"Who Killed PC Gaming?"

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
What happened in 2007? The graph suddenly jumps 28% that year.

edit:
One part of the article is flat out retarded. Slide 7, Windows Vista.
Vista's security measures were highly annoying to certain indie developers, since programs without the right software certificates would often be deleted by the OS. Vista also had very high system requirements and PC games typically ran slower than they did in Windows XP.

The author should probably just kill himself since he can't even figure out how to use google. Vista vs XP. As for software not working, Vista only requires certificates if you're installing drivers. Why is your game trying to install hardware drivers?? Oh and Vista requires an extra 256mb of memory to run which is worth approximately $3. I'm sure people are just starving to death over expenses like that.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Good article, all makes sense :thumbsup:

Originally posted by: ShawnD1
The author should probably just kill himself since he can't even figure out how to use google. Vista vs XP. As for software not working, Vista only requires certificates if you're installing drivers. Why is your game trying to install hardware drivers?? Oh and Vista requires an extra 256mb of memory to run which is worth approximately $3. I'm sure people are just starving to death over expenses like that.

Vista was a crock of shit for gaming in 2007, personal experience and the fact that people dont whine for nothing says it all. Its fine now but back then... no... just no...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I agree with almost everything there.
And I seriously believe Microsoft killed PC gaming on purpose. But I've already stated my opinions on that in the other 20 threads we already have on this subject.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: shortylickens
And I seriously believe Microsoft killed PC gaming on purpose. But I've already stated my opinions on that in the other 20 threads we already have on this subject.

We need MOAR threads until the PC platform is useful only for business apps, twitter, and facebook.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Most PC gamers seem to forget that 2007 has been one of the best PC gaming year of this decade, it's probably one of two or three others in total that stand out from the rest to this day, we've had plenty of nice PC games, even ported from consoles.

In 2007, for PC (included console ports) we've had BioShock, Resident Evil 4, The Witcher, Universe at War, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, CoH Opposing Fronts, TESIV Shivering Isles, H-L 2 Episode Two, Crysis, C&C 3, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Portal, HoMM V Tribes of the East, Enemy Territory QW, WoW The Burning Crusade, Lost Planet, Loki, STALKER SoC, FEAR Perseus Mandate, NWN 2 Mask of the Betrayer, Two Worlds, UT 3, LOTR Online Shadows of Angmar, Shadowgrounds Survivor, MoH Airborne, TF2, Gears of War, Halo 2, Jade Empire SE, Painkiller Overdose, Call of Duty 4, WH40K Dark Crusade, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Medieval II: TW Kingdoms, Galactic Civilizations 2, Civilizations 4 Beyond the Sword... and hmmm, well I think that's about it?

It's certainly subjective, but that list is one of the best we've had for a period of a year of releases of this entire decade on the PC platform, and either the actual games of that list are awesome or not is irrelevant to the point, being that it's still about the best year we've had between 2000 and now, not the very best, but one of them, if not on the top three. That, to me, would clearly explain the rise for that year on the graphic. And what we've had in 2008 and so far this year understandably blinds a lot of people about what happened only two years ago, 2007 was a damn fine year.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenoth
That, to me, would clearly explain the rise for that year on the graphic. And what we've had in 2008 and so far this year understandably blinds a lot of people about what happened only two years ago, 2007 was a damn fine year.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly but from that graph it looks like PC gaming SALES were stagnant in 2007 and it was consoles that was actually responsible for the huge jump.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Any Article on this subject that excludes Digital Distribution and Subscriptions is full of Fail and complete BS. Not going to waste my time reading it.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
Any Article on this subject that excludes Digital Distribution and Subscriptions is full of Fail and complete BS. Not going to waste my time reading it.

That is true but the fewer games for PC there are, the less that will matter anyway. You can't digitally distribute what doesn't exist. The only games I see that won't be affected by current trends are the MMOs and even those may some day be playable on consoles.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: Zenoth
That, to me, would clearly explain the rise for that year on the graphic. And what we've had in 2008 and so far this year understandably blinds a lot of people about what happened only two years ago, 2007 was a damn fine year.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly but from that graph it looks like PC gaming SALES were stagnant in 2007 and it was consoles that was actually responsible for the huge jump.

That's the case indeed, I stand corrected, I thought it was the opposite, serves me well for only taking a fast glance at that graphic. Well, you know, I do believe that console gaming was good in 2007 from what I remember, and many of the games I mentioned were console ports, but they were not what I would call bad games, to me console doesn't automatically mean bad gaming, it's usually console ports that end up screwed up. But, anyhow, either on console or PC, 2007 was fine, I'm actually surprised to see a decline in PC sales for that year compared to the previous ones, oh well, such is life.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

That is true but the fewer games for PC there are, the less that will matter anyway. You can't digitally distribute what doesn't exist. The only games I see that won't be affected by current trends are the MMOs and even those may some day be playable on consoles.

Maybe. PC Games offers far more Re-playability. That means that Sales isn't much of an indicator concerning this question.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: shortylickens

i don't have to read it to know that MS basically did it

BUT - i do not agree that it was "on purpose"

they are just greedy and incompetent - they want it both ways - console and PC and they cannot pull it off so they decided to shift gears and push Xbox

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Maximilian

Good article, all makes sense :thumbsup:

Originally posted by: ShawnD1

Vista was a crock of shit for gaming in 2007, personal experience and the fact that people dont whine for nothing says it all. Its fine now but back then... no... just no...

the fact that people don't whine for nothing? is this your 1st time on the internet? that statement alone tells me to NEVER believe a word you say.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

You can't digitally distribute what doesn't exist.

It does exist. It's just microscopic. :confused:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: TehMac

What I mean is (and my whole post you quoted says this I think), if there are fewer and fewer games coming out for PC (ie. that Alan Wake rumour is an example), then digital distribution wouldn't matter anyway especially if it's microscopic. I'm curious to see how much digital sales would add to that graph though.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005

What I mean is (and my whole post you quoted says this I think), if there are fewer and fewer games coming out for PC (ie. that Alan Wake rumour is an example), then digital distribution wouldn't matter anyway especially if it's microscopic. I'm curious to see how much digital sales would add to that graph though.

personally, i could care less about alan wake..good riddance

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

i, on the other hand, couldn't care less because it's been in development for so long and i've barely heard a peep about it :D

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
PC gaming is trending towards MMO pay to play type content... or at least games that are fully co=op based (Left4dead and team fortress for instance).

I played LOTRO for over a year... fantastic game but became too much of a time sink so I quit... miss the people though.

I think PC gaming to doing well... we aren't getting a shit ton of titles but we are still getting high quality, fun titles IMO. I personally need no more than 4-5 good new games a year, tops to keep me plenty happy. And I still play many of my oldie titles like silent hunter 3, titan quest, far cry 1...

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Command and Conquer 4 is announced as a PC exclusive. Thank god EA chose to not also simplify it down for the console controller.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

Technically speaking, by your logic, a good chunk, maybe 75% or so, of the world's money doesn't actually exist in physical form either--it's stored electronically. Do you think that people like Bill Gates could go to their bank and withdraw all their savings in one blow, in actual physical cash (dollar bills, etc)? Nope, not possible, even if they wanted to.

@EvilComp2, I detect some sarcasm, C&C is dumbed down no matter what. :p

Personally, I could hardly give a shit, as long as Creative Assembly is still around churning out Total War games, I'm a happy camper.

Sooner or later, the consoles and PCs will merge into one gaming platform and these arguments will be rendered irrelevant. Until then, mouse >>>>>>>> controller.

What an absolute piece of shit. And the games they make are for 12 year olds, I went over to my friends house to see what he was up to, and he was glued to his xbox 360, mashing some buttons over a boxing game. How fucking boring and unexciting is that?