who is wrenching today?

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i put the 1000s on a chev. and i had the 5000s on another. the 1000s seemed to keep getting holes from nothing. the 5000s were much better. not sure on the suspension setup on those. McPherson? or separate shock/spring? will be interested to see how you fit them. it's a cool rig to keep around.

as far as wrenching, i need to do brakes on my transit, got the Lincoln / Kohler welder going for a job, and i'm due for oil changes on 3 things. spring is busy. i should probably do an oil change on the tractor as well. the lcd screen for the hours is shot. so its harder to keep track. need to take it apart and see if i can get a screen from digikey or something.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
they fit right inside the rear coils so size matters.
21983suspension_under_right-med.jpg

They do leak at the top of the bag connection, people have added fix-a-flat on some. it is a big community with lots of fun stuff and the utility is hard to beat for a $3000 beater purchased many years and miles ago. I think it had 130K when I got it, now at 180.
50K miles @ ~46 MPG it has saved me some coin.

Reactions: herm0016

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
nice. hopefully they hold up. maybe the red ones are better now. do you put some kind of puck on top and bottom to protect them?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
nice. hopefully they hold up. maybe the red ones are better now. do you put some kind of puck on top and bottom to protect them?
61C3E6-VhOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
WRX got an extended warranty for the DCM, which now that the 3G network was sunsetted, constantly tries to find it and drains the battery. I've had to leave it on a tender for months. I took it in for what they are calling a bypass box, got home and realized my microphone doesn't work now. Splicing the mic wire/s is part of the procedure so another goofed up dealer experience.

• Wow
Reactions: skyking

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Actually I was able to it open much easier than I thought. Still some effort but I used a regular sized hammer to shock it and there a convenient place for me to pry it off. Hopefully it goes back in and I didn't bend or break it somehow. A replacement surprisingly isn't that expensive and I can always find a junk yard part I guess but just hoping this one will work. Damn pos $3 o ring causing all this trouble

Now I discovered two more leaks. One from the petcock and another I cant seem to pinpoint. After i filled the radiator with more fluid i started noticing a slow drip underneath the transmission where the engine and tranny meet, the lowest point of the engine/tranny block. I can't for hte life of me trace it back anywhere. What would someone suggest for a next step? rent a coolant pressure tester from autozone?

I'm wondering if i never noticed this before since I had all of the underbelly plastic shielding on, or if it's because I had all of the rad fluid drained from my car for like two weeks while doing the water pump and some seals started drying up. either way it's a royal pain in the ass trying to chase leaks down. If i didnt have the whole car ripped apart already for my rack and pinion i might just take it to the shop to have them diagnose this.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It's a straight up bastard. One thing I would maybe try doing is if you have compressed air drying it out completely by blowing on it and then if you have to use a fan and just go away go find something else to do. Then put fluid in there and either rig up your own tester or borrow one.
Give it about 5 PSI and see if you can force a leak.
Don't go any higher. Don't go looking for trouble.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Now I discovered two more leaks. One from the petcock and another I cant seem to pinpoint. After i filled the radiator with more fluid i started noticing a slow drip underneath the transmission where the engine and tranny meet, the lowest point of the engine/tranny block. I can't for hte life of me trace it back anywhere. What would someone suggest for a next step? rent a coolant pressure tester from autozone?

I'm wondering if i never noticed this before since I had all of the underbelly plastic shielding on, or if it's because I had all of the rad fluid drained from my car for like two weeks while doing the water pump and some seals started drying up. either way it's a royal pain in the ass trying to chase leaks down. If i didnt have the whole car ripped apart already for my rack and pinion i might just take it to the shop to have them diagnose this.
what engine/car? maybe i missed it in the posts. check your heater hose connections by the firewall. should be passenger side.

I had the heater T in my suburban blow out one day and made a hell of a cloud of steam blowing right onto the manifold. luckily near home. replaced plastic quick connect with brass and hose clamps. much better.

Reactions: Motostu

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
You could try this. I believe the yellow-green colour typical of many antifreezes is because it contains fluorescene which glows in ultraviolet light. So if you get yourself a cheap "black light" and use it in a darker space, that light should make any leaked antifreeze glow so you can trace its path. First, check whether a small sample of the antifreeze mix from your rad does glow under that light.

Reactions: skyking

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
what engine/car? maybe i missed it in the posts. check your heater hose connections by the firewall. should be passenger side.

I had the heater T in my suburban blow out one day and made a hell of a cloud of steam blowing right onto the manifold. luckily near home. replaced plastic quick connect with brass and hose clamps. much better.

It's a 2007 Lexus RX350 - 2GR-FE V6 transverse engine.

I just replaced a rattling / leaking water pump and as I was putting the car back together and filled it up with coolant i noticed a blatantly bad leak on the opposite end which turned out to be a pinched / flat o-ring that i replaced. I put everything back together and filled up with coolant but still have a very slow phantom leak from somewhere I cant pinpoint. there is a bubbling drip that shows up between my transmission bell housing and engine, the lowest point of the vehicle and directly above where I had replaced the Oring. I am wondering if there are small cracks from the original coolant leak that the rad fluid is leaking through. I did start the vehicle briefly to get the engine up to temp but I didnt run through the proper burping sequence yet. I just wanted to see if regular pressure would force a leak somewhere. I'll post pictures later today.

I think i'm going to pause from tracing down this leak and moving on to my rack and pinion, in which i already have about 40% of the parts ripped apart. That way I can get the tires back on, back the car out of the garage and hose it down properly, as right now i have spilled rad fluid all over the place from filling, the water pump that i replaced, and the o ring mess after.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I rented a tool from Orielly to pull the front bearing and spindle apart. The outside inner race pulled out of the bearing assembly so I will have to grind and split that off the spindle.
PXL_20240528_034222346.jpg

PXL_20240528_034225525.jpg

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Tomorrow (Sat), 2004 Trailblazer EXT gonna get a new thermostat/outlet, coolant temp sensor and cable, flushy fill, and maybe a new idler pulley.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
So far so good, went from the wheel/fender well approach instead of top down. I do not think it was all that must easier, contrary to some reports, given the contorted access to install the bolts for the thermostat housing and how many times they fell while trying to position or get started. Only minimal skin lost and blood shed though, and no leaks (so far?). :p :sunglasses: