given the time to mature, im sure they could have, but the initial investment for GM was EXTREME.
No, they wouldn't have. There's no way to transfer the kind of energy that it takes to power the car for 150-200 miles in a practical amount of time for an electric vehicle. At 110 volts, you'd need a 30,000 amp line to recharge in 5 minutes. Do you plan to hook your car up directly to the power company's generator every time you need a recharge? Do you really want to pull into a charging station on a rainy day and play with 30,000 amps?

ZV

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
One thing to note:
If GM had sold the EV1 as a profit making car instead of leasing them for PR, they would have cost $80,000

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
No, they wouldn't have. There's no way to transfer the kind of energy that it takes to power the car for 150-200 miles in a practical amount of time for an electric vehicle. At 110 volts, you'd need a 30,000 amp line to recharge in 5 minutes. Do you plan to hook your car up directly to the power company's generator every time you need a recharge? Do you really want to pull into a charging station on a rainy day and play with 30,000 amps?

ZV

Do I want to play with 30,000 amps? :D

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Actually you could replace all of the cars in North America with electric cars be completely foreign oil independant and not have to add any more power generating capacity if you just got rid of light pollution and either got rid of a lot of waste lighting or B changed to CPF's and other effecient technologies. . .

Having vehicles charge at night nicely balances the load of power generation where plants can operate at peak effeciency instead of always meeting grid spikes and then shutting down due to load drops.

Environmentally the electric car is way simpler and more effecient than any gasoline vehicle and any existing hurdles will be solved over the next few yrs.
Bottome line is there definately is a market for Electric cars and you will be seeing them everywhere sooner rather than later
Chinese electric Smart cars coming to a theatre near you!

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
if given the time to mature, im sure they could have, but the initial investment for GM was EXTREME.

ZV

i have minor nitpick in that the rain/electrocution doesn't really come into play with inductive charging unit/paddle. It uses magnetic fields without any open contacts.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
One thing to note:
If GM had sold the EV1 as a profit making car instead of leasing them for PR, they would have cost $80,000

cost kind of depends if we're talking 1996 dollars, or today.

Particularly for today, 80K for a highly limited production car isn't so incredibly expensive, the first/early hybrids (insight/prius) probably weren't that much cheaper to manufacture, honda/toyo just took a straight loss on the early models to develop the technology.

The cars/technology isn't that inherently expensive, just that the parts are all low volume. If you start scaling up to 500K units like accord/camrys i'm sure the cost to manufacture would be about the same as common gasoline cars.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: OS
besides the 150 mile range and 8 hr refill?

For most people that would work 90%+ of the time.

I work less then 10miles form my house and I sleep/don;t drive at least 8 hours a day. When I go shopping I drive much less then 150 miles.

Almost everyone I know who has a car has taken it on at least one extended road trip - this car would be completely unsuitable for long distance travel.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Pirvate airplanes and motorcycles are also 'unsuitable for travel' lots of times yet there are many of those?
Would be perfect for us as a two car family!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
lousy film. the guy is a true believer, he isn't really going to like the cold hard facts. the thing wasnt read in the 90s and still isn't ready today. the only viable electric car today seems to run for 80k, yes its a sports car but its easier to do anything when you have that much money to play with.

as for trying to make something dirty about gm crushing their ev's, well thats what happens. they crushed their entire fleet of turbine cars except for a few saved for display when those were proved unviable too. no big conspiracy, just the fact they wanted to avoid liability/tax/and support for parts/service for 10 years if they sold the thing.

the simple fact is the ev1 weighs as much as a prius and only carried two people. they say they could up it to 200+miles range with an upgrade? so what? a prius can go over 600 miles on a tank and take 5 minutes to refill and go on another 600. and it does that with the interior room of a camry too. i don't think the ev1 would have scaled very well, make it bigger and heavier and you add more batteries and it gets bad fast.

and well, gas was what? 1.50 in the 90's? gas is 2.50 now and suv sales have been going up again these last few months. even hummers.

and well the dismissive way he addresses the ev1's limited range by saying thats all most people need...well really. most people can get by and live in a 1 room apartment too, but they don't. they can take the bus but they dont. its silly, and even sillier to pretend people should buy two cars so they can support an ev1.

For most people that would work 90%+ of the time.

almost no trucks or suvs would be sold if that kind of thinking actually were reality. how many trucks do you see on the road with an actual load of gravel in the back, most of the time they are empty:p anyways how much could this ev1 sell for while making a profit? at the time a geo metro was what? 10k? 50mpg. what would give you more bang per buck. you could probably use the money saved to buy solar panels for your house or something.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: desy
Pirvate airplanes and motorcycles are also 'unsuitable for travel' lots of times yet there are many of those?
Would be perfect for us as a two car family!

u buyin a telsa?;)

i mean i bet its fun, but most of us can't afford a tesla or personal aircraft..and don't want to risk life and limb on a bike.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
oh, so it was copyright infringement. for a second there i thought the director had given permission to put it out or something.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Click my link RE cheap electric Smarts, not sports car Tesla's
Point was, there is a market niche just like for Hummer H1's or Vespa scoots
If peak oil is here +- a few years then the ability to mobalize a large electric fleet and cut electrical uses elsewhere could do more to make NA oil independant.

Take all that Gulf war money and spend it at home building and putting in high effeciency appliances and and cooling in buildings, create a boatload of jobs and money recirculation without world disorder.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Number1
This smells like another conspiracy theory movie.
No thanks.

:thumbsdown:

obviously anything that speaks out against the oil industries is conspiracy theory. It's a very well made documentary actually