who is wrenching today?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Im just about to head to NAPA and grab all new belts and a master cylinder for my 84 GMC pickup. Bleeding the brakes is going to suck, alot.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Get a power bleeder?

I wish i had the cash. I broke one of the bleeders off one of the front calipers and had to go and buy a new one which i wasnt expecting and now im even more broke but at least my brakes dont leak anymore.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Those boxes are going to look fantastic Skyking.
Thanks! Tomorrow I'll get the cables measured and made from the battery box to the starter. 2/0 welding cable.
I'll test fit the boxes to the truck, and then take them back off and take the truck for fresh paint, new grille, headlights.
In the next week or so I'll build a wooden buck and fabricate a custom bumper from 11 Ga. steel. The buck is a form or jig for constructing the bumper from pieces.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
I wish i had the cash. I broke one of the bleeders off one of the front calipers and had to go and buy a new one which i wasnt expecting and now im even more broke but at least my brakes dont leak anymore.

Autozone has the free lend a tool program (or whatever it's called), ask about a power brake bleeder. I got a cooling system pressure tester for the afternoon for free.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Put the truck up on the lift and measured for the new battery cables. A friend made them and brought them down for us. Tomorrow I'll mount the battery box and install the battery. Wheelchair project is ready to assemble I'll snap some pics of that.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Background: My sister's husband has been down for about 5 months with a deep infection. He has just now gotten back in a chair. Doc says he needs to get off his butt, and prescribed a power wheelchair that tilts to about 45 degrees. It weighs 150 pounds and gets stuck on anything.
They are traveling to UK for several weeks. The power chair is not workable, it cannot be assisted in any way up even a 4 inch step. Hosts have a station wagon which is fine with his usual titanium chair, impossible with the power chair.

I get his regular chair and some materials and make something up as I go.
I pick up a headrest at the wheelchair supply, some A36 tubing at the metal store,
Bike handlebar wrap at the bike shop.

chairmods3.jpg

Lower mount picks up the wheelie bar mounts and a couple of bolts to triangulate the load. We weld on new wheelie bar sockets on our lower mount and cut and re-drill wheelie bars. .065 tube is still too heavy so I drill lightening holes.

chairmods5.jpg

Upper mount is fastened to backrest uprights at existing tapped holes on the left and right, and clamped to crosstube with nylon block clamp from wheelchair supply house.

chairmods7.jpg

Handle/leg assembly. Sorry for the crappy light photos.

chairmods8.jpg

Final product. handle is wrapped with cork bike tape. Support rod carries load.
Headrest fits into socket on upper mount, adjust with wingnut.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
On my 92 Eldo:
Temporarily fixed a bad wiper arm, will need to replace the arm eventually, knurled portion worn/corroded.

Put new AC/Delco Extreme duty disc brake pads on the front - I swear I heard the old wear indicators screeching, after pulling the wheel - still had a decent amount left on them - went ahead and replaced them anyway - noticeable increase in stopping power.

Lubed to 2 remaining zerks in the front suspension. (tie rod ends)

Repaired/fixed wheelwell trim fiancee snagged and bent walking by the car. :mad:

Pretty light wrenching day.

The new GN will be here in ~2 weeks, then the real fun begins. :thumbsup:

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Fixing up the riding mower today.

New hydro-drive belt. New blades. New starter relay.

Needed a new battery, but I figured my little jumper box would do it.....and, it's flooded and the box wasn't plugged in and doesn't have enough juice to turn the motor. Wonderful.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Many times I've jacked up a car and thought the brakes were worn, only to find the perfect sized rock got behind the backing plate. Give the plate a little pry with one screwdriver and pop the (now polished) rock outwith another. No harm no foul.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did you ever find out what WAS screeching?

Not yet.

It has to be the rear brake pads, but I replaced those a few years ago, and I have never seen a rear set go that fast. I hope it's not a stuck caliper or something. (rear disc obviously)

I replaced them ~5 years ago, but I don't drive much, so we will have to see.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Many times I've jacked up a car and thought the brakes were worn, only to find the perfect sized rock got behind the backing plate. Give the plate a little pry with one screwdriver and pop the (now polished) rock outwith another. No harm no foul.

Good tip, thanks

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Remove the windshield wiper arms and cowl and lubed up the linkages on my 96 SL2. After 15 years, the wipers were starting to move slowly. All good now!

5150MyU

Jan 16, 2011
Last night, front pads on a 2002 Lincoln LS-simple easy.
One fog light and one marker bulb.
On the marker bulb I probably could have used a screw driver rapped in cloth to just pop the lense out but I wasn't sure so I took the headlight bucket out-only took 5 minutes.

Next up:multi-function switch (blinker switch) on a 1996 Lumina (left brake light inop).

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Battery cables and battery box, air compressor system

woodboxes25.jpg

2/0 welding cable

woodboxes21.jpg

Battery box, group 4 marine battery, compressor relays and valves

woodboxes22.jpg

compressor area. Box is vented and screened off with plastic window screen epoxied over vents to keep critters out.

Tomorrow I'll peel the door rubber and emblems off with a heat gun and sand cab for paint.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
tommorow will be more work on the truck, getting a new set of tires and installed. Then going home to install a new fuel pump. As well as new window actuators on both doors.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Wednesday we removed the rubber bumper strips, badges, SLT emblems, black decals, grille, and a great deal of oxidized paint
783.gif

Today I'll pull off one of the mirrors and everything else I can and still be legal, buy the paint and go to the paint booth with it. We should have it done by Sunday.