who is wrenching today?

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
No sarcasm here: Have you considered an electric scooter or something?
Solid questions, and yes. But even with current fuel prices I only spend about $2 per day for commuting. Annnnnnnd, the weather is difficult for a large portion of my work year (I drive school bus). Realistically I could ride a scooter for August and September, maybe a couple weeks in October. Then again some of April, all of May, and two weeks in June. So maybe 80 days per year.

It would take quite a few years to offset the cost of an electric scooter.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
two weeks ago Darling Wife came home with a low tire warning on her VW.
I pulled it off the car and found it, a tiny little tube like a big hypodermic needle that both opened a hole and kept it open.
Driving home today she noticed a noise out in front of Les Schwab and Firestone, and within a few miles the same tire shows up on the display. I check it at Safeway and decide to run for home.
It is flat when she parks it. I put air and find a big leak in the tread
PXL_20240116_002712148.jpg

and then spotted this!

PXL_20240116_002700362.jpg

I grabbed some pliers and this is as far as I got. I think it is a steel wheel weight and the clip is hung up and I can't pull it through.
I had never heard of a steel wheel weight, but when I searched I found out they are a thing now.
:angryfire:

PXL_20240116_003848277.jpg

Those tire shops are seeding the road now.

• Wow
Reactions: Indus and Motostu

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
My tire shop has a used 235/50R19 which is hard to believe, but welcome. I can get another season out of these tires and I also have a spare set of 17's with the same diameter tires on them to put on also.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Pulled a 2" lag bolt out of one of the tires on my wife's car last week. Lots of construction around here, and unfortunately too much of their stuff ends up on the road. A single plug fixed it, thankfully.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Both of the headlights on my 13 y.o. car started collecting moisture recently. This is what it takes to get them out to work on them.
300982e93d74970ab97f02721413fb44.jpg

After some testing it seems it was just the bulb access cover seals that were causing the issue. Dried the headlights out and used some rubber grease on the seals then put it all back together. Hopefully will be good again for a while, because that's a lot of work just for headlights!
26a594182fcf492dd37c052e9a24999b.jpg

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Auto designers who take NO account of the ease or difficulty in performing routine maintenance tasks really make me mad. I have a leak in the exhaust system part between the engine exhaust manifold and the Cat Converter on my 2014 Mazda 3. According to the shop manual for this, to remove / replace that you have to remove several shields and then loosen off the engine from its mounts to move it and gain access to the exhaust part. PLUS, that part is some combo of flexible pipe and first-stage Cat Converter (yes, apparently it has two), so it is expensive!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
in the past 3 months i had have had 4 flats. one bolt, one screw one nail in my buick and a nail in a tractor tire. i think in the past 10 years i had about that many in various tires/vehicles.

@skyking lead is bad. have never seen one stick in the side like that! dang. lucky.

• Wow
Reactions: Indus

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The tire shop charged me a flat $50 for a decent replacement, mounted and balanced. Can't beat that with a stick.
They said those steel weights do not stay on as well as the old lead ones. They for sure are a lot more lethal for the tires, when they do end up as a road hazard.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I am pondering tearing into the 14.6 liter 3500 pound 3406b in the company dump truck.
It has leaked for a while but this is getting worse.
I took it to the truck shop for an estimate, and my guess is something near $6000!
They say the front cover all the way back behind the gears, the injection pump, the side cover behind it, the pan gasket and the rear main.
I really don't see much from the rear main so I would leave that for the next clutch job ( the next guy after me, LOL. The clutch is fine.)
This is way above my pay grade.
A whole lot of it is overhead and my shoulders are barking, just thinking about it.
Things are slow and I have some online friends who do this to help me out along the way, and I have a ringer I can call in when I am going back together. It is the same guy who helped me with getting the house back on the tracks on the 120.

The 3500 pound number has significance. All the parts are scaled to that. I have no idea what the oil pan weighs, but I will be rigging up a jack.
There is a special bracket for pulling the fuel injection pump, and you use an engine hoist for that.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
good engines. should get main bearings every 250 to 300k.

sounds "fun" I don't think i would do it unless i had a proper shop, at least a hoist of some kind and big impact wrenches. if you are going that far, may as well do a full in frame rebuild.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
IMO, better to pay a shop to do it. Easier on your body, less chance of something happening to force you into L&I then retirement early, and probably comes with a warranty.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It would be lots better if the boss wants to pay the bill. I think he's going to balk at 6000 for changing a bunch of gaskets.
There's no way that I would do an in-frame on this engine. It has 214,000 original miles and runs perfectly. It just has 32 years on the gaskets lol.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It would be lots better if the boss wants to pay the bill. I think he's going to balk at 6000 for changing a bunch of gaskets.
There's no way that I would do an in-frame on this engine. It has 214,000 original miles and runs perfectly. It just has 32 years on the gaskets lol.
Well…$6k will buy a LOT of oil…and didn’t you say he was thinking about retirement and his kids have no interest in the business?

Reactions: spdfreak

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I picked it up from the shop, and do not have an estimate yet.
If the job does not go tomorrow, I will clean it up and look it over myself. The mechanic who looked at it said he thought it was mostly from the area of the injection pump.
One of my online mechanic friends says those O-rings can really dump the oil.
That is not nearly as involved as the front cover job.
The radiator and intercooler can probably stay in place, virtually everything can stay.
The shop is quoting all those other gaskets because a typical customer is going to want a dry engine when they are done.
I don't care if the pan and cover weep a bit, as long as we can capture the new gusher.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I will also look at fitting it with a diaper holder for now. Those oil absorb mats hold a ton of oil.