Who is waiting for Crysis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: destrekor
I can milk more higher-quality details thanks to my lower res. :D

My DirectX 9 AMD X1950 Pro 512mb AGP, 32bit XP on a 1600x1200 20.1" LCD is lactating in fear of higher-quality details at my higher res.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Nightmare225
Originally posted by: Ichigo
I might be interested if anything besides the graphics truly impressed me.

Here, read up on it.
;) http://www.gamesradar.com/us/x...Id=2007022792642821021

i love how its under the 360 previews section. Its not even been verified by any consoles, especially not in the graphical incarnation that's represented.
it's also sad that the consoles are not capable of DX10 instructions. (both the RSX and Xenos are based off DX9 tech, and are not coded for the latest pixel shaders and whatnot).

regardless, although it may come out, in some incarnation, for the PS3 (and possibly 360), its not verified. Only news is there are people hired to code/port games, at Crysis, for the PS3. Here's to hoping, although I'd prefer the DX10 flavor on my PC, and mouse and keyboard. :)

here's question though:
is there any official word, or even mumblings, as to when Crysis will be released? It seems the gaming websites are pegging early January as the release, and that hasn't seemed to changed, well, since I've been following the hopeful release date.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Nightmare225
Originally posted by: Ichigo
I might be interested if anything besides the graphics truly impressed me.

Here, read up on it.
;) http://www.gamesradar.com/us/x...Id=2007022792642821021

Yes, you can pick up, throw and even beat people with live chickens. You can pick up, throw and beat people with anything smaller than a car, and in this we include wheelbarrows, spades, tree trunks, grown men and even most of a car. At one point in our playtest we shot a man?s helmet off, caught it, beat him to the ground with it, shot him again and dropped it on his body. Anything smaller than a tree can be held in your left hand while you fire with your right, even when you?re using an assault rifle or shotgun, so alternating between bonging people with a spade and shooting them in the face is seamless. They even encourage you to beat people when they?re down by introducing a chance that a fallen soldier will get back up if you don?t. This, again, is what a game should be about.

:laugh:

Ok, I'm still reading, and this was too funny to ignore, yet very impressive...

But here?s the really crazy part: it took Crytek two years to make it possible to shoot a tree in half. They got it working the day before they had to demo it to the press, a video of the presentation quickly went online, and just as quickly racked up 50 million downloads. So it was worth doing, but it was inordinately hard.

A big part of the reason for that is that the AI has to understand that a fallen chunk of tree is cover. It has to deal with and exploit an environment that can dramatically change with every gunshot. When they first implemented this, Senior Game Designer Bernd Diemer discovered that he could grab a fallen tree and hold it in front of him to become completely invisible to the AI. This tactic is frowned upon in the real military as unsporting, so it had to be tactfully explained to the AI that a walking tree is deeply suspicious.

:laugh: :laugh:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
But here?s the really crazy part: it took Crytek two years to make it possible to shoot a tree in half. They got it working the day before they had to demo it to the press, a video of the presentation quickly went online, and just as quickly racked up 50 million downloads. So it was worth doing, but it was inordinately hard.

A big part of the reason for that is that the AI has to understand that a fallen chunk of tree is cover. It has to deal with and exploit an environment that can dramatically change with every gunshot. When they first implemented this, Senior Game Designer Bernd Diemer discovered that he could grab a fallen tree and hold it in front of him to become completely invisible to the AI. This tactic is frowned upon in the real military as unsporting, so it had to be tactfully explained to the AI that a walking tree is deeply suspicious.

:D

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

Bwahaha, that is a classic line, right there.

Crysis looks really nice, and sounds fun to play, but Alan Wake is the game that will motivate me to buy a DX10 card.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Raduque

Bwahaha, that is a classic line, right there.

Crysis looks really nice, and sounds fun to play, but Alan Wake is the game that will motivate me to buy a DX10 card.

now when the hell is that game supposed to be released? i remember it having been reported to be a 360 launch title. what was that, a year and a half ago? :D

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
now when the hell is that game supposed to be released? i remember it having been reported to be a 360 launch title. what was that, a year and a half ago? :D

:confused:

Crysis was announced in January 2006, two months after the 360's launch. AFAIK they haven't set any official dates, but hopefully we can get something by 2008.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy

Crysis was announced in January 2006, two months after the 360's launch. AFAIK they haven't set any official dates, but hopefully we can get something by 2008.

I was referring to Alan Wake. ;)

biff 24 2000

Jun 1, 2005
i can't wait for Crysis to come out, hopefully the gameplay will be similar to FarCry as i loved that game.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

"Hey Joe, did you see something move over there?"

"Oh that's just the trees walking around again, don't worry about it"

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy

I was referring to Alan Wake. ;)

I've read rumblings over at AW forums about 2008. Q3 or so, maybe.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Me too. I'm not sure if I will pre-order or wait until it is out though.

I can't wait. I think it will have a good deal of replay value even on single player mode. Multi is going to be FUN!!!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Duddy
First I have to wait on the $5,000 PC I need to run it.

When I get that, then I'll be all over that Crysis stuff!

Just a 500-600 dollar video card. (Next Generation of course)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Regs
Originally posted by: Duddy
First I have to wait on the $5,000 PC I need to run it.

When I get that, then I'll be all over that Crysis stuff!

Just a 500-600 dollar video card. (Next Generation of course)

and possibly a processor, and an extra gig of ram in my case

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I admit that I will go all out for Crysis -- as silly as it sounds. As for my other games, running BF2 already @ 14xSSAA means I should use 64xAA with SLI 8900 GTXs :D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: montypythizzle
The difference between DX9 and DX10 are subtle, but noticeable. What are the performance costs?

severe in CoJ and Lost Planet in my experience ...

i am playing on my CRT at 11x8/12x9 because i can't get enough details on my LCD at 14x9

the solution is a second GPU for me

yes, i am planning to get it right away