who is wrenching today?

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
I'm a noob :oops:

That's why I was asking here.

BTW, I'm curious, what's the worst that could happen if I jb welded that?

Also why does JB weld state car axles&hubs as an application?
http://jbweld.net/products/uses.php

They say "axles and hubs" but don't say what in an axle or hub you can JB weld. I can't imagine what you'd want to JB weld on either one of those... even low-load items like ABS sensors wouldn't be worth the risk IMHO.

Good luck getting anything that resembles a decent adhesive joint on that thing. I would much sooner take it to a welder and have it tacked back together.

If it broke after JB-welding it you'd have chucks of JB weld and whatever reinforcing material you used floating around everywhere in the CV joint. Bad news. A reman'd half-shaft assembly is around $60-70... just do it right. A failure could easily turn into a "call a tow truck" fiasco, if not worse, and will undoubtedly happen at the worst possible time.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Changed out the cv axle on my Saab 9-5 Aero, I've been having problems with vibration on acceleration, I am hoping that this resolved the problem.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
They say "axles and hubs" but don't say what in an axle or hub you can JB weld. I can't imagine what you'd want to JB weld on either one of those... even low-load items like ABS sensors wouldn't be worth the risk IMHO.

Good luck getting anything that resembles a decent adhesive joint on that thing. I would much sooner take it to a welder and have it tacked back together.

If it broke after JB-welding it you'd have chucks of JB weld and whatever reinforcing material you used floating around everywhere in the CV joint. Bad news. A reman'd half-shaft assembly is around $60-70... just do it right. A failure could easily turn into a "call a tow truck" fiasco, if not worse, and will undoubtedly happen at the worst possible time.

Listen to this man, the risks far outweigh any cost saving.

Today I am tearing down a 302 to see if I can salvage the block on this knocking engine.

Oh forgot to tell you guys, Bought a 95 mustang that needs engine and had recently been broken into so panels and interior is rough as well. I am rebuilding the engine and giving the car to my nephew as a gift for finishing law school. Little turd is gonna go crazy. Hes been driving a 98 altima with 360k miles.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
^The mustang part has me thinking about telling amustang joke at my brothers wedding, turns out the brides 2 brothers drive them and are cops, I guess I will have to be careful when driving though Texarkana.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Installed a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT in my car. Pretty easy. One problem: The harness I bought didn't have a wire for the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Went online found it. Dug out a wire tap installed everything. Can't really test the VSS without having the car rolling. I had to put it all back together because I have to shift gears some how (5-speed)

Well the only thing that didn't work was the VSS. :( Called crutchfield.com and found a few more sources. Verified I had indeed tapped the right wire. I gave up working on it around midnight last night. It's no fun working in an apartment complex's parking lot with no day light :\ Turns out that the wire tap I used was crap. The wire that I was tapping was near the bottom of tap's wire gauge recommendation. Went out bought another one today. Works perfectly!

All connections soldered and heatshrunk. No electrical tape :D Looks super clean behind the unit.

4a2ced6e-7cf9-a19e.jpg

Last edited:

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
did an oil change last night, upon start up and checks for leakage i saw the serp belt look weird. turns out both belts went bad, just changes 6 months ago. the main belt split in 2 and was flaping around. the P/S belt i guess due to flapping lost one of the 4 ribs somehow.

$50 later got my gates belt.waiting for rockauto to warranty it

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
Changed the oil for the first time in the Jeep Grand Cherokee (used to always just let someone else do it). Went with Mobil 1 and a Mopar filter. Was a fun experience, but the day after wasn't as exciting.

Turned the key the next day to head out and watch the last game of the season for the lowly Colts. One click was all I got. Tried several different times throughout the day, but always the same thing. I've had issues before, and waiting or fiddling with the battery always got things working. Not this time.

Bought a new starter after testing the battery with my piddly multimeter, as all the connections checked out. After 2 hours or more, I finally got it in there. Would've been a piece of cake if it wasn't for the tight space I had to work with. I had absolutely no room to work with, and was literally getting about 1/16th of a turn with a wrench between the two beams.

Anyhoo, new starter installed and the old Jeep starts jest fine now. Was probably my biggest repair yet (I'm a newb), so pretty exciting for me I guess. THough the excitement wears off after being under a car for 2-3 hours fighting with wrenches and sockets.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I did front brakes on my CTS-V about two weeks ago. The pads were shot...I replaced the rotors as well. The rotors are huge, heh...

brakes1.jpg

brakes2.jpg

brakes3.jpg

brakes4.jpg

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Listen to this man, the risks far outweigh any cost saving.

Today I am tearing down a 302 to see if I can salvage the block on this knocking engine.

Oh forgot to tell you guys, Bought a 95 mustang... .

Build thread?? :D

Wiki says 13.97" front, 14.37" rear..sounds about right.

wtfbbq. thats how big my stock triangle rims are!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Larger rear brakes? wtfbbq?

My MR2 also has slightly larger rear rotors; not entirely sure why:
http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/wheels_forum/index.php?topic=54871.495;wap2
MR2 Brake Size Info:
Front Pad area: 50cm2 (1993); 49cm2 (1991/92)
Front Wheel Cylinder diam: same for 91-93 (36.5mm)
Front Rotor Size (D X T): 275 x 30mm [10.8"x1.2"] (93); 258 x 25 [10.1"x1.0"] (91/92)
Front Rotor Weight: 14lbs (93)

Rear Pad area: same for 91-93 ... 36mm inner; 35mm outer
Rear Wheel Cylinder Diam: 42.9mm (93); 41.3mm (91/92)
Rear Rotor Size (D x T): 281 x 22mm [11.0"x0.8"] (93); 263 x 16mm [10.3"x0.6"] (91/92)
Rear Rotor Weight: 11lbs (93)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
isnt the wheel size staggered on most MKII's? Could that have something to do with it? Must be a way to make up for front bias

Wheel width is staggered, but not diameter, and the CTS-V has same size tires all around. Brake bias and pad size has more to do with braking than simply rotor size, though, maybe the larger brake rotors in the rear (non-vented in the MR2, IIRC) are for heat dissipation more than anything else?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
been wrenching a few days now. I wanted to get my injection pump calibrated and balanced out, and also has some business across the state so I took a road trip to a diesel pump shop that would let me use a bay to pull my pump. Very nice folks.
I drove 341 miles and used 13 gallons, for a new high MPG number of 26+!
I started back the next day but the thermostat was stuck. engine never got up to normal and that whacked the mileage down to 21. I covered up the rad for the last leg and got 26 again. :)
today I'll go get a 'stat, but no way was I changing it out in the 20 degree weather.
The entire trip was without a cooling fan, I left it home.

Last edited: